Page 1 of 5
melodicguitar7
Metal \m/
322 IQ
I've been wondering this for a long time why is metalcore looked down apon by the metal community. It's constant that they say metalcore bands are hardcore bands. Yes it's metal combined with hardcore. But how does that say it's not metal and just hardcore.
melodicguitar7
Metal \m/
322 IQ
It really anoys me when i hear people getting all high and mighty about it saying thats not metal.
Starkie
349 IQ
i wasnt aware of the issue. So how about that Home Run Derby?
DespisedIcon
UG's Jellyfishing Master
63 IQ
Douple post, check it.

To answer your question I have one word: Elitists.

Elitists are less present in the hardcore scene.
ಠ_ಠ
melodicguitar7
Metal \m/
322 IQ
Quote by DespisedIcon
Douple post, check it.

To answer your question I have one word: Elitists.

Elitists are less present in the hardcore scene.

Ya i know i double posted but care to elaborate of what you mean by Elitists?
willingvictim
good dude, backed hard
948 IQ
metal heads are generally a lot more close minded about music even than most elitist hardcore kids, because atleast hardcore kids give respect to metal since a lot of hardcore is influenced by it.

metalcore is looked down a lot in the hardcore scene too though. atleast the cheesey stuff
12shinn21
UG's Jack Black
421 IQ
It's not looked down upon, they just don't like it when someone calls some metalcore band metal. Much the same as when people here don't like them being called hardcore.
Zelphien
10 IQ
im not a fan of metalcore, but people who respect metal,rock, or whatever they are into, they need to respect all genres of metal. Though I don't get why we need all these genres. I mean metalcore and some death metal sound the same to me. Some of the genres are pointless.

"metal heads" usually like retarded overrated bands and defend them like they are defending their own mothers. I would love to punch every single one of those kids who have master of puppets shirts on almost everyday of their life.
willingvictim
good dude, backed hard
948 IQ
Quote by Zelphien

"metal heads" usually like retarded overrated bands and defend them like they are defending their own mothers. I would love to punch every single one of those kids who have master of puppets shirts on almost everyday of their life.

thats what im sayin. even though i was just listening to master of puppets.. so good.
melodicguitar7
Metal \m/
322 IQ
Well for one thing i listen to all types of metal, from heavy metal,thrash,melodic death, death metal etc . I don't get why people that act like they are metal purists say crap like August burns red thats just some S**tty hardcore band. Which for one i love listening to August burns red, Then at the same time i love bands like arch enemy, to pantera. And for one I consider myself a metalhead. To many people act like it's a style , it's a mind set not some fad or click. Metalhead is a way of life of just enjoying heavy music. Not trying to preach but i mean seriously people acting like only their standards of metal is metal are ignorent pompous fools who don't deserve to call themselfs a metal head.
technicolour
Banned
1,153 IQ
Besides most of them haven't heard Converge. They only hear about the generic ones that are thrown around by annoying fans and scene kids alike.
brandon369852
Music for people and more
853 IQ
Because metalcore isn't metal and metal is God and you can only have one God so praise Jesus.

Or that's how I view it.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
melodicguitar7
Metal \m/
322 IQ
Still tho I enjoy alot of metalcore bands out there and yet it's so heavyly bashed on it really just anoys the crap out of me. Well I guess beggars can't be choosers. There will be just more ignorent people wanting to start stuff over the genre.
7stringusr
Banned
20 IQ
why are we hating other genres of metal. hate rap and pop. i freakin love metalcore
Last edited by 7stringusr at Jul 13, 2009,
willingvictim
good dude, backed hard
948 IQ
In the end, no matter who makes fun of you, even if it's me, it doesn't really matter.. just like what you like. There will always be some asshole out there saying the **** you listen to sucks.
melodicguitar7
Metal \m/
322 IQ
Quote by 7stringusr
why are we hating other genres of metal. hate rap and pop. i freakin love metalcore

Amen brother
Kurasuke
22 IQ
Metalcore is looked down upon because, from the outside looking in, most bands seem more concerned with the aesthetic and that the genre seems much more formulaic. I'm not big on it, but I'm not really a metalhead. When I do listen to metal, it is the slower, heavier stuff. Not the harder faster stuff. More coming from the punk side, actually.
I have heard Converge, and I didn't like it. The biggest problem that I have with the genre is the style of "screaming." Sounds cheesy to me.
Metalheads will say that it's not metal, and hardcore fans will say that it's not hardcore. They're both just being assholes.
melodicguitar7
Metal \m/
322 IQ
Quote by willingvictim
In the end, no matter who makes fun of you, even if it's me, it doesn't really matter.. just like what you like. There will always be some asshole out there saying the **** you listen to sucks.

I will have to agree with that.
Veil Of Osiris
189 IQ
The fact that it is popular has a lot to do with it. If you had asked a metalhead from 1999 what he thought about Metalcore I bet he wouldn't of had a problem with it.
ESP Viper 1000 Deluxe

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
ValveKing 4x12 Cab

ISP Decimator
Boss AC-2
Ibanez TS-7
xRenegadEx
69 IQ
Quote by willingvictim
nothin wrong with hip hop

Wanna do my new dance?
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Every genre has its bands that suck, but I think metalcore is singled out so much because the bands that suck tend to have the most obnoxious fan base of any other genre. Besides rap. But that doesn't really come into play as much in this forum.

Seriously, though, fans- and even the members themselves- of bands like Attack Attack, Bring Me The Horizon, and The Devil Wears Prada, as a general rule, tend to make questionable fashion decisions, pose in order to look cooler, hardcore dance, be ignorant about music, and just be annoying in general. I'm not saying that everyone who listens to one of those bands is like that, but seriously, the vast majority of kids at one of their shows would just be obnoxious as ****. And this draws negative attention toward the bands and therefore the genre as a whole.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
IcePh0enix
Banned
1,721 IQ
Quote by willingvictim
nothin wrong with hip hop

There's actually a lot wrong with hip hop, as well as metalcore. Regardless, there are many good artists/bands in both genres.

I think most metalheads just hate having crappy nu-metalcore bands like TDWP and Attack Attack grouped in with the bands like. They basically are misconstrued by the current MTV version of metalcore, without even being aware that there are a lot of awesome metalcore bands that they would probably like.
Kurasuke
22 IQ
MTV actually plays metalcore?
ALSO: Just because you don't like a band, it doesn't mean that it isn't in the genre you like. No True Scotsman anybody?
handbanana
Registered Duder
4,706 IQ
At this point I wouldn't even say people really look down on metalcore that much, it's just that fact that people have taken metalcore and turned it into a lot of serious failure that just ruined it for the rest of the genre. There is like 20% of metalcore that is some awesome ****, that even hardcore kids listen to or atleast enjoyed/respected at some point. It's just a lot of douchebags with girl jeans and gay scarfs that makes people stereotype the rest of the genre and directly associate one with another.

And as far as hip-hop goes, mainstream hip-hop took a huge dive when stuff like lil wayne became radio friendly.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 13, 2009,
andyq777
sup?
58 IQ
Quote by 7stringusr

rap rules

edit: wu tang> most modern metalcore
Last edited by andyq777 at Jul 14, 2009,
Z Standard
Z
14 IQ
Quote by Kurasuke
MTV actually plays metalcore?

Headbanger's Ball does, I've seen Converge and Misery Signals on there.
Cianyx
UG Nerd
1,216 IQ
****ty bands are hated anyway whether it's considered metal or metalcore. You don't see the metal forum trying to segregate Cradle of Filth for being utter crap. Metalcore, unfortunately is plagued with crap but it does have some really good bands
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
BGSM
Banned
1,269 IQ
Quote by Z Standard
Headbanger's Ball does, I've seen Converge and Misery Signals on there.

Those are both bands that I deem 'good' metalcore bands...
+}-136-{+
Registered Text Offender
211 IQ
I'm totally digging the sweeping generalizations and blatant ignorance in this thread. Totally dude.
intentionsthere
average dude
464 IQ
This whole hating metacore thing is just because people on both ends are being stupid. The purists metal heads and the 12 year old kids who discovered avenged sevenfold yesterday so they decided to stop listening to Lil Wayne and claim they're different. I think this whole thing would stop if people wouldn't get so defensive about everything.

When it comes down to it, just listen to what you like.
pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
Quote by 12shinn21
It's not looked down upon, they just don't like it when someone calls some metalcore band metal. Much the same as when people here don't like them being called hardcore.

this.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
konfyouzd
Cuban B
120 IQ
feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i've found that most genres ending in "core" tend to have riffs that are typical [generic] to the genre indicated by the first half of the name and the songs are punctuated by overdone, recycled breakdowns.

this very well may not be true of all of them. but all the ones i get introduced to are like that.

also, a lot of them seem to do the scream sometimes, sing sometimes thing. i have no problem with this. opeth does it and i love it. but i feel like a lot of the clean singing in <insert genre>core bands tends to sound a little forced and/or cheesy. that's just a personal preference thing, though.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Kurasuke
22 IQ
Quote by konfyouzd
feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i've found that most genres ending in "core" tend to have riffs that are typical [generic] to the genre indicated by the first half of the name and the songs are punctuated by overdone, recycled breakdowns.

I completely overlooked the core association. Most cores, especially the ones that take themselves really seriously, aren't generally seen for the quality and innovation. The core genres especially suffer from the "95% of everything is awful" syndrome because most bands sound the same.
It's also like when I talk to a friend of mine about music- she listens to a lot of really bad bands, but they're all local and extremely obscure. She goes to ****ty basement shows for ****ty indie bands. Metalcore is like that- it's cool to do. "Do you listen to so and so?" "No, I've never heard of them" "Yeah, I know".
JagStang5246
2,119 IQ
Every Genre has those bands - The ones who copy or rip off heavily, of what the orginators of the genre did first. Look at Attack Attack. That song Stick Stickly has three easily discernable cliches in it: The "boooom" at the beginning of a breakdown or "brutal" section of the song, the random "Whoo!" and then the multiple breakdowns. That band is just awful. Metal-core itself is so hard to define, since they've thrown so many bands intot eh category. All these genre naems are starting to become confusing. Just listen to the music without branding it. If you like it, listen to it. Not a big deal.