Is it dangerous to plug a 4 ohm head into a 16 ohm cab? Would this damage either the head or the cab? The head is a solid state/tube hybrid, and the cab that it was hooked up to used a parallel wiring schematic if that helps.
ur gonna hear this, but searchbar in the future.

but from what i hear, as long as the head is lower than the cab or equal, ur fine. i higher ohm head would blowout a lower cab. equal is still always the best fit. but this is just to my understanding
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Quote by ajreciever14
ur gonna hear this, but searchbar in the future.

but from what i hear, as long as the head is lower than the cab or equal, ur fine. i higher ohm head would blowout a lower cab. equal is still always the best fit. but this is just to my understanding

ive checked the searchbar, but yea, theres a lot of threads like this but i havent found to many conclusive answers.
solid state you're fine, you'll just be losing a lot of volume.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
As its probably gonna have a SS power amp section a 16 ohm load will seriously cut your volume. Figure about 30% of the volume it will have with a 4 ohm load. It may not blow the amp with the mismatch but you might end up cranking the amp to get any volume which will make it run alot hotter and clip really bad.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
Is it dangerous to plug a 4 ohm head into a 16 ohm cab? Would this damage either the head or the cab? The head is a solid state/tube hybrid, and the cab that it was hooked up to used a parallel wiring schematic if that helps.
IF it's a modern hybrid where the tube section is in the preamp, no problem. As Mikey Elite told you, you'll sacrifice a bit of volume.

But if it's something like the old Music Man hybrids where the preamp is solid state and the output section is tube, don't even think about it. You'll run a VERY strong risk of arcing in the primary of the output transformer and the anodes of the tubes. This could be HUGELY expensive to repair.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
IF it's a modern hybrid where the tube section is in the preamp, no problem. As Mikey Elite told you, you'll sacrifice a bit of volume.

But if it's something like the old Music Man hybrids where the preamp is solid state and the output section is tube, don't even think about it. You'll run a VERY strong risk of arcing in the primary of the output transformer and the anodes of the tubes. This could be HUGELY expensive to repair.

it has 2 power tubes (the bigger type) so does that mean the preamp is solid state? its a 1975 peavey classic which was before they went all tube. so i guess the only cab i should plug into is one with equivalent ohm rating?
yeah, that probably would've been a good thing to mention in the OP
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
it has 2 power tubes (the bigger type) so does that mean the preamp is solid state? its a 1975 peavey classic which was before they went all tube. so i guess the only cab i should plug into is one with equivalent ohm rating?
yyyup. for that kind of amp, that's the only safe way.
Use a cab of the impedance the amp was designed around or even one that's LOWER than the rated impedance.

Is this a Classic-B? I've seen the schematics but never the amp itself.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
yyyup. for that kind of amp, that's the only safe way.
Use a cab of the impedance the amp was designed around or even one that's LOWER than the rated impedance.

Is this a Classic-B? I've seen the schematics but never the amp itself.

its a 1975 peavey classic 100 (50 watts) its a 4x10 combo that weighs a ton but either the speakers are shot or the cable that is attached to the speaker load is crappy (im gonna try to put a new one on and see what works. I got it from my friend for twenty bucks, so if it doesnt work perfectly its no big deal. It sounds amazing clean but it doesnt get very loud. due to the ss preamp the overdrive sounds bad.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
its a 1975 peavey classic 100 (50 watts) its a 4x10 combo that weighs a ton but either the speakers are shot or the cable that is attached to the speaker load is crappy (im gonna try to put a new one on and see what works. I got it from my friend for twenty bucks, so if it doesnt work perfectly its no big deal. It sounds amazing clean but it doesnt get very loud. due to the ss preamp the overdrive sounds bad.
here's hoping the cable is bad.

Basically what you have is a Fender Super with a solid state front end.
Could be very sweet if you get those 4 10s singing again.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411