Hey guys, so long story short, I bought an epi les paul standard, it broke, we home repaired it, tightened the truss rod too much, and now the middle of the neck bends back significantly (like the strings are at least twice as high off the fretboard at the 9th fret as they are at the first. Is there any way to reverse this?
I think you have it backward. The trussrod is in a tug-of-war with the strings. If the neck is bowing so that the strings are too far off the board as you go up the neck, then you need to tighten the trussrod. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. But loosen the strings first.
Quote by sporkman7
Hey guys, so long story short, I bought an epi les paul standard, it broke, we home repaired it, tightened the truss rod too much, and now the middle of the neck bends back significantly (like the strings are at least twice as high off the fretboard at the 9th fret as they are at the first. Is there any way to reverse this?
that part is a meaningless way of determining bow. It's highly dependent on the bridge height.

1 - capo the strings at the first fret
2 - hold down a string at the last fret
3 - measure the gap between the string and the top of the 8th fret. (not the fretboard).

You should have a very small gap, maybe half the thickness of the high e string.
Much more, and you tighten the truss rod.
Less or no gap, you loosen the truss rod.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.