I have some questions:

Is it cheaper to build or purchase a tube amp (cabinet)?

What is the difference (soundwise) between the green and blue Celestion speakers?

How do you install the multi-channel thing (like the Marshall JVM 410h) along with other analog effects?

What tubes are good tubes? I've heard of EL34's.
id assume it would be cheaper comparatively
as if you build it yourslf you can make it to a high grade of craftsmanship (better than a chinese made cabinet anyway)
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Any cabinet made DIY will be way cheaper than anything made by major companies. Sure, it may be cool to have that orange cab, But is the extra price really worth the name and colour? And the loss of customizability?

For tubes, I've heard of 12ax7.(Just heard of)

Also, If it's a cab your building, You wont need tubes. But, If it's an amp, then you'd need 'em.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by captainsix
I have some questions:

Is it cheaper to build or purchase a tube amp (cabinet)?
Cheaper to build. But unless you have the skills, it makes much more sense to buy one made to spec.

Quote by captainsix
What is the difference (soundwise) between the green and blue Celestion speakers?
Not much. The Blue is slightly more efficient. They both have similar response curves.

Quote by captainsix
How do you install the multi-channel thing (like the Marshall JVM 410h) along with other analog effects?
It's called channel switching. You don't "install" it. You design it into your amp's architecture.

Quote by captainsix
What tubes are good tubes? I've heard of EL34's.
They're all "good" tubes. Just depends on the characteristics you want to design around.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
At the moment im in the process of building a 4x10 cab, it's cheaper then higher end cabs but it's about the same as middle class cabs. Although buying 4 speakers wasn't easy on my money.

So i'd say build it but be careful or you'll end up going over budget
you can build a cabinet using high end parts cheaper than you can buy
however a tube amp OTOH is expensive build we are talking at least 1k for a 15 watt tube amp with good components. Unless you are just wanting a to do project amp build as a hobby I recommend buying.
I will say this much, you can build a much nicer amp than you can buy if you don't skimp on the components.
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild
I think I got my terminology mixed up. I was thinking of a Bluesbreaker style combo amp.
I think you need to learn a bit more about amplifiers. You talk about only wanting to make a cab, but then ask about the "multi-channel thing" found on the jvm, which is a feature that is completely apart from the cab. Research a bit more about the differences between the power amp, preamp, and the speakers. The only parts that use tubes are the preamp and the power amp. 12ax7s are popular preamp tubes, and 6l6/6V6 and EL34/EL84 are popular power amp tubes, but you really need to do some research and find out what kind of sound you want.

Now, do you want to build a Bluesbreaker style amp? If it's a purely a saving money thing, I would suggest checking out Ceriatone.com, as they have many high-quality vintage amp reproductions for fairly low prices. Otherwise, you're gonna have to really read about amplifiers, get an accurate schematic online, and start building away. You might save some money building from scratch, but the amount of work will be colossal, especially with no prior experience (Hell, building a bluesbreaker as your first foray into electronics is borderline impossible, imo).

Now, if I've completely misunderstood the post and all you're interested is making a speaker cab, then that can save you some money, and I'd highly recommend it.

Sorry this turned into such a long post; I at least hope it was helpful!
Gear:
-Saga strat, modded with guitarfetish p/ups
-epiphone abomination (don't know what it's called) with scalloped neck and power rails gfs p/up
-Fender Twin Reverb
-Blues screamer pedal
-Boss Turbo overdrive