Page 1 of 2
Ok firstly I just say this isnt a loaded question, Im genuinely interested in maybe taking up bass.

But I look at it and I think, doesnt that get boring, like I love the sound of bass, but the playing looks kinda repetitive. And then you get guys who look like their trying to play a guitar with a bass, and I think, why not just free yourself and take up playing guitar.

Probably anyone who plays guitar and bass is likely to have some good thoughts on this.

But bass definitely can sound bad ass.
No, because there's an infinite number of things you can do on a bass.

What bassist plays their bass like a guitar?
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Nope, I love it. And so what if people "play bass like a guitar?" It's still playing bass, you're just doing something different on it.

Sure, playing guitar is fun too. I love dabbling around on my acoustic. But if I'm looking for a different timbre, and a bit of power, I'll play the same song on bass, adapting it a bit to make it playable. I prefer playing Classical Gas on bass than guitar, for example. It's a lot more of a technique minefield.
I'm fairly new and yet I swear I've seen this topic tonnes and tonnes of times.

Bass isn't boring.
I played my 6 string guitar for two years and a half years then I started to get less interested in it, I picked up a bass at my guitar teachers house and bought a squire standard jazz bass and have been playing it non-stop for the past 8 months. I became bored with the guitar since i only really wanted to learn how to play reggae/ska chords and a dozen simple songs. I highly recommend borrowing a bass from a friend to see how you go with it.

for people with a short attention span: No, they're fun.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...
its not repetitive if you know what to do with it. but to learn, you first need to pick it up.
it's true, sometimes i miss playing a guitar, cause i can distort it, bend and others, but there a re truly nice things you can groove on a bass.

PS i dont like the distorted bass sound
bass does not get boring, i play both guitar and bass and while guitar is fun for certain things i find the bass to be far more expressive (imo), this isnt to say other people will or should, as it is all down to preference. but take players like Jaco Pastorius or Victor Wooten, they are beautiful players that are just as good as your steve vais.
also you can do pretty much the same techniques on bass that you can on a guitar
Last edited by Epiphone'sRock at Jul 14, 2009,
its that kinda bass to me that sounds like someone over complicating what bass is about, to me. sounds like they want to be playing guitar.

i like that really heavy doof doof kinda bass sound, simple but gut smashing bass. anyone got some traditional bass links that might inspire me?
bass is fun. try it...

nothing boring and repetitive about jaco pastorius, victor wooten, les claypool, marcus miller, gary willis... etc.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Man is it boring, just sitting there playing notes, WTH notes WTF. I should have taken up a real mans instrument like clarinet or something. Bloody boring bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by higgins666
IMO if it's boring to do, you're doing it wrong

+10000

THIS.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by fiztech
its that kinda bass to me that sounds like someone over complicating what bass is about, to me. sounds like they want to be playing guitar.

i like that really heavy doof doof kinda bass sound, simple but gut smashing bass. anyone got some traditional bass links that might inspire me?

The instrument has a much different timbre though, and if I saw a guitarist doing something like that, I'd be very shocked.

By traditional, do you mean endless 8th notes?
Quote by fiztech

Then that raises the question- what is bass all about?

As far as I'm concerned, any musical instrument is about expression. If you play an instrument and enjoying it, you're doing it right, no matter what you're doing on it.
If your playing a song like Reptillia by the strokes, where it's just root notes the entire song, ya, it could be boring. Thats just the first song that popped in my head.

But, if your playing something with slap, maybe a bit faster, then it's a lot of fun. It's only boring if what your choosing to play is just like simple root notes 1000 times.

I tried out for some band and when they gave me the tab's for one of there songs I walked out lol. It was just the open g string like 100 times and then some basic fill. Boring stuff.

Depends on what you like. It's only as boring as you make it
well to me bass is about holding it tight, leaving room for the guitar, but to me bass also should sound freakin heavy, not high pitched guitar style solos. that just doesnt float it for me, it sounds pretty ordinary imo. each to their own though. i understand the timbre thing, just to me guitar style scale travelling doesnt sound good to my ears. it obviouslly does for some.

i would say i really like how flea plays, but everyone does. but maybe something heavier and harder. ? ?
if i really think about it, the style and sound i think i would like is geezer butler style heavy travelling bass lines. specifically the nib intro.
Last edited by fiztech at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by Regression
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47JUOoznK7o

Is this the sort of style you mean TS?

Regardless, it sounds like you know what you like. If you're interested in playing that, then go ahead.

hole in one. pretty much.

funny thing is, until recently i never really paid much attention to bass in music. now i hear it in every track. even noel redding in jhe haha.

im also liking kravitz, gonna go my way bass, but played really punch and it would sound wicked.

maybe i need to just get my hands on a bass and explore it for myself
Last edited by fiztech at Jul 14, 2009,
Right, well wheter you want to play bass is completely your choice.

It's not an instrument for the egotistical, but it's definately fun to play. If you're mainly into rhythm, then bass is probably better suited for you than guitar.
Quote by Regression
If you're mainly into rhythm, then bass is probably better suited for you than guitar.

im more a rhythm person than anything else, even though im a hopeless strummer. i find myself tapping at my desk all day, not thinking about melody.
I find that yes, I do get bored of bass at times, so I play another instrument. Eventually I want to play bass again though.

And fisstech... isn't that a drug in a game? Can't remember which game though...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by CrackerJack465
If your playing a song like Reptillia by the strokes, where it's just root notes the entire song, ya, it could be boring. Thats just the first song that popped in my head.

Speaking from experience, I enjoy playing Reptilia just as much as anything else. I mean obviously you're not doing anything complex, but it suits the song perfectly so making it more complex is well, selfish. If I'm playing pure root notes and it fits in perfectly, I can put the playing into my subconscious and just enjoy the sound of the song.
If the musical situation calls for super fast scale runs, I can do that too, but for me no aspect of playing bass is ever boring as long as you're playing good music.

As a side note, Fiddly guitar solos are musical masturbation.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by Nutter_101
And fisstech... isn't that a drug in a game? Can't remember which game though...

yah, but nah. i know the one u mean.

thanks all. i think i could find use for bass in my journey. i think i actually like the simple nature of it. maybe thats whats appealing to me. but also that with those simple progressions i could hit f'n hard with earth crushing power and teeth shattering quakes from my bass.
"I'm bored
I'm the chairman of the bored,
I'm a lengthy monologue
I'm livin' like a dog
I'm bored
I bore myself to sleep at night
I bore myself in broad daylight coz
I'm bored"

Sorry anytime someone in my house says they're bored, we break out and sing Iggy Pop.

Back on topic. I'm like Chris, if I end up hitting a wall with bass, I play drums or guitar or mandolin. But I can say I'm never bored. One of the things that still sends chills up my spine is when I play with a band and everything just locks right and the song is perfect. That is never, ever boring. Boring is a state for the unimaginative, even in bass.
Quote by anarkee
"I'm bored
I'm the chairman of the bored,
I'm a lengthy monologue
I'm livin' like a dog
I'm bored
I bore myself to sleep at night
I bore myself in broad daylight coz
I'm bored"

Sorry anytime someone in my house says they're bored, we break out and sing Iggy Pop.

Back on topic. I'm like Chris, if I end up hitting a wall with bass, I play drums or guitar or mandolin. But I can say I'm never bored. One of the things that still sends chills up my spine is when I play with a band and everything just locks right and the song is perfect. That is never, ever boring. Boring is a state for the unimaginative, even in bass.

just like my house. i think the 2nd line is "board" and not "bored" though but what would i know... i've never even heard that song properly!

I don't get bored with bass, in fact i find it difficult to put my bass down on the occasions where i play it - i should play it more though. really i should.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i'm planning on getting a bass because i borrowed one from a friend of mine, and since then, i haven't looked at my electric the same. Lol.
I miss that bass.

it's just preference and how you CHOOSE to play.

+1 to CrackerJack465
Quote by higgins666
IMO if it's boring to do, you're doing it wrong

This.

Serious question: Why do you play the bass? As someone else also pointed out, the bass is an instrument of expression, you have to FEEL to play the bass. If one is just plunking root notes without putting in some nice improv licks, hell I'd get bored too. I also don't look at as "Bass" as well, I look at it as something when I'm tired or pissed from the day I can play it and feel whole again, it's like a woman without all the troubles.

The reason I chose bass is because when I was a kid I loved the sound of loud car stereos bumping or standing near a 18 wheeler engine starting/revving up, I figured I could replicate that sound and make it my own. I feel like a god when I have all that low end power in my hands, and no guitarist can overpower my power you feel punching in you in the chest and playing with your guts.

I hate to say it man but it has to be said, if you find the bass boring, you are a boring person.
Quote by wouldyakindly
Speaking from experience, I enjoy playing Reptilia just as much as anything else. I mean obviously you're not doing anything complex, but it suits the song perfectly so making it more complex is well, selfish. If I'm playing pure root notes and it fits in perfectly, I can put the playing into my subconscious and just enjoy the sound of the song.
If the musical situation calls for super fast scale runs, I can do that too, but for me no aspect of playing bass is ever boring as long as you're playing good music.

As a side note, Fiddly guitar solos are musical masturbation.

I actually enjoy it too. Im just saying, its a song that if you played every song like that, you prob would get bored eventually.

Im not attacking the song, im just using it as an example in this instance. If you were in a band and you had to play every song with root notes, wouldn't you get bored?
Quote by CrackerJack465
I actually enjoy it too. Im just saying, its a song that if you played every song like that, you prob would get bored eventually.

Im not attacking the song, im just using it as an example in this instance. If you were in a band and you had to play every song with root notes, wouldn't you get bored?

Some people enjoy just playing roots and being the backbone, let them be.

Everynow and then I run out of ideas of what to play and I just play the piano.
IMO if you're in a band with creative people then boredom shall never arise, though if you're just at it yea it alone it can get boring...but that's mainly for me cus I've gotten to the point where I hate learning/working on techniques but that's really what causes my boredom, if you don't mind sitting down and trying to master techniques then yea you'll always have fun and most of the time if I get bored I play sax because truly mastering technique on it is a bitch. And in the end I love playing bass even if i'm not in a band but I can get stuck in ruts if I'm not careful
Last edited by thunderbritches at Jul 14, 2009,
bass is a rhythm instrument, I think this is where the real appeal arrises. I mean, a bongo or conga player only has 2 things he/she can hit, how many bored, un-pumped bongo players have you seen?
Quote by jimRH7
bass is a rhythm instrument, I think this is where the real appeal arrises. I mean, a bongo or conga player only has 2 things he/she can hit, how many bored, un-pumped bongo players have you seen?

you can make a **** load of sounds with bongos and congas. plus those are just badass. i get your point, though.
Nope.

When you play any instrument, your bound to get parts that on their own arent very interesting. But half of being a musician is listening to what the interesting part is, and figuring out how to get your part to make that part sound even more interesting.

My old brass quintet coach explained it to me like this.

"When your playing in a group, your either the soloist or the accompanist. When your the soloist, your trying to make your solo sound like a million bucks. When your the accompanist, your trying to make the soloist sound like a million bucks
If you keep exploring new parts of music, you'll never get bored.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

compliment from fellow UGer
Quote by tubatom868686
Nope.

When you play any instrument, your bound to get parts that on their own arent very interesting. But half of being a musician is listening to what the interesting part is, and figuring out how to get your part to make that part sound even more interesting.

My old brass quintet coach explained it to me like this.

"When your playing in a group, your either the soloist or the accompanist. When your the soloist, your trying to make your solo sound like a million bucks. When your the accompanist, your trying to make the soloist sound like a million bucks

yes... this...

there are things about playing guitar that i find incredibly boring. but i still love playing the guitar. and the things that i find boring are necessary--to me at least.
Bass by itself can be boring at times. When I'm by myself playing a cover I pretty much have to put the original song on or its kind of lame.

But since I'm literally the only bassist in town I am in 2 bands and another band wants me to join. That fact right there makes up for any amount of boredom you can get (like during the guitar solo of stranglehold...god that section is boring). Group jam sessions are the reason I bought a bass and thats what you get when you're a bass player.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
Page 1 of 2