Ok,I have a problem.
The neck pick-up on my epiphone Tony Iommi is crapping out on me.
The pick-up will pop,hiss and fizz randomly.I believe it's the pots,as the neck tone pot has gone permanently scratchy,and the other pots are just in a bad way.I fairly sure it's not the pick-ups as they are Gibson pick-ups where as the pots are just cheap shoddy things.I do plan on doing a complete re-wire,shielding and proper grounding included,Jimmy Page style.But for the moment,I don't have the money.My soldering iron has crapped out on me as well,and I owe my parents some money for amp,so it'll be a while before I can fix this problem,but has anyone got an idea of a quick fix,once I get a soldering iron?
(and believe me,I want this soldering iron.I have a bass,3 guitars and two leads awaiting it's leaden solder touch).
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Ok,I have a problem.
The neck pick-up on my epiphone Tony Iommi is crapping out on me.
The pick-up will pop,hiss and fizz randomly.I believe it's the pots,as the neck tone pot has gone permanently scratchy,and the other pots are just in a bad way.I fairly sure it's not the pick-ups as they are Gibson pick-ups where as the pots are just cheap shoddy things.I do plan on doing a complete re-wire,shielding and proper grounding included,Jimmy Page style.But for the moment,I don't have the money.My soldering iron has crapped out on me as well,and I owe my parents some money for amp,so it'll be a while before I can fix this problem,but has anyone got an idea of a quick fix,once I get a soldering iron?
(and believe me,I want this soldering iron.I have a bass,3 guitars and two leads awaiting it's leaden solder touch).
I'd be more likely to believe it's the pickup selector. They have a terrible history of early failure. The leaves weaken with age and contact becomes poor.

In either case, the temporary fix is the same. Get a can of contact/potentiometer cleaner and give it a spray. On the selector contacts, remove the cavity cover to see the contacts as you operate the switch. Spray just a bit on the contacts when they're open and run the switch back and forth several times. for the pots, use the "straw" and spray some in the gap between the cover and the element. Rotate the pot several times. Helps delay the inevitable.

Replace all the parts when you have the ability to do so: pots, selector, output jack. Use high quality parts, like Switchcraft for the selector and output jack. Use CTS or Alpha for the pots. It's worth a few buck to make your guitar trouble-free.

good luck.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.