I am mainly a bassist and play my guitars through my bass amp. It's a 60 watt peavey SS with a 12" speaker. I am currently playing an Ibanez RG prestige with an emg 80 in the bridge position(found it used for $500, couldn't pass that up) through a Boss odb-3 bass distortion pedal and you can really tell it's not built for guitar sounds at all...in fact it's not too great at bass sounds either. The amp on the other hand can give me really nice cleans on the guitar and I can get a good eq usually since it has a mid shift knob to choose the mid frequency and also a presence knob that really helps a lot.

So what I'm looking for in a pedal is a good bit of versatility. I play 80's rock like poison all the way to power metal like Firewind and then I also play melodic death metal like Kalmah... Anybody know a good OD pedal that could get me even close to getting these types of tones. It doesn't have to be amazing as I don't play guitar in a band. I just need a good step up from what I've got. A guitar amp will probably come in the future but I have no real need(or space in my bedroom) for one, so I'm just looking to get what I can out of a pedal for now. Budget is kinda lenient but try not to go too far over $150...thx guys.

I know the tones are quite a wide range but the 80's tone and power metal tones would be most important.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jul 14, 2009,
you're looking for a distortion pedal. get a proco rat
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
looking for an od? i thought the bassist really loved the fuzzes and proco's and the such. well i'll tell what i know. bass is kinda funky and doesn't directly correlate with what works for guitar, but my bassist loves pedals and he uses:

dod buzz box(for really wild stuff)
mxr distortion+(70's model)
fuzz face
big muff
rat proco(80's model)

he seems to favor difference ones at different times, but i can quote him as saying that the mxr distortion+ was his favorite. the fuzz face seems to get a lot of play too as well. all these pedals have different effects and i don't think a one is an OD pedal. my guess is you will probably need 1 distortion pedal and 1 good fuzz pedal to get a wide range of ragged tones, but you have a good chance of getting a middle of the road through 1 pedal, maybe not a od though, i really think they may be too muddy for ya, may be just what you want too though.

for od's, i use a addrock not so ol' yeller. boutique from chesapeake, va. fulltone ocd's also get alot of good press. keeley and analogman both offer originals and mods of god od pedals. and ibanez makes a handmade tubescreamer that is insanely good with an equally insane price.
I'm sorry i didn't specify well enough that this is to be used with my guitars and not my basses. The statement about being mostly a bassist was meant to signify my lack of knowledge and equipment for guitar.

I was listening to some rat sound clips(yes i know that the net isn't the best for this sort of thing it's just a start) and it sounded ok. but not quite my thing. then again they were all played through tube amps so it's a horrible comparison. If i see one in store I'll definitely give it a shot.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I'm a pretty huge lobbyist for the Blackstar HT-DISTX, so I will put it here too. It's a little more expensive its $180 which isn't too far over 150. But if you want something REALLY good than you have to pay for it. I tried a bunch of cheaper pedals like Boss, Digitech, MXR, and none of them are really usable. To be fair, I haven't tried any of the pedals by gumbilicious, so you should check those too.

blackstar

there's been some sound clips and stuff on youtube
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Last edited by stinger12345 at Jul 14, 2009,