so i got a crate blue voodoo cab and its pretty beat up...its really not that bad but i wanna restore, i dont want to re tolex it i wanna make it look like this http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/deepbluesy/112cab.jpg you do guys think that the wood in the cab looks decent enough (like where the corners meet) and stuff to do this? thanks!!!
Yeah, that looks awesome.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
that's not your cab, is it?

you're probably gonna have to rebuild the cab if you want that type of joint in the corners, afaik the standard for cabs is 11-ply gap-free plywood, which isn't going to take stain as well as the one pictured.
------

Shwiggity.
no that is not my cab..... so the joints are gonna look like that? so how would it look? well i can always spray painted
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that joint a dovetail or something like that?
or, is dovetail like a triangle, with one of the tips cut off?
..I was watching my death.
Quote by zenabi87
no that is not my cab..... so the joints are gonna look like that? so how would it look? well i can always spray painted

It's gonna look like four sheets of plywood stuck together, butted against each other and secured with a nailgun. spraypaint is a great idea, or you could buy a nice veneer and stick that on, and stain it.

And yeah, that's a dovetail as far as I can tell.
------

Shwiggity.
Your cab cannot be made to look like that picture. If it looked like that underneath, it would not be covered in tolex.

It will be either plywood or mdf, and the corners are likely nubbed off flat to allow for easier tolexing. The seam, and maybe some wood should be visible on the corner if you remove one of the corner guards.

Those are box combing (aka finger) joints on the side, your cab probably just has 90* butt joints. Dovetails are trapezoidal and lock in all but one direction.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Jul 13, 2009,
The Crate BV cab is Made of 5/8 Plywood. a great alternative to tolex is spray on truck bed liner like rhino lining etc. looks good and makes your cab pretty much bullet proof.
and cost about the same as re tolex.
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild
Quote by SoundManMike
The Crate BV cab is Made of 5/8 Plywood. a great alternative to tolex is spray on truck bed liner like rhino lining etc. looks good and makes your cab pretty much bullet proof.
and cost about the same as re tolex.

Thanks for sharing this. Now I finally know what's on my Line 6 Spider II(gift)
This'll be a great alternative to tolexing my amp. I suck at apholstering anyways.
..I was watching my death.
The joints on the above cab are finger joints not dovetail joints. You can get jigs for routers that allow you do them quickly. Dovetail joints would not have any advantages over finger joints in a cab, and I think finger joints look better here

I'm guessing your cheap(ish) cab will use butt joints or perhaps even lap joints
Last edited by supergerbil at Jul 14, 2009,
well im gonna strip my cab anyways if it looks ok enough, i know its not gonna look awesome or anything, ill stain it if not ill re tolex it.
the plywood is gonna look awful. carpet or spray on spray on bedliner. I've seen it on live PA cabs, and subs in a car. it looks good, easy to clean, never tears or wears out. if you dont have bedliner try a cheap vinylester resin. just a skin coat with a squeegee is enough to get it ready for paint. or get a gel coat dye to dye the resin black or whatever.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
so where do i buy the bedliner spray? home depot? and how much does it go for?
Quote by zenabi87
so where do i buy the bedliner spray? home depot? and how much does it go for?

JC Whitney
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild