Poll: Which one is better to my guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one is better to my guitar?
Dimarzio Super Distortion
12 43%
Seymour Duncan JB
12 43%
Other (post it)
4 14%
Voters: 28.
hi, well, i got a Squier California Strat (Basswood) and is an S-S-S guitar (with no "swimming pool routing")
i wanted to make it an H-S-H strat because i really like the feel on the guitar but i want a heavier sound and i don't like single sized humbuckers

so i want to put a full size humbucker (im gonna send it to a luthier for routing) and because here i can access to Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan pickups only
i was between the SD "JB model" and de Dimarzio "Super Distortion"
what would you recommend?
i play Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Ozzy, Dio, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, etc

I know that my amp is crap and i need another one but im gonna buy the amp that i want by the end of the year and i cant stand playing Heavy Metal with single coils
any suggestions?
thanks

PD: i know i made another threads before but i wanted more suggestions and i decided make a poll
Hola.
Hm, I'd go for the SD (super distortion, not Seymour Duncan) or a Seymour Duncan Duncan Custom.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think this in the end is a matter of personal taste.

Personally I would go with the JB which I think fits perfect for the sound of the band you name. But if you want to be neavier I'd try the Seymour Duncan Distorsion Mayhem.
I voted Other: Seymour Duncan Custom 5.

It's a high output (though not heavy metal output; ''just'' hard rock output) Alnico V humbucker, wound with a little more treble and bass response than usual. In balanced guitars this can sometimes mean it has a slightly scooped tone, but in basswood guitars which are mid-heavy and muddy up easily, it means the Custom 5 is about as balanced as you can get. It's simply a really good pickup for basswood and I'm kicking myself for not getting one myself. I put a JB model in my basswood ESP SA-2 and it's utter crap. I'm modding another guitar right now, but once I'm done with that one I'm goign back tot he SA-2, ripping the JB model out and sticking a Custom 5 in instead.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I have guitar's with both pickups. Although Im still waiting for the Super Distortion to come in the mail. I would go with the Super Distortion. The JB is a more metal pickup that can handle "REAL" hardcore metal. While the Super Distorion is better for Maiden, Sabbath, and some pre/early 80's metal. I think atleast.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Quote by Travis39
I have guitar's with both pickups. Although Im still waiting for the Super Distortion to come in the mail. I would go with the Super Distortion. The JB is a more metal pickup that can handle "REAL" hardcore metal. While the Super Distorion is better for Maiden, Sabbath, and some pre/early 80's metal. I think atleast.

Uh... the JB is hardly a metal pickup, Seymour wound the JB back in the '80s specifically for Jeff Beck and called it the "Jazz and Blues." The JB is really a do-it-all pickup, and it does it all quite well imo, but needs the right guitar and needs some dialing in and height adjustment.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Uh... the JB is hardly a metal pickup, Seymour wound the JB back in the '80s specifically for Jeff Beck and called it the "Jazz and Blues." The JB is really a do-it-all pickup, and it does it all quite well imo, but needs the right guitar and needs some dialing in and height adjustment.

More like the mid '70s.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by al112987

Well in my experience with this pickup it had great harmonic response, good cleans, and handle's metal fabulously. Either way, they're both very versatile.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Last edited by Travis39 at Jul 14, 2009,
Not the JB. Could go with a fred or something more original, but the super dist is tried and tested I guess. I've been wanting to try one in my schecter for a while.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.