Was thinking of getting this head as I want a tube head/cab combo. I have been trying combo amps out the past week and dont like them and want to go the head/cab route and was thinking of the HD100 head since I dont have any pedals and this might be a great first head for me, but this will mainly be a house head/cab for practice/learning and from my reading these 100watt tube heads dont sound good at low volumes for some reason???? Is this true? .....

Other option is get some sort of other tube head and cab of course and buy my friends Digitech GNX4 which might be even better, but what tube head can I get for ~$700 or so that will work at both low (practice) and LOUD volumes?

I basicaly want a tube head that will work for a variety of music and sound good at low and LOUD volume to pair with a cab......what are my options?
genres? if you're into metal, then get a used peavey 5150 or 6505
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Ghold125
Why does it have to be a tube head?

I really just like the tube sound.....I have a spidervalve 1x12 here and really like the feel of the tube amp.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
genres? if you're into metal, then get a used peavey 5150 or 6505

Like I said in the last sentence of my post, this will be for a wide variety of music....rock, blues, metal, jazz, etc.....
Quote by toe2323
I really just like the tube sound.....I have a spidervalve 1x12 here and really like the feel of the tube amp.

so you already own a combo version of the same amp, and you want to go with the head to have better low volume tones???

further, yes, the "tube feel" is there with the spyder valve, but just because an amp has tubes doesn't mean it sounds good! sure, it's better that the II's & III's, but why narrow your search to a head version of an amp that doesn't sound very good and at the very least is over-priced?

EDIT: forgot to give you some suggestions...

CRAIGSLIST, for starters. if you'll be using a multi-fx board, be sure to get an amp that is external-fx-friendly (not a modeler). you've got to decide what tone works best for you... your idea of good tone and versatility is probably very different from mine. Take a good hard look at low wattage tube amps first.
Last edited by GrisKy at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
so you already own a combo version of the same amp, and you want to go with the head to have better low volume tones???

further, yes, the "tube feel" is there with the spyder valve, but just because an amp has tubes doesn't mean it sounds good! sure, it's better that the II's & III's, but why narrow your search to a head version of an amp that doesn't sound very good and at the very least is over-priced?

EDIT: forgot to give you some suggestions...

CRAIGSLIST, for starters. if you'll be using a multi-fx board, be sure to get an amp that is external-fx-friendly (not a modeler). you've got to decide what tone works best for you... your idea of good tone and versatility is probably very different from mine.

Thanks for the response and you make some very good points

If I go with a dif head, I will use a GNX4, so what other tube heads should I look at that will work great with the GNX4 in the under $1000 range? Looking to get a 2x12 cab as well probably from avatar.
^you're not using the digitech for distortion are you? dont, get a used peavey XXX and use the onboard distortion. that should do the trick
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Yeah, a used Peavey XXX or a used Mesa Mark III.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, a used Peavey XXX or a used Mesa Mark III.

Will these sound good at low volume? If you read my first post I need something that will sound good at both low and loud volume since this will also be used as a practice head. 120 watt XXX is probably not going to work in my situation.
No, it will. I have a 40 Watt XXX and its sounds great at low volumes.

Plus is your just plannng on running the GNX4 through the head, it will be a waste of money to buy something thats 1000. I don't understand why everyone on UG assumes it sounds crap on low volumes. Not as good as loud, but much better than a multi effects unit.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
No, it will. I have a 40 Watt XXX and its sounds great at low volumes.

Plus is your just plannng on running the GNX4 through the head, it will be a waste of money to buy something thats 1000. I don't understand why everyone on UG assumes it sounds crap on low volumes. Not as good as loud, but much better than a multi effects unit.

I need a head though since I will be pairing with a cab (most likely a 2x12) and I think the XXX is 120 watt for the head which from everything I have read will not sound great at low volume.....is this not accurate?
As its gonna be strictly for bedroom use you really need to look for a lower wattage amp if you want tubes. A 100w tube amp in your bedroom you will never really be able use more than a very small percentage of its volume. A 5-15w tube amp you will at least be able to turn up.
you can hook up the 40 watt XXX combo to the cainet too...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
get a peavey vypyr. if you got the money, get a spider hd147 OR a mesa mark. and if you really got the money, go for a hughes kettner switchblade.
Quote by BeethovensBust
If you want a modeling amp, get a Vetta II used.

Yeah, for sure. Or a Vypyr Tube 60.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Man, that dsl 50 seems perfect, but discontinued Guess I could try to find it used, but that is always a gamble.
^used is what we've been talking about this whole time
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
^used is what we've been talking about this whole time

Gotcha.....just found 2 on ebay and put in a bid.....fingers crossed!
wow! this thread got busy after I left...

someone said before that you should look for lower wattage... that's correct. it amounts to you reaching (and exceeding) the point of clipping at a lower volume.

as for which amp you should go with... you should play a few and decide which ones make the tones you like that're also in your price range. stay away from modelers if you plan on using the gnx, and DO NOT get your distortion from that thing!!! you can push a little more gain with it if need be, but get your tone, overdriven and otherwise, from your amp (if you do the smart thing and go with a tube amp, ofcourse).
Normally, I'd say get something not as loud, but it's a Spidervalve, which are really versatile amps and I'm not sure if they come in anything quieter then 100W. I know that there are combo versions, but if the TS ever wants a specific amp head, he just has to buy another head.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Normally, I'd say get something not as loud, but it's a Spidervalve, which are really versatile amps and I'm not sure if they come in anything quieter then 100W. I know that there are combo versions, but if the TS ever wants a specific amp head, he just has to buy another head.

great advice, if he doesn't like the head, just buy another one!

you're fired. it's not at all what he's looking for.
Quote by GrisKy
great advice, if he doesn't like the head, just buy another one!

you're fired. it's not at all what he's looking for.

Fired am I? If he doesn't like a combo, then tack on the price of a head plus $300 for some speakers.

GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Fired am I? If he doesn't like a combo, then tack on the price of a head plus $300 for some speakers.

uh, yeah, FIRED!

the combo is what TS has NOW... and he's looking for another amp. Do the math.

not to mention that line6 cabs are ****, if that's what you meant by the incoherant mess you just posted.
Quote by GrisKy
uh, yeah, FIRED!

not to mention that line6 cabs are ****, if that's what you meant by the incoherant mess you just posted.

He's asking if he should get head version you f*cking prick. I never said he should get a Line 6 cab, so stop being a confrontational little bitch and picking fights with people.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by GrisKy
uh, yeah, FIRED!

First of all, it depends which Line 6 Cabs your talking about, not to mention which amps your using them with. The speakers are voiced flat response, so it handles the amp moddelling FYI.

And btw, the line 6 valve cabinents are pretty good, they come loaded with V30s and sound great, and more affordable then your state of the line 1960s or Mesas.

TS, The spider valve series are mighty fine amps. The hd100 sounds great, but it is LOUD with very little headroom for bedroom levels, you put the thing barely at two and it blows the windows out of your house.

The combo version of these amps are just as good, and more manageable. All depends if you ultimatly want to gig bigger venues or not.

Reminder too, the Spider valves have channel control volumes, so you could coax some better bedroom volumes out of it.
Quote by TheCalvinator
First of all, it depends which Line 6 Cabs your talking about, not to mention which amps your using them with. The speakers are voiced flat response, so it handles the amp moddelling FYI.

And btw, the line 6 valve cabinents are pretty good, they come loaded with V30s and sound great, and more affordable then your state of the line 1960s or Mesas.

TS, The spider valve series are mighty fine amps. The hd100 sounds great, but it is LOUD with very little headroom for bedroom levels, you put the thing barely at two and it blows the windows out of your house.

The combo version of these amps are just as good, and more manageable. All depends if you ultimatly want to gig bigger venues or not.

Reminder too, the Spider valves have channel control volumes, so you could coax some better bedroom volumes out of it.

I agree, they're much meatier sounding than the Spider SS series. (Not sarcasm).

But for the price, you could buy a Vetta used, which is IMO even better sounding than the SV.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
yeah, i get that he's asking if he should get the head version. if you had read the previous posts, you'd know that he's looking for something for bedroom tones, SO WHY WOULD YOU SUGGEST HE GET THE HEAD VERSION OF THE SAME AMP??? I already made this point in post #6.
I think a lot of people on here would benefit from actually reading through the thread.

and the sv series being "mighty fine amps" is a matter of opinion. seeing as how TS owns one and is looking elsewhere should give you a good idea of his opinion, which is the only one that matters on this thread.

admittedly, when i called line 6 cabs s***, I was speaking from the perspective of someone who'd rather go strictly acoustic than to use a modeler... they're fine if that's what you go for, besides the fact that they're cheaply made (which should tell you why they're more affordable than Mesa).
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback and I found an amp that I like IF I can score one on ebay since they are discontinued......jcm 2000 DSL 50. I have a bid in for one right now fingers crossed. Am going to pair this with a Avatar 2x12 (still need to figure out what speakers and open/closed back).

From my very limited experience (spider III 15, vypyr 30 and 75 and SV 112) I liked the SV fine and it was easily the best out of these 4, but was obviously not completely satisfied. I like the idea of getting just a basic nice amp and a seperate cab.....these combo type amps just dont give me a great feeling in general and going seperates just seems like the best route for me. The DSL 50 has me excited since this is more what I was looking for in a head and it is right in my price range, just hope I can score it.
Last edited by toe2323 at Jul 15, 2009,
Do you realize that your just wasting $700 if you buy an amp head. A solid state 40 watt amp is not going to sound that different than a 100 watt tube amp with the volumes turned on .5. A tube amp shines when it is cranked. Get a combo for bedroom practice or save the money a buy a really expensive amp when you start gigging.
Quote by {MetalShredder}
Do you realize that your just wasting $700 if you buy an amp head. A solid state 40 watt amp is not going to sound that different than a 100 watt tube amp with the volumes turned on .5. A tube amp shines when it is cranked. Get a combo for bedroom practice or save the money a buy a really expensive amp when you start gigging.

I wouldn't call a DSL 50 a waste at all.

...besides, if he NEVER gigs with it, it'd be too easy to chunk an attenuator in there
Quote by GrisKy
I wouldn't call a DSL 50 a waste at all.

...besides, if he NEVER gigs with it, it'd be too easy to chunk an attenuator in there

Ok. It's awesome he's getting one but does he really need it? It is an awesome deal but it's just not acceptable for him imo.
i thought he said he gigs too?
EDIT: no wait, he just insisted on a head/cab. oh well, with great tone comes great practice. he'll be in a band soon enough.
Last edited by GrisKy at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
good luck dude.

Thanks I will report back when I get it going.....