Ok, well i got $225 for new pickups for my guitar... I want pickups that give it a thrash metal sound (anything that sounds like metallica or megadeth it doesn't matter)... but i dont have enough for a whole guitar
What guitar/amp are you using? An better amp will generally give you a better increase in tone/sound.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
i have a fender starcaster... not a stratocaster
sano (all i know is its a tube amp, my grandmas friend gave it to me)
my sound now isn't thick (if thats the right term) enough for the type of music i play
i have tried a few amps at friends houses with my guitar... mine isnt the problem
well if you're looking for a metallica type of sound the first thing to start with is your amp, but if you have a decent amp then go for the classic EMG cambination, the 81/60. but if you have passive pups in your guitar right now you might need help from a tech to replace them for the emg's because they're active
Seymour Duncan pickups are often quite thick, and affordable, but you'll have to find which ones best suit the amp, different pickups sound much different on tube amps.

A JB '59 set would be a good place to start checking them out, that's what Mustaine used in his guitar for years.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
can somebody tell me how much of a difference calibrated pups make compared to non-calibrated pups? theres a £91 difference in price for the ones im looking at so i was thinking it must be a fair amount.
What the... Fsss... Are you looking at Bare Knuckle Pickups? those are really high end pickups, I'm not certain if you'll be able to tell the difference if you're at starter level. Plus... BKPs cost a lot. but if you can appreciate the tone, they are worth it.

I'd recommend getting some DiMarzios at your level. That way if you dislike what you get, you can always trade it in for an exchange.

A calibrated pair of pickups means that the neck pickup and the bridge pickups are wound to values which would have similar output levels.

Due to the more intense vibration at the neck location vs the bridge location, an 11k pickup at the neck will always sound louder than an 11k pickup at the bridge.

Calibrating the pickups would put it such that the bridge and neck pickups are wound to levels that are approximately equal.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 14, 2009,
Plesae, please - the amount you're spending on pickups could buy you a really nice guitar like a Yamaha Pacifica, Squier Tele Custom II, or an Ibanez SA160. Don't waste your cash!

Unless the Starcaster you've got looks like this:

...in which case, awesome!
oh yeah i forgot to say i jacked this thread...
and i know the difference between calibrated and non calibrated pickups, what im saying is it worth the extra money (£99 for non calibrated £191 for calibrated)?
Quote by LOLBEER
oh yeah i forgot to say i jacked this thread...
and i know the difference between calibrated and non calibrated pickups, what im saying is it worth the extra money (£99 for non calibrated £191 for calibrated)?

Good god no! Where are you reading that?
Last post to the thread jacker....

WHAT? Which company charges an EXTRA to calibrate 2 pickups? Its usually done free.

To the original TS....

The Seymour Duncan SH4 (or TB4 if you're installing it into a tremolo guitar) or SH6 (TB6)

Alternatively...

A pair of DiMarzio D Activators or D Activator Xs.... heavy and active sounding for the thrash.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by LOLBEER
its on the bareknuckle website

I think what it means is £91 for a single pickup, £191 for a full calibrated set. Apart from anything else, there's no way you could get a set for £91! Though the only thing that costs that much from BKP site is an HSS set, I'm sure.
I think what it means is £91 for a single pickup, £191 for a full calibrated set. Apart from anything else, there's no way you could get a set for £91! Though the only thing that costs that much from BKP site is an HSS set, I'm sure.

haha thatll be it, no idea why i didnt see it. cheers bro
Take the money you want to spend on pick-ups and buy a new guitar. Either that or flush the money down the toilet. You may get your Starcaster from horrible to bad, but you will never get it to sound good without spending 3 times its value.

Edit: I'm not saying you shouldn't keep playing the guitar, just don't put money into it. Save up and buy a better one, that guitar will be fine in the meantime.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by LOLBEER
haha thatll be it, no idea why i didnt see it. cheers bro

Sent a PM.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by tubetime86
Take the money you want to spend on pick-ups and buy a new guitar. Either that or flush the money down the toilet. You may get your Starcaster from horrible to bad, but you will never get it to sound good without spending 3 times its value.

Edit: I'm not saying you shouldn't keep playing the guitar, just don't put money into it. Save up and buy a better one, that guitar will be fine in the meantime.

+1

And get something with humbuckers.

Figure out what kind of amp you have. Trust us, it IS important.