I've decided that it's time to do an EQ check and update my sound. I am running an Ibanez IJXB190 through a Digitech BP200 into a Peavey Max 115.

I am up against a guitarist playing a Schecter Hellraiser C1 through a Line 6 Spider Jam and a very violent drummer.

I play in a Post-Hardcore band and am looking for the following in tone:

-Clicky (slightly, not too much like Fieldy, but something sort of subtle)
-Cutting
-Thick
-Bassy (obviously...)

I do not have enough money to buy anything new yet (that will be another thread coming up), so what are my options for this set up?

Any help is appreciated.
I don't get the question...

plug your bass into your RP, the RP into the amp, choose an effect on the RP you like, and eq the amp to whatever setting you like.

no sig for joo
Quote by matttehbassist
I don't get the question...

plug your bass into your RP, the RP into the amp, choose an effect on the RP you like, and eq the amp to whatever setting you like.

I'm trying to figure out what settings on my amp I should use to get the desired sound. Example: Lows at +8; Mids at -3; Highs at +12; Gain at 8; etc.
The desired sound is up to you, not us. play around with your equipment and find a tone that you like, there's really no way anyone can give you a good answer to this.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by Hobble
The desired sound is up to you, not us. play around with your equipment and find a tone that you like, there's really no way anyone can give you a good answer to this.

Well is there any way to make my tone more clicky (clickier? I don't know.) specifically? And to better make it cut through the band?
Quote by Royal Celebi
Well is there any way to make my tone more clicky (clickier? I don't know.) specifically? And to better make it cut through the band?

I own an IJXB190, and it really doesnt have much to offer when it comes to tone.
I dont know anything about that Boss pedal so i cant help you much there.

Are you using a pick when you play? Sometimes that adds to the edginess that could help you to stick out more.

If its a Feildy sound you want.. downtune like hell and turn up the treble. (I personally hate his sound and do not recommend it).
Quote by joehhy
I own an IJXB190, and it really doesnt have much to offer when it comes to tone.
I dont know anything about that Boss pedal so i cant help you much there.

Are you using a pick when you play? Sometimes that adds to the edginess that could help you to stick out more.

If its a Feildy sound you want.. downtune like hell and turn up the treble. (I personally hate his sound and do not recommend it).

No pick. I prefer finger style.

And I don't want a Fieldy sound, just a slight click (similar to his, but much more subtle).
Quote by Royal Celebi

If you want to cut through, boost your mids, the rest is preference. personally the only equipment I use is my amp and my bass, I boost the mids on my amp around 3 O'clock, I cut the bass to about 11/10 o clock, and the treble to about the same. I have active pickups with bass/treble eq on my bass, and I crank those. That gives me a bit of a hot sound, that cuts, through but doesn't sound too harsh.

But your equipment is different than mine and it won't react the same way to my settings. So I'd recommend just playing around with your settings. Maybe take a bit to figure out what each frequency does to your tone, and than as you get used to it you'll know how to adjust your sound the way you want it.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by Royal Celebi

I play in a Post-Hardcore band and am looking for the following in tone:

-Cutting
-Thick
-Bassy (obviously...)

I do not have enough money to buy anything new yet (that will be another thread coming up), so what are my options for this set up?

I can save you a thread, buy a Stingray
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I play post hardcore and I have these settings: (0 - 10 nob settings)
Treble: 9
Bass: 8
Low Mid: 3
High Mid: 5
Gain: 8
Reverb: 3.5

The louder you play, the less gain you need otherwise you'll get too much feedback and your amp will start squeaking.
Check my profile...
Quote by joehhy
what are your normal settings for both bass and amp?

My amp is at my guitarist's house so I'll have to check back with an answer from him when he gets out of work.

My bass is:

Leftmost knob when playing (I'm assuming it's bass): Cranked
Middle knob (volume?): Cranked
Rightmost knob (either mids or highs): 3/4 cranked

My pedal says:

(Category: Option Chosen)
Fretless/Wah: FulRng (full range, I'm assuming)
Compressor: Amt 42; Gain 12; 160 HZ
Equalizer: Bass 12; Mids 0; Treb 6
Cabinet - Gate: 1x15; Silencer; Gate Threshold 20

Quote by ChemicalFire
I can save you a thread, buy a Stingray

Except for the fact that a. I have no money, and b. I hate the way Stingrays feel in my hand. The neck is too chunky for me =/

Quote by Sasms
I play post hardcore and I have these settings: (0 - 10 nob settings)
Treble: 9
Bass: 8
Low Mid: 3
High Mid: 5
Gain: 8
Reverb: 3.5

The louder you play, the less gain you need otherwise you'll get too much feedback and your amp will start squeaking.

What do you mean by squeaking? Like the tweeter freaking out?
Last edited by Royal Celebi at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Royal Celebi
-Cutting
-Thick
-Bassy (obviously...)

OK, here's some notes:
I don't really understand what you mean by "clicky," but if its anything like Fieldy's tone, it have a "scooped" midrange. Scooped≠Cutting. In fact, it is the exact opposite. There is no better way to bury yourself in the mix than to cut out all the mids. The more treble and mids you have the more you cut through. That doesn't mean that you can't have a nice low end to your sound, but it cannot get in the way of everything else. "Thick," depending on who you talk to, either means having an even frequency response or being extra bassy.
I'd keep that in mind and fiddle with your eq settings until you find something.

Also, for your next bass, Chemicalfire might be right about the Stingray. If you don't like the neck, there are plenty of basses with a similar tone. The Warwick $$ and the Ibanez ATK are good examples, but if you didn't like the Stingray neck, I don't think you'll find these much better. The Musicman Sterling (not to be confused with Sterling by Musicman) is very similar, but with slightly different electronics and a thinner neck and body. I believe the Musicman Bongo also has a thinner neck, but I might be wrong.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I actually have the tone you want.. hehe.. at least if I am understanding it right.

it won't be the same, obviously, because we have different equipment.

For the click, my solution doesn't deal with the EQ at all. I have my action pretty dang low and I dig the crap out of my strings (and neck pick up isolated with full tone). I think it is "clickier" when I finger than when I pick.. The click comes from the string bouncing on the fret board a little bit.

For the thick, bassy cut through, I have my EQ set to like: 63:+2, 150:+4; 350+1.5; 800:+1; 2K:0; 5K:+1. Uhh, in your terms that'd be like Low at 1 o'clock, Low Mid at 2 o'clock, High Mid at 1 o'clock, and High at noon. I also have a frequency notch though.. I usually have it set around (I think) between 150 and 350 or sometimes between 350 and 800. I honestly cannot tell, but there are two distinct sounds and I like them both for different things. (So that is why, for "one up, one down" EQ purists, my whole EQ is basically in the positive range.)

but sometimes I biamp with a single 8" combo amp. The settings on that are Low at noon, Low Mid and High Mid at 2 o'clock, and High at a little before noon (like 11:45 or something). This adds a nice harsh high end for when I use distortions or really try to get that punk growl.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by kugelspot
OK, here's some notes:
I don't really understand what you mean by "clicky," but if its anything like Fieldy's tone, it have a "scooped" midrange. Scooped≠Cutting. In fact, it is the exact opposite. There is no better way to bury yourself in the mix than to cut out all the mids. The more treble and mids you have the more you cut through. That doesn't mean that you can't have a nice low end to your sound, but it cannot get in the way of everything else. "Thick," depending on who you talk to, either means having an even frequency response or being extra bassy.
I'd keep that in mind and fiddle with your eq settings until you find something.

Also, for your next bass, Chemicalfire might be right about the Stingray. If you don't like the neck, there are plenty of basses with a similar tone. The Warwick $$ and the Ibanez ATK are good examples, but if you didn't like the Stingray neck, I don't think you'll find these much better. The Musicman Sterling (not to be confused with Sterling by Musicman) is very similar, but with slightly different electronics and a thinner neck and body. I believe the Musicman Bongo also has a thinner neck, but I might be wrong.

Scooped midrange, what do you mean by the scooped =/= cutting thing? If cutting is going backwards then is scooping forwards?

My thick means extra bassy. Does that mean I should bring my mids and lows up and flatten my treble?

The Ibanez ATK is one of my favorites. I actually just praised it in another thread.

Quote by lordofthefood1
I actually have the tone you want.. hehe.. at least if I am understanding it right.

it won't be the same, obviously, because we have different equipment.

For the click, my solution doesn't deal with the EQ at all. I have my action pretty dang low and I dig the crap out of my strings (and neck pick up isolated with full tone). I think it is "clickier" when I finger than when I pick.. The click comes from the string bouncing on the fret board a little bit.

For the thick, bassy cut through, I have my EQ set to like: 63:+2, 150:+4; 350+1.5; 800:+1; 2K:0; 5K:+1. Uhh, in your terms that'd be like Low at 1 o'clock, Low Mid at 2 o'clock, High Mid at 1 o'clock, and High at noon. I also have a frequency notch though.. I usually have it set around (I think) between 150 and 350 or sometimes between 350 and 800. I honestly cannot tell, but there are two distinct sounds and I like them both for different things. (So that is why, for "one up, one down" EQ purists, my whole EQ is basically in the positive range.)

but sometimes I biamp with a single 8" combo amp. The settings on that are Low at noon, Low Mid and High Mid at 2 o'clock, and High at a little before noon (like 11:45 or something). This adds a nice harsh high end for when I use distortions or really try to get that punk growl.

I dig a whole lot too, I guess I could fix my action. I'll play with the knobs then.

Thanks.
Quote by Royal Celebi
Scooped midrange, what do you mean by the scooped =/= cutting thing? If cutting is going backwards then is scooping forwards?

My thick means extra bassy. Does that mean I should bring my mids and lows up and flatten my treble?

The Ibanez ATK is one of my favorites. I actually just praised it in another thread.

I dig a whole lot too, I guess I could fix my action. I'll play with the knobs then.

Thanks.

I don't know about that first sentence, but I've always been under the impression that scooping and cutting were very similar (both in the negative direction).

but yeah, if you lower the action and have high "tone" pick ups, they should be fine to make some "click" as in you can hear the strings off of the fret board, which is what I think you meant when you were trying to explain
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Royal Celebi

Sorry for not being clearer. By cutting I'm talking about a cutting tone, or cutting through the mix, ie being able to be heard over guitars, drums, vocals etc, and scooping out the mids will do the exact opposite. To cut through really well you need a more midrange. More treble and less bass help too, but unless you do anything really drastic with either (like completely cutting your highs or cranking the lows), midrange will be more important. If you like the ATK I'd get it. If you string it with roundwounds and change the strings regularly, an ATK will probably do everything you want (it's nice and growly, so it cuts through well, but still has plenty of low end to it).
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
Sorry for not being clearer. By cutting I'm talking about a cutting tone, or cutting through the mix, ie being able to be heard over guitars, drums, vocals etc, and scooping out the mids will do the exact opposite. To cut through really well you need a more midrange. More treble and less bass help too, but unless you do anything really drastic with either (like completely cutting your highs or cranking the lows), midrange will be more important. If you like the ATK I'd get it. If you string it with roundwounds and change the strings regularly, an ATK will probably do everything you want (it's nice and growly, so it cuts through well, but still has plenty of low end to it).

So I could buy the ATK and, if I kept my current amp, I would thrive?
I don't know, what kind of amp is it? If its a good amp, the ATK will work fine. Remember, the quality of the amp is way more important than the quality of the bass. A mediocre bass will sound decent with a great amp, but even a great bass will sound like crap if you use a crap amp. I don't know anything about peavey amps. Can someone enlighten me?
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by Royal Celebi
No pick. I prefer finger style.

And I don't want a Fieldy sound, just a slight click (similar to his, but much more subtle).

well you need to turn treble up a ton and lower the bass a ****load to get the "clicky" sound. unfortunately i dont think you would be able to get it "clicky" and not have it all rattly and flat sounding with out using a dual amp set up or some kind of effect man. but i dont know, i just have my bass up as far as possible with out getting muddy so ive never experimented with it before. hey there's a world experiment try that out. you might be able to get the sound you want.