#1
The other day I was at my friend's house, and another friend asked me to unplug the cable from the amp so we could get a longer one plugged in. I was holding my bass by the neck (touching the strings) with my left hand, and went to unplug it with my right hand. I then got shocked when I touched the wire (and almost became petrified of the amp, until I remembered I was the only one there who knew how to operate a tube amp). So, did touching the bass strings complete the circuit? I just don't want to get shocked again.

In case anyone asks, it was a vintage Fender Twin Reverb.
#2
It might have a grounding problem.

Is the plug 3 prong or 2?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
#6
Quote by Alex Vik
No, I was holding my bass while plugging in my guitarist's guitar. I'm not stupid


Oh
#7
the third prong is used to ground it, since it doesn't have one you completed the circuit
.
.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

.
.
#8
Quote by kingbabyduck
the third prong is used to ground it, since it doesn't have one you completed the circuit

Yeah, this is what happened.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
#10
Quote by Rhoads_1096
How did the vintage TR sound?
The guy above is right.

It sounded amazing. I was told that the reverb on it doesn't work, but the regular cleans sounded great. I'll have to get clips next time I'm over there.

And I guess I won't be holding a guitar next time I unplug the cable then.
#11
Reverb tank is an easy fix. Do it NAO!!!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
#12
You can get it modded to have 3 prongs. It doesn't affect sound, is safer, and should be a cheap enough job. Call a tech in your area and see if he/she will do it.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
#13
Quote by kingbabyduck
the third prong is used to ground it, since it doesn't have one you completed the circuit

Yes and no.

Normally it grounds out through the neutral in a 2-prong but he probably plugged it in backwards, which made the strings live.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
#15
If you go into the columns there is an article on this (this article might save your life) (yeah lousy title) There is definitely an earthing fault and it could be dangerous although it could well be the house wiring. There are a few simple things you can do to avoid this happening to you.
#16
this happened to me the other day too! but my amp is 3 prongs....weird
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando


Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
#17
Quote by Phil Starr
If you go into the columns there is an article on this (this article might save your life) (yeah lousy title) There is definitely an earthing fault and it could be dangerous although it could well be the house wiring. There are a few simple things you can do to avoid this happening to you.

It will only kill you if you're soaking wet, really.

Even 208V household isn't a big deal to dry skin.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
#18
Actually it is more complicated than this. It depends upon what you are earthed to,which parts of your body are touching and specifics about your heart and nervous system. Sweat conducts better than tap water. The point is that it is dangerous and an unnecessary risk. Death is rare but musicians are killed by their gear and more will be in the future.

Why would anyone give the advice that it is ok to get shocked?