This post isn't to influence a purchase, moreso to satisfy curiosity... would a digital pedal such as the BOSS Metal Core or Metal Zone going into a tube amp (like, a Tiny Terror or something) sound better than a modelling amp (ie Line 6 Vetta, Spider, Peavey Vypyr) in your opinion? Would it be much different?
the metal core and metal zone aren't good pedals really, especially not for overdriving tubes. A good drive pedal into a tube amp will sound significantly better than a modeller though
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
As far as I know, they aren't 'digital' pedals. But yes, it would likely sound a great deal better. The Boss DS-1 distortion gets a lot of flak, but run it into a cranked Plexi and you can get some amazing hard rock tones.
the majority of guitar players on UG will tell you the tube-driven Tiny Terror will sound legions better than any modeler.

it's just the way your guitar hits the tubes, vs. a modified signal.

of course, it is all purely preference.
GTFO my sig
Why would you spend money on a Tiny Terror and then not be able to afford a decent pedal?

Just throwing that out there.

If you couldn't tell, im not a fan of Boss overdrive/distortion pedals. or any digital one for that matter.
Last edited by Souls United at Jul 14, 2009,
I hear good things about the Vetta, but the spider is absolutely horrible. I'm not a big fan of modelling amps, not since the spider.

As far as putting a distortion pedal like the Boss metal core in front of a tube amp, if you have a good tube amp, you won't need a pedal like that. The most you would ever need is maybe an OD pedal.

All in all, i would choose a tube amp over a modelling amp. I think that modelling SS amps are too complex and sacrifice tone for a plethora of features. Tube amps are a little bit simpler and often sound better. In other words, modellers try to pack too much into one unit, which in the end sacrifices a lot of tone (unless it is extremely well built). A tube amp isn't packing too much into one; the most it ever has is a reverb tank. a tube amp, imo, will provide better tone than a SS modeller.

Now i am no expert, but this is how i see it. Tube amps have been around for a long time, and aren't going any where. Solid State amps like the Vetta are getting more accurate. I think that both tube amps and SS modelling amps both have their place, it is all about personal preference. I will use both tube amps and SS amps, as long as they are well built and sound good to me.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
I think a few of you missed what I was trying to ascertain.

Would one of the BOSS pedals (and I used the lower quality ones specifically) be less/the same/more digital sounding through a tube amp than a modeller would on its own? Speaking entirely theoretically, disregarding costs/other options/etc.
Quote by slickerthnsleek

Would one of the BOSS pedals (and I used the lower quality ones specifically) be less/the same/more digital sounding through a tube amp than a modeller would on its own? Speaking entirely theoretically, disregarding costs/other options/etc.

There's no answer, one might sound better to you, and another person might have a different opinion.
What's with everyone trying to quantify tone recently?
Quote by slickerthnsleek

In this case, then, I bet the modeller would sound better.

It would be a crime to trash the sound of a decent tube amp with crum pedals, though.

Modellers are ok, I suppose, if you need to dial in a specific tone, for a cover or something, and it will get you 90% there.

The amp will sound amazing just crunching out on it's own, or maybe with a little clean boost or a good drive.

It has a volume knob.

Turn it clockwise until it wont go any more.

BTW, those pedals are most certainly analog, not digital.
It would sound nowhere near as good as a Vetta.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
In my opinion, yes.. since I have tried both.

My buddy has a metal zone.. awful pedal.. one of the worst sounds I've ever heard.. but his amp plays a huge part in that even if he runs it on the clean channel.

I played it on the clean channel of my amp which is a tube and it didn't sound so bad.. nowhere near as good as the amp's distortion but acceptable..
I find a way to make it even better is combine it with an OD pedal.
Play on the clean, kick in the OD and then kick in the Distortion.. it gets it more of that tubey-natural distortion that was made on your amp- sound.. which I'd take over a digital effects moduler any day.