I opened the back of the squire where the springs are and there was a wire, what is it for? When I modded my buddys washburn it didn't have a wire in the back, just wondering what it is.
Quote by Union Jake
just straight up normal male group jerking session, it was like i was on my own aprt from getting kinda bumped into and the weird noises.
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

You earned your name, pal.
Thats the ground wire from your bridge. It goes attached to the back of your pot. Its more noticeable in something with a trem. I can only find one end of it in my guitars with a TOM bridge.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Well the wires in the guitar are mostly all bad, should I go ahead and replace it too?
Quote by Union Jake
just straight up normal male group jerking session, it was like i was on my own aprt from getting kinda bumped into and the weird noises.
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

All right I'll work around it than.
Quote by Union Jake
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

Ok, thanks guys.
Quote by Union Jake
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

that is the wire that keeps you from getting the piss knocked out of you if you plug in to your amp bare footed on a concrete floor
trust me on this
without the bridge ground you will get a lot of unwanted RF problems as well
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild
all right, I gotta get a new wire for the volume, as it's missing a chunk in the middle. Just gotta fix it and it should run fine again.
Quote by Union Jake
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

Quote by SoundManMike
that is the wire that keeps you from getting the piss knocked out of you if you plug in to your amp bare footed on a concrete floor
trust me on this
without the bridge ground you will get a lot of unwanted RF problems as well

False. Quite the contrary, actually. Grounding the electronics to the bridge actually allows small amounts of electricity to flow to ground through your body when you touch the strings. This is why sometimes a guitar will buzz until you touch the strings.
If you are interested in protecting yourself from shock, you add a capacitor like the 400v one mentioned here: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
The green wire? That's the detonator. DON'T CUT IT!!!!

lol. srsly, that's the string ground. Use an multimeter set to ohms and make sure you have good continuity between the strings and the central grounding point (usually the case of the volume pot) Good continuity = no need to replace or resolder the wire/connection.

Quote by cedricsmods
False. Quite the contrary, actually. Grounding the electronics to the bridge actually allows small amounts of electricity to flow to ground through your body when you touch the strings. This is why sometimes a guitar will buzz until you touch the strings.
If you are interested in protecting yourself from shock, you add a capacitor like the 400v one mentioned here: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
lol. You're quite right.
But the cap that guy suggests is not all that effective for ground faults.
To be small enough to present a large reactance to line frequencies it also reduces the ability of the circuit to ground your body.

imho, the best approach is a direct string ground + proper wiring practices + gfci
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^^what he said about the multimeter. dunno whats a good number off the top of my head but first do continuity test then check ohms. should be the same resistance as any good peice of wire end to end. if it aint broke dont fix it
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.