What does this mean? I saw on the order form for Dimarzio super distortions a regular option or an f spaced option
It means the pole piece spacing is for a Fender style bridge.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
F spaced, also known as trem spaced, have the poles spaced further apart. I strongly advise against F spaced pickups even if you have a trem on your guitar because the wider spacing doesn't help string balance like it's supposed to but it does reduce top end and make the low end more boomy and less controlled. The best bet is to get a normal spaced pickup and if your E strings seem weak simply raise the adjustable poles.
Not taking any online orders.
Hmm I've not had the level of experience with pickups like CorduroyEW has... but having normal spaced pickups on tremolo spaced guitars is not going to affect you sound that much, if at all. Magnetic fields curve out and up, so even if the pole is not directly under your string, it can still pick up the vibrations.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Hmm I've not had the level of experience with pickups like CorduroyEW has... but having normal spaced pickups on tremolo spaced guitars is not going to affect you sound the least, if at all. Magnetic fields curve out and up, so even if the pole is not directly under your string, it can still pick up the vibrations.

Wrong.

My MIJ Rhoads came with a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge position that was non-F-spaced and because of the poles being nearly half an inch off by the high e, my gain on the three high strings was severely diminished until I swapped pups to a properly spaced one.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Wrong.

My MIJ Rhoads came with a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge position that was non-F-spaced and because of the poles being nearly half an inch off by the high e, my gain on the three high strings was severely diminished until I swapped pups to a properly spaced one.

Half an inch?

That's a lot.

I've installed 9 pickups for my friends. 4 of which were regular spaced on tremolo guitars. 4 of which were F spaced on tremolo guitar. The difference with SHIT ALL. Practically no difference at all. That said, the difference in spacing was tiny.

What the hell are you playing? A 6 string bass? 1 cm difference is massive! That's practically the difference from one string to another. Either you have a HUGE bridge, a buggered pup or you're trolling right there.

The difference between an F-spaced pup and an regular pup is about .02mm on the first string.

pics or GTFO.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Wrong.

Something not right there. The total difference in width of the spacing is 3mm which is divided between the bass and treble sides so you should be looking at 1.5mm misalignment on the bass E and 1.5mm on the treble. Converting that to inches put the misalignment at less than 1/16" off. When you consider the fact the the poles are 3/16" thick it means that a "normal" pickup should still have the E poles under the strings and they should only be out of alignment by one third of a pole which can actually be useful for bending notes because you will be bending into the magnetic field instead of out of it.

How your pickup ended up nearly a half inch is beyond me given that a half inch off would require the pole spacing to be 25.4mm narrower rather than 3mm.
Not taking any online orders.