Poll: Which Head is Best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Head is Best?
Peavey VYPYR 120W Tube Head ($665)
2 4%
Vox AC100CPH Classic Plus 100W Tube Head ($600)
11 23%
Peavey Valveking 100W ($550)
2 4%
Peavey Windsor Tube Amp Head ($300)
6 13%
Peavey 3120 120W Tube Guitar Amp Head ($1000)
27 56%
Voters: 48.
Page 1 of 2
I'm curious to see which of these heads you guys would prefer?

Genre: Classic Rock / Arena Rock (GN'R), Metal, Also needs to have Good/Warm Cleans
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
Mine.

But you'd have to deal with using a volume pedal/knob or equalizer to tame the overdrive.

The cleans are very fat and warm.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Hah, took me a minute to get the poll up there.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul

Windsor.

*flameshield*

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Ghold125
^Doesn't have the cleans he wants.

TS, what is your budget...

It does with volume control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKlGyl68eW8

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jul 13, 2009,
<700
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul

Bump
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul

How can you compare a 3 channel $1000 amp to a 1 channel $300 amp? What's the point of this?
I'd say the 3120, but it kinda depends on the "metal" you play.

If you play some hardcore kinda stuff than a 3120 would fit nicely, but if you are going to like trash metal and thats is than a Windsor might be better.

Although if you're going the Windsor route you might try looking at used JCM 800's as bubbs tubbs said.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by BobDetroit
How can you compare a 3 channel $1000 amp to a 1 channel $300 amp? What's the point of this?

I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul

Quote by acdclandon
I'd say the 3120, but it kinda depends on the "metal" you play.

If you play some hardcore kinda stuff than a 3120 would fit nicely, but if you are going to like trash metal and thats is than a Windsor might be better.

Although if you're going the Windsor route you might try looking at used JCM 800's as bubbs tubbs said.

I mainly play classic rock (GN'R), but when I play metal, it's a Metallica sound.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul

You could probably find a used JCM800 combo. Does your budget include selling your Spider?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Carvin Legacy?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by mmolteratx
You could probably find a used JCM800 combo. Does your budget include selling your Spider?

This, for sure. Im sure you can find a used JCM800 for $700, just troll Craigslist/eBay
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
The kind of head that doesn't give you herpes.

Oh wait. Guitar amplifiers eh, I thought you meant THAT kind of head.

Among that lot, the thirty-one-twenty. However, I think you can do better with other amps, those you listed... well aren't exactly the best for what you play.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
UG is hilarious sometimes.

A 3120 for classic rock?

The rules specifically say; 'No 'Best' Threads,' because there is no 'best.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The Windsor is a great head...and it does clean up if you roll back the guitar volume...but I wouldn't call the cleans 'good' or 'warm' by any means. If you go for the 3120...try to avoid the free cab it comes with. Its the same as the cab that comes with the Windsor...and it is muddy and has terrible bottom end. Unfortunately...I own one...

EDIT: I own the Windsor cab...re-read that and it could have been a bit confusing
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
The rules specifically say; 'No 'Best' Threads,' because there is no 'best.'

You pedantic dipsh!t - it's obvious to anyone that 'best' in this context means 'best amp head for my requirements'. Read the actual thread before you post, or else take your unhelpful, rule-abiding bollocks elsewhere.

For what you've described, a JCM800 really would be ideal. The Vox is an awful choice, and the Vypyr is pointless since you don't need the versatility - focus on getting an amp that does the one or two tones you like really well. To be hones,t they're all poor choices.

In your price range, I'd suggest either a JCM800 or a Traynor YCS/YCV50. The Traynor is a superb amp and will do everything you need. The Kustom Defender might also be worth a look, it's certainly a step or two up from the Valveking.
Quote by kyle62
You pedantic dipsh!t - it's obvious to anyone that 'best' in this context means 'best amp head for my requirements'. Read the actual thread before you post, or else take your unhelpful, rule-abiding bollocks elsewhere.

What requirements? Genre? There is no 'best' within a genre, that's the whole point. I can tell him a 3120 is not going to suit his needs, but aside from that any of those amps would do just fine. If he described an actual tone he was looking for, this thread would have a point, but all that's going to come from it is arguments about the Windsor's cleans, and JCM 800s not having enough gain... etc. etc.

(Is it just me or does it seem like UG is getting overrun with 100lb 7th graders just looking to talk **** to someone, without getting their ass beat?)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
(Is it just me or does it seem like UG is getting overrun with 100lb 7th graders just looking to talk **** to someone, without getting their ass beat?)

I'll agree with that bit. Point is, he's given a budget and a fairly accurate idea of the tones he likes, and is likely thinking about buying an amp. For Guns N Roses and Metallica, a JCM800/900 will do very nicely - especially with a boost/drive in front of the amp.
Quote by kyle62
I'll agree with that bit. Point is, he's given a budget and a fairly accurate idea of the tones he likes, and is likely thinking about buying an amp. For Guns N Roses and Metallica, a JCM800/900 will do very nicely - especially with a boost/drive in front of the amp.

TS: This is probably the best suggestion, though I'd try a 900 first, because they are kind of love/hate.

Kyle: I agree this thread isn't as bad as some, but there are rules for a reason. The rules are designed to keep the info on here concise and helpful. 10 threads a day asking what amp is best for metal/classic rock/blues/etc. don't help.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
TS: This is probably the best suggestion, though I'd try a 900 first, because they are kind of love/hate.

Kyle: I agree this thread isn't as bad as some, but there are rules for a reason. The rules are designed to keep the info on here concise and helpful. 10 threads a day asking what amp is best for metal/classic rock/blues/etc. don't help.

Especially when every other thread seems to end in either 'JCM800' or 'Classic 30'
Quote by kyle62
Especially when every other thread seems to end in either 'JCM800' or 'Classic 30'

It makes sense though, I'd say those two cover most of what is considered mainstream rock. Both at relatively affordable prices too.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

TS i would go for the Windsor, as Matrix Claw said you can turn a Windsor into a JCM 800 with 10 worth of parts.
and if you can afford a 3120 then get a JCM800/900 and buy a boost if you dont like the gain of it(the 900 SL-X has tons of it).
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

TS i would go for the Windsor, as Matrix Claw said you can turn a Windsor into a JCM 800 with 10 worth of parts.
and if you can afford a 3120 then get a JCM800/900 and buy a boost if you dont like the gain of it(the 900 SL-X has tons of it).

$10 worth of parts and $300 worth of $75/per hour tech fees.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
$10 worth of parts and $300 worth of $75/per hour tech fees.

you can do it yourself if you have the knowledge to do it
or you have a family member/friend that could help you do it
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by stykerwolf
Yeah there's a best, it's called Trainwreck

I guarantee you there are people out there that HATE them. Same with Dumbles, even though they are thought of as the very top of the line, by many. That's all I was trying to say, is that individual tastes will always differ on amps, just because Trainwrecks are the most expensive, unattainable amp you've ever heard of does not make them any good.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I guarantee you there are people out there that HATE them. Same with Dumbles, even though they are thought of as the very top of the line, by many. That's all I was trying to say, is that individual tastes will always differ on amps, just because Trainwrecks are the most expensive, unattainable amp you've ever heard of does not make them any good.

As from the "" i was kidding, i know everyone has differant tastes.
Quote by stykerwolf
As from the "" i was kidding, i know everyone has differant tastes.

Would be kidding.
Is "I'm so happy to be right all the time."

Just kidding, this thread has completely lost any usefulness it may have, at one time, had.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
you can do it yourself if you have the knowledge to do it
or you have a family member/friend that could help you do it

If there was some type of step-by-step walkthrough, I could probably do it myself.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul

Quote by Janicki
If there was some type of step-by-step walkthrough, I could probably do it myself.

No, you can't. If you don't have 100% confidence, then you have no business even opening the chassis. The actual mod is the easy part. The hard parts are not electrocuting yourself, and troubleshooting when something doesn't work.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
How 'bout Mesa?

700 can get you some pretty good used stuff.

Try a DC30 or even an older MKIII combo.
I still find the overwhelming number of votes for a redone XXX for CLASSIC ROCK to be one of the most amusing things I've ever seen on this site.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
I still find the overwhelming number of votes for a redone XXX for CLASSIC ROCK to be one of the most amusing things I've ever seen on this site.

I was thinking the same thing...I think the fact that there is a price beside each option has introduced a bias into this poll

Higher price=/=better amp...at least when it comes to something that is genre-specific like this
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 14, 2009,
Page 1 of 2