I need a good 30-50 watt tube head for ~$800 to pair with a GNX4 and a 2x12 cab.......why am I having a hard time finding this???
do you really need a head and cab? if you can go with a combo, then there is a Randall RM50 combo with the blackface and 1086 modules on ebay of $700. retail price for that setup is $1400. i am getting the 212 version (RM80) today, and i have both of those modules (except the 1086 is mod'd). so i can tell you how good it sounds (RM80 is the same as the RM50 except it has one more speaker).

The best thing about this amp is that you can put 6V6's to get about 20W, 6L6's for 50W, or 6550's for 80W (these are all power tubes if you don't already know). All you have to do is bias them correctly and your done. You don't even have to take it to a tech so they can take your money and fix it; you can do it all yourself.

good luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
I think the Hayden MoFo would fit the bill if you can get one sent over or find a local dealer.
I've heard it likened to a Blackstar HT-5 in tone but with 30w of power and a dual gain boost so it should handle a very wide range from nice cleans to outrageous distortion. If I remember right it also has a power limiter for practice and it sells in UK for a bit over £400.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

^...what does that have to do with anything? (to JKM)

To stay on topic, what style/genre of music do you play? Do you need cleans?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by theacousticpunk
^...what does that have to do with anything? (to JKM)

To stay on topic, what style/genre of music do you play? Do you need cleans?

what does that have to do with anything? i was suggesting an amp.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Thanks guys. Combo wont work.....I have a combo here and have been testing out combos and just dont like them.....want a seperate head/cab.

I need a very good clean channel I assume to pair with the GNX4.

A wide variety of music will be played with this (blues, rock, jazz and just a bit of metal).
Quote by toe2323
Thanks guys. Combo wont work.....I have a combo here and have been testing out combos and just dont like them.....want a seperate head/cab.

I need a very good clean channel I assume to pair with the GNX4.

A wide variety of music will be played with this (blues, rock, jazz and just a bit of metal).

well you can look for the head version of the RM50 on ebay, CL, or the Randall MTS forum. You might be able to get a good deal on it. If you want a great clean channel, then get the Blackface module; it is based off of the circuitry of the Fender Blackface Twin.

for a hi gain module, look here to decide:

http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

MTS Forum: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php

Look under the classifieds; you may find a great deal on a head and some modules, and most everyone on there is reliable.

EDIT: on ebay there are a few nice RM100 heads for under $800. they're 100W and they are auctions, but you might want to look into them.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 14, 2009,
Honestly if I were you I'd just sell the GNX or use only its' effects because with 800 dollars you can easily buy a tube amp that has better sounding distortion than what's built in to a multi-effects pedal.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by fly135
Why are you looking for a tube head? All you need is a clean power amp.

Seems like the SS amps I have tried such as the Vypyr 75 just dont have the punch/volume of the tube combos I have tried and the SS just seem to sound worse the louder you play them......am I off here?
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
Honestly if I were you I'd just sell the GNX or use only its' effects because with 800 dollars you can easily buy a tube amp that has better sounding distortion than what's built in to a multi-effects pedal.

I dont even own the GNX4 yet......I was planning on buying one used from a friend....I have a Spider valve 112 right now and I figured the GNX4 paired with a good tube amp and a good 2x12 would be better than this SV....no?
The Vypyr is a modeling amp. That's the worst thing you can plug a multifx into. You should be looking into a power amp with PA speakers. Even a keyboard amp will work.

You can plug the GNX into a guitar amp. I use a Fender Pro Jr with mine. But a PA is better especially if you intend to use the ability to play backing tracks on the GNX.