Page 1 of 2
I just searched 7 pages of "driving" through the searchbar and still didn't find anything that came close around it really... Oh well

Ok, so I'm 18 and here in Missouri, you can start learning to drive at 17, then you can finally get your license at 18. It had seemed easy watching everyone else drive to me, and a couple of my friends can already drive. But the first time I drove about 5 months ago when I almost turned 18, I was like shaking, i couldn't be steady, sht, I was used to playing Need For Speed and Burnout and Gran Turismo and stuff that like on video games, its like the sensitivity is ultra ultra high now and I always sucked using the steering wheel with my game anyways, but I know, I know, video games aren't real life.

He was telling me to brake all early, like half a block from the red light but even though I did, i felt like if I push it too soon, I would stop like 100 feet back from the next car, but pushed too late, I would push really hard, and almost fly out the window, or hit my face on the steering wheel, which I did once that day. and I couldn't turn for sht, always turned too wide or too thin. Had other cars behind me cuz i was going slow, someone beeped and I was like "oh ****" and I had to go a little faster, and my dad was like slow down, who cares bout them..

Had a dream last night I was driving by myself and I like accidently spunout and crashed into an 18 wheeler, under the wheels and I couldn't get out....And as I'm making this post right now, my dad is yelling at me to go driving now since I only have about 35 days til I go away to college... I kept putting it off....

How long did it take for you to learn to drive? Were you scared at first, or am I just being wimpy...
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
You're just being a normal learner.

EDIT: Oops didn't see the questions, took me 6 months to learn and pass my theory and practical test. Driving came quite naturally to me if I'm honest. I'm not saying I'm amazing, but I was always comfortable in a drivin seat and picked it up easily.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Last edited by jambi_mantra at Jul 13, 2009,
Good luck with insurance
But seriously you'll get used to it just chill out
Gear:
IBANEZ RG2550EX
Orange Rocker 30
Peavey Ultra Plus (lights up)
You get used to it pretty quickly, I was nervous on my first few lessons, but its alright after a while. Just keep it up.
My dad wants me to get a motorcycle license in a few months when I turn 17.

Lulz will probably ensue when I die.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
I Texas, you be 16.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Lawl, I'm a few months past 16 and I'm already driving. Woo Kentucky!

Anyway, TS, I would find some back roads or something where no-one lives and just drive around until I got used to everything.
hours a day for a week when i was 12, i wasn't scared at all

i drive real slow though, like at teh speed limit or 1 or 2 mph slower
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I only find it stressful when my dad is with me because he usually ends up yelling at me when he tries to teach me things. Otherwise, I just do my best to stay calm and be careful. I'm in California and have a driving permit. License test in December!
eee... i drive since i was 14 so it came kind of naturally... but ive teached 2 girlfriends to drive and by the looks of it they were just like you... just relax, tell your dad to take you to a place where theres no traffic AT ALL, and learn your way around. Know the cars limits, how long it is before you rear end someone and stuff...

then take it to the streets. (or do like my little cousin and just ram **** up until you learn how to avoid it)

EDIT: and i still get stressed out with my family on the car, even though driving is my job... that felling will never leave
Last edited by just17n8 at Jul 13, 2009,
I was a bit nervous before my first lesson, but after about 5 minutes I was fine.

Within about 5 or 6 lessons I had everything sorted (all the manoeuvres and such) and then just got it all spot on for my test, after about a dozen lessons I suppose. Failed first time though, but that was only due to me dropping a bollock as it were, my driving was aces (apart from going through a red light)
I learned fairly quickly. I was excited to learn so I wasn't scared at all. I've seen soooooo many bad drivers on the road it was reassuring to know that there was no way in hell I could be that bad.

Just relax. People who can't drive are usually scared or careless. Just relax and know that you're in control of the vehicle. Don't be an idiot and respect the other drivers on the road and you'll be fine.
I live in Iowa. We get a learner's permit (drive with a licensed adult over age 21) at age 14. We have to take driver's ed for a semester at school. We learn the rules of the road and do actual driving lessons. You usually take this at age 14 or 15. We get a restricted license at age 16. If no accidents or tickets get full license at age 17.

I was pretty skiddish of driving because my grandma was in an accident when I was in 6th grade. I was about a year behind everyone else. It does get easier though. Just practice in an open area like an empty parking lot. Then drive around the block. It just takes time. You will be fine. If I can do it, so can you.

Just reeeeeelaaaaax.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Driving sucks anyways. You should tame an elk and ride it instead.

it took me 2 days to learn , although its normal a lot of my friends are the same until like a month after lots of drving when they start to build confidence
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Driving sucks anyways. You should tame an elk and ride it instead.

You might have trouble passing emissions tests with an elk though...
I was driving at like 9, not on the street but go-karts, atv's and what not, so when I got to the wheel of a car it was pretty easy.

I'd say you're acting a bit wimpy dude, which is normal, but it's not like you're gonna die unless you try to be awesome and go 100 mph bobbing and weaving thru cars, just relax and take it easy.
HI!
Quote by mashedpotatoes
You might have trouble passing emissions tests with an elk though...

Then you must be doing it wrong.
Just relax when you're driving. Listen to the radio or talk to the person sitting next to you a bit while still focussing on the road of course. You're much more likely to **** up if you're nervous then if you're relaxed. My grand father always said: you're the one that drives the car, not the other way around.
Quote by fail
Either you're safe or you've won the whole damn thread.

Quote by CoreysMonster

epic win. total, epic win. this is probably the best OC ever created on UG.

kudos, sir.

kudos.
don't worry, i was quite scared when i first started driving. I was always really worried about there being a car following me that would see how bad a driver i was. I was always worried about someone tailgating me, so i was afraid to go a tiny bit under the speed limit, because the people behind me would get pissed off. I was afraid of taking left turns at green lights, because you had to yield to the cars coming toward you before you could go. If i had to merge into a lane, I'd freak out about not finding a space in time and running off the road or something. Three and four way stops terrified me, because i worried about either going at the same time as someone else, or waiting too long and pissing off someone else waiting behind me.

These were all issues that ended up being no problem after I got comfortable. You have to take it in steps and overcome each barrier one at a time. Remember to never think anything of the other drivers on the road that might dislike your driving. Don't speed because someone's behind you or get nervous about other drivers looking at you. Trust me, NO ONE is looking at you. The more nervous you are, the more prone you'll be to making quick decisions without thinking about them. Don't freak out and think you have to do something quickly; there's time for everything. If you pull up to a stop sign at the same time as someone else, just wait for them to go. There's absolutely no reason you can't wait ten extra seconds. If you're pulling out onto a highway, wait until you have a nice, comfortable gap to pull out in. Don't think you have to pull out within so much time and end up cutting some guy off.

As for braking, don't worry about stopping too early. The car won't come to a full stop until you press all the way down on the brake, so there's no reason you can't get started on slowing the car down while you're still a good distance from your stopping point. If you don't decrease your speed soon enough, you'll end up having to jerk to a stop because of all the momentum you still have. if you're still getting the hang of the brake and have to get down to ten mph while you're still 100 feet from the stopping point, there's no reason you can't coast up to it at 10 mph until you get there.

The point I'm trying to get at with this long-winded post is that you need to remain calm at all times. The most important issue is never causing an accident. All other issues pale in comparison, and are not something you want to worry about.
Last edited by Glen'sHeroicAct at Jul 13, 2009,
Driving is much like any other skill, with practice comes confidence and, as a result, you become a better driver. Realize that every trip is a potential learning experience to become a better/safer driver.

</fatherly speech about responsibility>

God, I must be getting old. So this is what adulthood feels like.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
It took me about 2 months to get confident on the road.

I know what you mean about braking TS, but this is what the learning is all about, over time you'll get better at judging distances and you'll instinctively know when to stop. But for now, wouldn't you rather stop too soon than too late? That's the way I looked at it anyway.

BUT, if you're terrified about braking to soon, you're going to **** your pants 7 to 10 times in a row the first time someone cuts you off. And it will happen. Why? Because everyone who drives is an idiot, including myself, the guy in the car next to you, and the driving instructor as well. Keep this knowledge in your head at all times and you'll never crash, 'cause you'll already know everyone else on the road is about to do something stupid.

Aside from that, driving is mad fun. Don't be afraid.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
I never took driving lessons, my dad taught me how drive :P

I have been driving for about a year now, and I'm only 14. I think that because I was so excited I never felt any anxiety while doing it. Just be confident, and the next time you feel nervous when you drive just try to relax and enjoy it.
You CAN get your permit when you're 15 in Missouri... Then your license at 16. I dunno what it is that you're smokin...
I've been driving for a long time now since I was about 11 as my grandfather would let me drive. It all came kind of naturally to me but since my parents are jerks they think its hilarious to yell AAAAHHHH!!!!!, Be grateful you dont have parents like this.when im pulling out or something retarded like that. I lost my driving permit 2 months ago and I really need to go get another one as my driving test is Nov, 17 this year. In NC you only have to be 16 to get your license so im really lucky. I cant wait for my 16 birthday, Nissan Z FTW.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Hi there.

I'm a 17 year old from New Zealand with L plates.

I know how you feel, I was scared shiitless. I wouldn't even book an instructor because I was so scared. I refused to go out in the car even with my parents etc.

Anyway, my parents booked me a lesson and sprung it up on me. I had no chance of backing out.

Honestly, with an instructor, its so easy. You don't get nervous because of cars around you etc. Book a lesson, you'll be fine. I drove home from work last night for the first time ever
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by Shredder XXX
It took me about 2 months to get confident on the road.

I know what you mean about braking TS, but this is what the learning is all about, over time you'll get better at judging distances and you'll instinctively know when to stop. But for now, wouldn't you rather stop too soon than too late? That's the way I looked at it anyway.

BUT, if you're terrified about braking to soon, you're going to **** your pants 7 to 10 times in a row the first time someone cuts you off. And it will happen. Why? Because everyone who drives is an idiot, including myself, the guy in the car next to you, and the driving instructor as well. Keep this knowledge in your head at all times and you'll never crash, 'cause you'll already know everyone else on the road is about to do something stupid.

Aside from that, driving is mad fun. Don't be afraid.

EXACTLY. Just assume everyone else is an imbicile on PCP, and you'll be much better prepared for anything that comes your way.
The only time I am ever worried when I'm driving is when I'm driving with passengers, it's a big responsibility bud I know what you mean (someone's life is in your hands basically). But when I'm by myself, I know if something happens it's only going to happen to me. Believe me when you have that mentality you will be an okay driver
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
First time I ever drove I drove my family back from my grandma's house and was on the freeway for an hour and a half. It's really not that bad. Listen to Shredder XXX. I've had so many people just cut all the way across the road in front of me and brake to turn in somewhere.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Maybe try learning with different people, or a different instructor till you find yourself more comfortable in the car, and try deserted places like industrial estates and stuff, thats how I started learning, i'm not the greatest driver but i'm confident in what I can do, just gotta get my test done :P. And generally it'll come with time, keep at it and you'll be fine.
What type of car are you driving? A sedan is a lot easier to drive IMO. More control, turning is easier. I like my car compared to most too... the brakes are soft enough that the lightest touch won't cause you to jerk forward (I hate very sensitive brakes). Maybe its the car. Just relax, it's driving, it's going to be a part of your everyday life so you really can't be afraid.
Quote by reb_49
The only time I am ever worried when I'm driving is when I'm driving with passengers, it's a big responsibility bud I know what you mean (someone's life is in your hands basically). But when I'm by myself, I know if something happens it's only going to happen to me. Believe me when you have that mentality you will be an okay driver

You are a fucking idiot! You should never be allowed to drive ever again.
In aus we have a learner permit at 16 , when we have to drive with an adult , then P's at 17 if you completed enough hours of driving...
NSW its like 120 hours
Less in other states...

Maybe you should take some driving lessons they might help?
IN iowa, you get your Learners Permit at 14 and then get your 2nd stage license(Can drive by yourself, but basically the same as a learners permit) then at 18 get your full blown license.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
First thing you need to do is breath a bit. Everyone goes through this stuff when they're learning.

I got my permit 2+ years ago (first try) and my license six months later (2nd try). It is nerve racking when your going for your test, no denying that. You break earlier because you have ABS breaks. I have the same thing. You don't fully break, you just ease on the break pedal so that you come to a full stop by the time you reach the stoplight/stop sign.

It all just takes time. I used to be a vagina about driving on the highway, now I'd prefer it. I used to hate left lane driving because the first time I did it everyone passed me on the right and scared the **** out of me. Now I am the passer and left lane driver. My first time on the road someone also beeped and illegally passed me. Its pretty normal. As you learn how to drive properly, you can learn how to combat assholes. People still drive around me illegally on backroads. These days I beep loud, throw out my finger, scream "**** you" and do everything in my power to give them some level of fear. I've even edged my car over the line just to stop someone from passing me who was on his way around. Not that I suggest that kind of action, but it pissed me off.

Damn, that was a rant.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Page 1 of 2