This thread is kind of about two things in particular.

Firstly a couple months back I was basically your typical scrub guitarist who knows chords can play that and that but didn't know jack **** about theory or anything. Well I've been working and from scratch this is my best "improv solo" now and its just Minor Pentatonic.

so here goes nothing http://www.sendspace.com/file/659xa1

Now to my second my friend wrote a song and wants me to learn it by ear, but only if I can learn it by ear - so no I'm not hear to cheat but.. well get advice on how to do it. The first thing I did from what he showed me about keys, relatives and that sort was find its key. Just playing a minor pentatonic to the song and it was F#m or its relative major A.

But now... I just don't know what to do

This is the song http://www.sendspace.com/file/e41ri8
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
theory: click the link in my sig. sounds like exactly what youre looking for (learning wise).

as for learning by ear, best way ive found is to chop away lick by lick. work slowly and replay the part youre learning over and over til you think youve got it. consider possible fingerings to make things easier (possibly playing in position as opposed to playing in open position.) etc. no wrong way to go about it really.

ALSO: props to your friends song. very nice! sounds straight forward, you shouldnt have too much trouble playing it if you learn some barre chords etc.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Last edited by TK1 at Jul 14, 2009,
To me, playing by ear was all just hit and miss and more hitting than missing over time.
A good way to figure things out by ear. Listen to the song a few times. No guitar, no nothing. Just listen. Get a feel for the song, the tempo, the rhythm, everything. Once you have that in your mind, you only need to focus on notes. Then, I usually listen to the first section (intro, first verse, whatever you wanna call it) and try to figure out the chords. Get the progression down (write it down). Then figure out the riffs/lead/whatever. I try to either record this or write it on staff paper (or tab if you must). Repeat this for the rest of the song. It's a lot of trial and error, but after a while, you'll hear things and have a good idea of how they're played on the guitar. It's just about developing your ear and building relationships between your ear and the fretboard.
It's also really helpful if you can recognize the sound of the intervals between the notes. Too bad I also have a terrible ear >_>
i don't know why i feel so dry
That's good you've figured out the key, well sort of. An easy way of determining if it's in the major or minor is by listening and deciding whether it sounds "happy" or "sad". Happy = major, sad = minor.

In any case, some basic key theory will give you a template of chords that the song is most likely created from.

If the song was in the key of A maj, the chords that create the song would most likely be a combination of;

A maj
B min
C# min
D maj
E maj
F# min
G# diminished

Knowing this will reduce the "hit and miss" style of figuring out songs and help you write your own songs. Good luck!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
this is a VERY VERY crude way of going about it..I don't really like this method, it's more of a last resort thing. So here goes...
Play the song in Windows Media Player, Slow it down, figure it out note for note...
Quote by AlanHB
An easy way of determining if it's in the major or minor is by listening and deciding whether it sounds "happy" or "sad". Happy = major, sad = minor.

Haha try telling that to the guys in the "saddest progressions" thread. I would say forget about "happy" and "sad" and just learn what the character of major and minor keys is (don't say happy and sad!). All you need is be able to hear the difference between a major and minor third. Simple.

For learning songs by ear, as you get more experienced you'll get better and better at it. It's a matter of trial and error really. As you practice and listen your ear should become accustomed to the way certain chords and scales sound and where any given chord or lick might likely be located on the freboard, and you'll find it easier. You can train your ear to get better at this. Start off by learning the sound of each interval, and work up to chords, scales and arpeggios.

If you need some help with that song still, highlight below for the first two chords.

>A - Cadd9<

I think anyway

I can give you the rest if you want, but that would defeat the purpose eh.
i recomend a program called TRANSCRIBE. it slows down tracks without distorting them. i use it in my jazz degree all the time, and you work from the slowest speed, and the better you get, the faster you make the speed. you can even speed up the track to help you get even more better. other then that, its like getting to carnegie hall. practice, practice, practice.
you are hearing me talk

CHECK OUT MY TUNES ON MY PROFILE

Gear:

laney VC30
tele/jaguar hybrid
Big muff
Small clone chorus
memory boy
Hadrwire RV-7 reverb
DD3 delay
Dunlop Crybaby wah
TS9 overdrive clone
home made tremolo
Quote by Beserker
Haha try telling that to the guys in the "saddest progressions" thread. I would say forget about "happy" and "sad" and just learn what the character of major and minor keys is (don't say happy and sad!). All you need is be able to hear the difference between a major and minor third. Simple.

Yeah but for a beginner with no knowledge of music theory, this method will make them quit because it takes more time. Better to do the faster way, rather than the correct theoretical way at the start. Believe me, telling a student that A minor is the sad one, A major is the happy one makes a whole lot more sense than a lecture on intervals, which first requires knowledge of scales
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud