So, I have an Ibanez RG on my hands that I think is an RG2EX1 model. It's a few years old, and was the first guitar of a friend of mine who picked up very quickly and is now gigging quite often and has a birthday coming up. A few of us were going to buy him a new guitar as a birthday gift, but he told us to fix up his RG instead, because he doesn't want to get rid of it, which brings me to my question. What should we do to it? So far, our ideas are:
Active P'ups: EMG 81 (Bridge) and EMG-89 (Neck) and install coil tap mini's for both p'ups
Pull out the old bridge and install a TonePros Stopbar because he prefers those as on his LP
Add locking tuners (Probably Sperzels)
Last, an EMG Afterburner

What do you think?
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by CaparisonCore
So, I have an Ibanez RG on my hands that I think is an RG2EX1 model. It's a few years old, and was the first guitar of a friend of mine who picked up very quickly and is now gigging quite often and has a birthday coming up. A few of us were going to buy him a new guitar as a birthday gift, but he told us to fix up his RG instead, because he doesn't want to get rid of it, which brings me to my question. What should we do to it? So far, our ideas are:
Active P'ups: EMG 81 (Bridge) and EMG-89 (Neck) and install coil tap mini's for both p'ups
Pull out the old bridge and install a TonePros Stopbar because he prefers those as on his LP
Add locking tuners (Probably Sperzels)
Last, an EMG Afterburner

What do you think?

I don't think you can coil tap an 81.

Installing a Stopbar will leave holes in the body from the old bridge.

To install an afterburner, you'll need to drill new holes. Plus I've heard that the tone boosting capabilities on its circuits aren't as powerful as its advertised to be.

Have you consider the Buzz Feiten intonation system, the Graphtech bridge or the Earvana Compensated Tuning system?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
If you're going to install a T-O-M/Stopbar you are gonna need to recces the bridge for the lack of neck angle

i'd go for a 81/60 set myself
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by ragingkitty
I don't think you can coil tap an 81.

Installing a Stopbar will leave holes in the body from the old bridge.

To install an afterburner, you'll need to drill new holes. Plus I've heard that the tone boosting capabilities on its circuits aren't as powerful as its advertised to be.

Have you consider the Buzz Feiten intonation system, the Graphtech bridge or the Earvana Compensated Tuning system?

81TW

Quote by SquierLolz
If you're going to install a T-O-M/Stopbar you are gonna need to recces the bridge for the lack of neck angle

i'd go for a 81/60 set myself

bolt on can easily shim to accomodate for neck angle
Coil taps on active pups? That sounds like a whole lot of crap sound to me...maybe it's because I dislike EMG's so much.

SD Blackout's are some good active pups, might want to get his opinion on them first. If he's an EMG fan than just put whatever is recommended in, I wouldn't know anything EMG wise that's good.

Bridge wise, I'd go for a TOM personally. If he wants a trem, I suppose an OFR would do the trick. I always thought a strat-style bridge would go good with an RG though...
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Quote by Vlasco
But neck angles are lame so a recessed bridge is better!

i've got neck angle on my Caparison
Personally, if you really wanna drop a bomb on the guitar, get a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb-Miracle Man set.

The coil tap'll be a whole world of difference then.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Ditch the EMG idea and just find good passive PU's to coil tap.

EMG's are the civics of the guitar world. Everyone loves them when you first get them, but after a few months you realize they aren't what the internet makes them out to be.
Alright. As stated earlier, I chose EMG's because he likes a real gritty sound but I wanted the coil tap so he could still move around his styles of music. If anyone has any ideas on good passive p'ups that are great for metal and can be tapped, please let me know, 'cause I don't know much outside my little world of SD's, DiMarzio's, Gibby's, and EMG's.

I looked into how hard setting the bridge will be, without making the whole thing look stupid, and I don't wanna do a paintjob, but I will if necessary. Is it very difficult to install a Floyd Rose? Because someone mentioned that earlier and I didn't give it much thought, but that would be a MUCH better idea, if it can be done without major work. (My definition of major work is 4-7 days 2-6 hours a day trying to fix it) I've never installed a Floyd, so I'm clueless on yet another subject.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by azn_guitarist25
i've got neck angle on my Caparison

Neck angles make me

I used to have an LP but I sold it because I could not get used to the neck angle at all.
Quote by CaparisonCore
Alright. As stated earlier, I chose EMG's because he likes a real gritty sound but I wanted the coil tap so he could still move around his styles of music. If anyone has any ideas on good passive p'ups that are great for metal and can be tapped, please let me know, 'cause I don't know much outside my little world of SD's, DiMarzio's, Gibby's, and EMG's.

I looked into how hard setting the bridge will be, without making the whole thing look stupid, and I don't wanna do a paintjob, but I will if necessary. Is it very difficult to install a Floyd Rose? Because someone mentioned that earlier and I didn't give it much thought, but that would be a MUCH better idea, if it can be done without major work. (My definition of major work is 4-7 days 2-6 hours a day trying to fix it) I've never installed a Floyd, so I'm clueless on yet another subject.

Neck - Bare Knuckle Nailbomb
Bridge - Bare Knuckle Miracle Man / Painkiller
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I keep hearing about Bare Knuckles, but I have absolutely no experience with them.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by CaparisonCore

well there's a fair amount of routing required (the RG2EX1 is hardtail right?) for the body and the fretboard to suit the locking nut. imo it's probably best to check in if he wants or not and then if he wants it to be a dive only trem or to be a full floating trem.

Quote by Vlasco
Neck angles make me

I used to have an LP but I sold it because I could not get used to the neck angle at all.

wow that's weird i reckon they are totally easy to play on
Quote by CaparisonCore
I keep hearing about Bare Knuckles, but I have absolutely no experience with them.

Bare Knuckles are one of the brands of pickups you will never regret getting. Period.

Bare Knuckle Pickups
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Bare Knuckles are one of the brands of pickups you will never regret getting. Period.

Bare Knuckle Pickups

Unless you´re weird and also don´t like neck angles and therefore cannot play LP´s.