hey guys iv got an esp explorer loaded with two emgs and a les paul copy with dimarzio pickups. i heard that in order to get squeals like zakk's to really ring out u need to have a more higher action. i can get them to really ring out on the les paul which has a normal action but on the explorer which has low action i cant really get them to ring out as much they sort of just ping and then thats it where as the les paul really rings out like zakks any thoughts/answers to if u need a more higher action to get the squeals to ring out? Also would the type of amp come in to play as well? thanks!!!
high gain, bridge pup, good technique. well actually you really don't need high gain but it does help them ring out but as long as you get used to the guitar and find out where all the pinch harmonics are they you should be good
Quote by azn_guitarist25
high gain, bridge pup, good technique. well actually you really don't need high gain but it does help them ring out but as long as you get used to the guitar and find out where all the pinch harmonics are they you should be good

Among those three, an excellent technique will get you the furthest in terms of getting the pinch harmonics out.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Zakk wylde mentioned if your action is too low harmonics dont come out...But I have very low action on my Randy rhoads and CBV1122 and the pinches that come out are very aggressive...so from my experience if the note doesnt buzz itll definiatly pinch
i don't think your action will have that much to do with it unless the action is so low that the strings are brushing other frets and deadening the note. pulling off a pinch harmonic is a little different from guitar to guitar. some of my guitar spit em out a little more readily than others and the "sweet spot" seems to be slightly different on different guitars as well. just try moving your picking hand around a bit and see if you can find a better spot along the string to pluck it to make the harmonic come out better.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

+1, technique and knowing where on the string you should be hitting the harmonic are the biggest factors. I used to think I could only do pinch harmonics on my bridge pup but since playing them more and more I can do them just fine on my neck pup now.
Quote by Shabadoo
+1, technique and knowing where on the string you should be hitting the harmonic are the biggest factors. I used to think I could only do pinch harmonics on my bridge pup but since playing them more and more I can do them just fine on my neck pup now.

+2 Once you learn where all the harmonics are (takes a load of practice to get it into muscle memory so you can do it while you're playing) then you can work on making them ring out longer or adding lots of vibrato.

Action won't make much of a difference.
Zakk's squeals sound the way they do really more because of the vibrato he puts on the note than anything else.
Quote by Shabadoo

yeah but for me i've always found that the p.h always screamed way louder with my bridge pup then again it could be just be because i have the X2N.
The action will affect where your hand is in relation to the bridge. And that will affect your technique. I think that's what he means when he says high action. It's easier to do on tune-o-matic bridges because they're higher up on the guitar so you can really dig in. I still have trouble doing them consistently on my ultra low-profile Edge Zero. The neck angle probably has a little to do with it also. The neck angles back on Gibsons so your right hand will be in an optimal PH position more often than on a guitar that's straight.

P.S. - I may have just made up those "facts"
Technique is by far the biggest factor but if you are sure that isn't the problem:
-Bridge pup on
-Tone knob on full (most treble)
-More treble on the EQ of amp (or EQ pedal if you have one)
-Experiment with different areas of the string (between fretboard and bridge, note that this will be different depending on the note you are playing and different from string to string)
As far as action I would say that is likely just a myth, never noticed a real difference before and I play a wide variety of setups, different actions and string gauges.
Gain max, treble max, a good fret and string for vibrato and the right spot for 2 octaves -- the easiest way.