Page 1 of 2
I'd like to start some interlectual debates on the pit. I know there is alot of rubbish around on here, so a thread where the smart population of UG can have a good old debate would be nice.

So to the question. Someone said something to me today which made me think of this question. It was about whether Jesus has superpowers. He healed people and brought them back from the dead supposidly, so why couldn't he be a doctor?

Or do you see it from the other argument? That Jesus used the power of god. It's an interesting argument and i'd like to hear your views UG.

if jesus were a legend of Zelda character you would probably be able to turn into him in Majora's Mask.

talk about feirce deity mask
Yes, there is a religion thread you know. And I don't know about doctor, but he seems to have been a pretty good chef, what with 5000 people fed. Good escape artist too.
You know what I mean. That people have been revived when their heart stops etc, which in reality, is bringing someone back from the dead.

And he apparently healed people through his touch. Where's the evidence for or against him using natural remedies?
How do we know jesus wasn't just a smart magician/con artist, who had people working for him pretending to be healed?
Quote by Hybrid_Xer0
How do we know jesus wasn't just a smart magician/con artist, who had people working for him pretending to be healed?

how do we know our parents aren't raising us to become food for the next generation of space tapeworms?
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
You know what I mean. That people have been revived when their heart stops etc, which in reality, is bringing someone back from the dead.

And he apparently healed people through his touch. Where's the evidence for or against him using natural remedies?

You're assuming that all of the biblical stories concerning Jesus' "miracles" are accurate. Might the Apostles have simply "spread word" of his deeds - deeds that may have been exaggerated, or fabricated entirely - to gain him a reputation before he came around a town to preach? Who's to say Jesus didn't just have a very good PR team?
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by webbtje
Yes, there is a religion thread you know. And I don't know about doctor, but he seems to have been a pretty good chef, what with 5000 people fed. Good escape artist too.

I know there is, i've been here long enough, I just wantedd to start a new debate every week. I have a few topic ideas.
There is very little evidence outside of the bible that suggests that Jesus even existed in the first place. There is only one account that is considered reliable, and it barely mentions him and doesn't call him Jesus.
The only non biblical account of Jesus's existence is a mention of a figure called "Christus" by the Roman Historian Tacitus. That's it.

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians [or Chrestians; see below] by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular"

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0077:book=15:chapter=44
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Possible, doesn't explain how the Bible says that he walks on water.

Quote by The_Casinator
Who can tell? It happend like 2000 years ago.

this. you'll just have to decide for yourself -
belief is every person's own decision and religion is a farce

peace
Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
Last edited by Nite` at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
how do we know our parents aren't raising us to become food for the next generation of space tapeworms?

How do we know that corey has a monster? or that monsters OR corey even exists?
Quote by Hybrid_Xer0
How do we know that corey has a monster? or that monsters OR corey even exists?

the monster is a lie
Quote by CoreysMonster
the monster is a lie

no the cake is a lie
Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
Quote by CoreysMonster
the monster is a lie

Proof please.
Don't make an argument without sources. Your opinion is worthless.
Quote by Nite`
no the cake is a lie

The lie is a cake. WELEASE WODEWICK

Quote by NielsWho
Possible, doesn't explain how the Bible says that he walks on water.

I heard that's a result of a mistranslation - it originally said he walked by the water.
inb4Babbath comes in here and steamrolls everybody.

No, he was probably just a man. Fighting other men...for land, for land.

EDIT: ^^^ Weird - I think I actually get some of that
Last edited by LordBishek at Jul 14, 2009,
He quite clearly had a time machine and used it to go forward to find cures for all these illnesses, there really is no other plausible solution. And don't any of you dare insult my faith in Time machine Jesus.
I'd say Jesus was a good guy who did good things, and was a prime example of how all humans should treat each other by. However, I do not believe that he had ANY relation with God (who, unlike Jesus, I do not believe ever has existed), and I don't believe he cured blindness, resurrected people, walked on water, etc.
Quote by webbtje
The lie is a cake. WELEASE WODEWICK

I heard that's a result of a mistranslation - it originally said he walked by the water.

Seems plausible, but source?

Quote by NielsWho
Seems plausible, but source?
Yeah I heard the same thing too, I'm not sure where I could find a source though. It was on TV once, they did a bunch of Biblical stories that proved to be plausible, after re-translating some of the stuff in the Bible. For example, it is proven that in the story of Moses, he did not cross the Red Sea, but rather the lesser Reed Sea, which has enormous tides. Judging by this, Moses and the Jews could have just walked on the bottom, and before the Egyptians could catch up to them on the other side, the tide came in and they were drowned.
He was obviously an alien with superior healing powers. Mary was actually abducted by aliens and impregnated by them. That also explains how he was brought back to life.

Mind = Blown
Quote by LordBishek
inb4Babbath comes in here and steamrolls everybody

This

Jesus was clearly an agent of the invisible pink unicorn in association with the flying spaghetti monster to spread the good word of scientology but his message was corrupted by genocidal, baby-eating, corrupt, lieing atheists
*Patiently waits hoping Slacker will come in before the mods close this*
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Nietsche
This

Jesus was clearly an agent of the invisible pink unicorn in association with the flying spaghetti monster to spread the good word of scientology but his message was corrupted by genocidal, baby-eating, corrupt, lieing atheists

LIEK ME
Quote by Nite`
no the cake is a lie

The cake is a pie!
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
There is very little evidence outside of the bible that suggests that Jesus even existed in the first place. There is only one account that is considered reliable, and it barely mentions him and doesn't call him Jesus.
The only non biblical account of Jesus's existence is a mention of a figure called "Christus" by the Roman Historian Tacitus. That's it.

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians [or Chrestians; see below] by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular"

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0077:book=15:chapter=44

hmmm....

i want to have sex with you.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Yeah, no.

The Vatican has numerous records in their library that confirm the existence of Jesus. More than one census records him, as well as Mary and Joseph, and they also confirm Joseph's relation to King David.
Quote by Grindar
Yeah, no.

The Vatican has numerous records in their library that confirm the existence of Jesus. More than one census records him, as well as Mary and Joseph, and they also confirm Joseph's relation to King David.

And it sure wouldn't be in their advantage to lie about them, would it...

Go on then, what records. What unbiased, objective records does the Vatican have of these things. Post a bit of them if they exist.
right, I think the bible is basically evidence of how badly the telephone game can be blown out of proportion.

Jesus, the person, probably was a doctor who knew some **** about how to help people. Was probably a pretty good person too. People who were 'blind' might have just been dizzy, knocked out, etc. Reviving the dead...meh that's hard. But imagine this

x says to y "Yo, dude. This doctor, jesus. He's so good at his ****, he could probably bring back dead people to life!"
y says to z "DUDE, this guy told me JESUS can REVIVE people!"

Right, OR...there were just a group of super power hungry people who wanted to be in charge of rome and therefore exaggerated the deeds of a good man to ridiculous extents.

Based on my logicical and unknowledgable view of Christianity
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by Grindar
Yeah, no.

I thought Kent Hovind was in jail?
Nevertheless you need to give evidence from an unbiased source. The Vatican have a vested interest in proving the existence of jesus
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by Grindar
Yeah, no.

?
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
Page 1 of 2