So I got my first electric about a month ago, and I can already tell i made a huge mistake getting the line 6 spider 3. The distortion on this amp is just god awful. What could I sell this for on CL or a shop, and what should I get instead in the 100-150 pricerange? I would like something that can handle a a little distortion without it getting sloppy.
i know. same prob here. i just got a Randall RM80, so i'm good. i'm selling mine as we speak. good luck with that. its like selling a curse or something. i'm going to feel sorry for whoever buys the amp from me. but i'll get over it.

which one? (wattage) i have the 75W and i'm selling it for $250

as for what amp to get, i'm not sure what there is in that price range that is much better than the spider. if you can, try and save up some more money, but if not, someone else will make a suggestion better than mine.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by CreepingxDeth
marshall mg 15

ha, ha. he is trying to make a vertical movement, not a lateral movement. but i know your kidding.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
The Orange Crush 15R or, my personal favorite, the Vox Pathfinder 15R are both within the $100-$150 price range. Both have spring reverb, too. I dunno if that's your thing, but I certainly love smacking it around a'la Joey Santiago.

As for selling price...How much did you pay for it? Expect a bit of depreciation. Check Craigslist or eBay for used Spyders and try to price yours competitively. You can always go down, but you can't go up.
I'd like to grow up to be Charles Thompson.

Gear:

Fender American Standard Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
Peavey Vypyr. I love those things for the price, and I'm guessing you don't have effects, so a few are built in. The Vypyr is the same idea as the Line 6, but without being sloppy, and without the lack of EQ. You get amp models rather than just sound models, and that's where the Spider fails.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

As CaparisonCore suggested the vypyr is a great amp. I have the 15 watt one and it's the best $100 i've spent.

Another amp to look into is the Roland Cube series, or if you want you could find a used Epiphone Valve Jr. in that price range.
i have the 15watt model. Im angry because I just bought a t-rex overdrive pedal, which sounds great, but the amp just cant really give me that clean crisp sound I want from it, so im kinda upset about that.

Thinking back now, I should of known spending as much on a pedal as the amp
I'd say try and sell it for $80, but even that's pushing your luck. I'd recommend the Roland Cube. Apparently the Peavy Vypyr sounds good from what I've heard.
Quote by Rydin1
So I got my first electric about a month ago, and I can already tell i made a huge mistake getting the line 6 spider 3. The distortion on this amp is just god awful. What could I sell this for on CL or a shop, and what should I get instead in the 100-150 pricerange? I would like something that can handle a a little distortion without it getting sloppy.

I'm in the same place as you my friend, I have the Spider III 30 and I think it sucks!
I've looked around and some good suggestions are:

Orange Crush 15R
Roland Cube 20X
Vox VT15
Marshall MG15FX

haven't tried any of the above, but I think I'm gonna get the Orange Crush 30R or the Vox.
Try searching on youtube for videos
Last edited by Wild_Rose at Jul 14, 2009,
^ wow... he knows how to list amps said in a thread.

lets give him a biscuit
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by JKMV11

which one? (wattage) i have the 75W and i'm selling it for $250

Lol, good luck, I couldnt sell my 120 watt for 250 for 2 months. Ended up just trading it for a c1 hellraiser plus cash, which I traded.lol
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Quote by drivermod
Lol, good luck, I couldnt sell my 120 watt for 250 for 2 months. Ended up just trading it for a c1 hellraiser plus cash, which I traded.lol

ha, i know. i'll try. if not, then i'll try $225. if not that, then $200, but no lower. I want to profit from my mistake.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
ha, i know. i'll try. if not, then i'll try $225. if not that, then $200, but no lower. I want to profit from my mistake.

Well good luck, its like gettin rid of an std or something. lol
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Quote by drivermod
Well good luck, its like gettin rid of an std or something. lol

you nailed it. if i can't sell it, i will do what i always wanted to do with it; set it on fire and throw it off a cliff (i just need to find a cliff. Florida ain't got any). Lets hope i get the money first.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
you nailed it. if i can't sell it, i will do what i always wanted to do with it; set it on fire and throw it off a cliff (i just need to find a cliff. Florida ain't got any). Lets hope i get the money first.

Yeah, even the highest point in Florida isn't all that high
Quote by Alex Vik
Yeah, even the highest point in Florida isn't all that high

He can bring it up here, we will throw it off lookout mtn.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Quote by CaparisonCore
Peavey Vypyr. I love those things for the price, and I'm guessing you don't have effects, so a few are built in. The Vypyr is the same idea as the Line 6, but without being sloppy, and without the lack of EQ. You get amp models rather than just sound models, and that's where the Spider fails.

+100
Quote by MickAlmighty
^ wow... he knows how to list amps said in a thread.

lets give him a biscuit

what's your problem????
Quote by Wild_Rose
what's your problem????

no problem. all you did was list all the amps people had said in posts befor you...

and i was in a REALLY bad mood at the time
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
actually it is MY list, that also happened to mention SOME of the amps that other guys said.

I get it about the bad day...