So yeah, call me old school,
But I like the Analog sound.

Does anyone know any sites where I could find a 4 track tape recorder?
or maybe even a 16 track tape recorder?

Analog just has that certain feel to me.

Nothing in my local craigslist

Ebay is overpriced.
Being a god damn Limey, I don't know about the USA.

In the UK and Europe, studiospares.co.uk and Thomann.de are quite big.
Yeah, you can pay a fortune. I'd recommend sticking with a computer-based DAW system for recording and committing to tape frequently to add analog saturation.
Quote by BlackVortex

Ebay is overpriced.

Not to be a knob, but how much do you know about recording? Do you actually prefer the analogue sound, or do you just say it because it's 'cooler'? Could you tell the difference?

I'm not accusing you, just asking.
There is poetry in despair.
Thinking about it, one inexpensive solution would be to use a DAW, but try and find an inexpensive analog pre-amp.

http://www.studiospares.com/Microphone-Preamps/Studiospares-Mono-Valve-Mic-Preamp/invt/348000

http://www.studiospares.com/Microphone-Preamps/Samson-C-Valve/invt/368930

You'd need one for every track on your interface, but it wouldn't be so bad!

You could get something better, like this, but the price would start to be a factor.

http://www.studiospares.com/Microphone-Preamps/TL-Audio-5001-4Channel-Valve-Preamp/invt/360160

TLA do lovely analogue hardware though, I had the pleasure of using one of their 16-track mixing desks. Sadly, it would cost at least £1500 to own one.
Heh you want that real REAL? analoge sound, get ready cause your about to drop a about 5,000 on a converter, and then you know maybe another 20k for a neve or an api bored. hahahaaa or an ssl. then we also have outboard compressors. etc.

****ty equipment sounds ever ****tier in analogue.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
... 20k for a neve or an api bored. hahahaaa or an ssl. then we also have outboard compressors. etc. ...

(quivers from the evil gearlust laugh)
Quote by BlackVortex

Ebay is overpriced.

I know where your coming from, analogue at it's absolute best is much better than digital. But analogue is only at it's best 0.00001% of the time. It's VERY hard to get it to that stage and more to the point, keep it that way. Near impossible.

The other thing to think about is, how are people listening to music these days? How many people have a vinyl set up that actually warrants the time and effort (and money!) that you will go to get that sound?

To make it worthwhile, you need listeners dropping £1000 on a cartridge, let alone the rest of the system.

In reality, people will be listening on iPod's, usually with the stock headphones too! Even people with a top end digital set up (CD), you still loose the point of analogue anything, because you no longer have "infinate" amounts of information (the whole point of an analogue rig).

The cassette tape recorders of old are long gone, as they were terrible. You won't find any new.

Reel to reels are all going to be second hand too, as far as I'm aware.

At the end of the day, there's no point going analogue. Your going to have to shell out thousands upon thousands to get it right, to please what I guess to be about 1 person. Yourself.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Last edited by willieturnip at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by fridge_raider
Not to be a knob, but how much do you know about recording? Do you actually prefer the analogue sound, or do you just say it because it's 'cooler'? Could you tell the difference?

I'm not accusing you, just asking.

I know little...
I just Know what I like.

Digital stuff like Tone ports and what not
all seem too clean,
and the distorted stuff is like ughhh...
horrible.

bleh...

I managed to get a Tascam for 25$
and I recorded a small sample,
It's aptly named Tascam...

I like the sound.

^^lll
You obviously don't know what you like, because you clearly have no idea of what can be achieved with digital equipment.
There is poetry in despair.