Right, I've found myself a 100W JCM 900 2101 for £300 and I just need to know a few things.

Will I be able to use this at bedroom volumes? I imagine I might need to build an attenuator for it but with one will it be okay?

Anyone have any experiences / knowledge about this model?

Quick please, need to get in touch with the shop ASAP
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

This is not acceptable for bedroom volumes. No matter what you do. It will work, and work well, but not nearly as well as if you cranked it. I'd say if your primary use will be bedroom, then you are barking up the wrong tree.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
This is not acceptable for bedroom volumes. No matter what you do. It will work, and work well, but not nearly as well as if you cranked it. I'd say if your primary use will be bedroom, then you are barking up the wrong tree.

+1
It's not my primary use, I'd just prefer to be able to use a nice amp to practice too but I will just have to keep my MG15 I suppose. Cheers guys
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

if you're gonna be gigging with it, yes. just bedroom, hell no. however, there are plenty of other amps in that price range that'd be excellent for bedroom use. give us the usual: budget, new/used, styles, desired features, etc.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
it will sound fine at bedroom volumes. better than your MG15. But it will sound leagues better played louder.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Well, it'd only be really for bedroom use when I'm not gigging or using it at band practice. Using an OD pedal with it at lower volumes.

Budget: £450 if it's a head £600 ish if it's a combo
Willing to go new & used
Styles: Hard Rock & Punk. Think Blue Oyster Cult, GN'R, Metallica, Greenday & The Offspring
Desired Features: It works.. an effects loop would be nice but not essential. Must take pedals well though.
Everything it'll be paired with is in my sig.

I just thought that £300 was a damn good price for a JCM 900, isn't it?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Well.. I guess it depends on what can go on in your bedroom.
Like for myself, I crank my amps in mine.. but then again.. I don't have parents that are going to get on to me about it.. I have a studio and P.A. setup and crap.. but you might have parents that'll nag you for it or something..

I'd say go for it because even if you play in your bedroom most of the time, the times you get to crank it will be worth it.. and if it's mainly due to your parents not wanting it loud.. then you'll get to crank it whenever they leave the house so it shouldn't be a waste.
Quote by SimplyBen
Well, it'd only be really for bedroom use when I'm not gigging or using it at band practice. Using an OD pedal with it at lower volumes.

Budget: £450 if it's a head £600 ish if it's a combo
Willing to go new & used
Styles: Hard Rock & Punk. Think Blue Oyster Cult, GN'R, Metallica, Greenday & The Offspring
Desired Features: It works.. an effects loop would be nice but not essential. Must take pedals well though.
Everything it'll be paired with is in my sig.

I just thought that £300 was a damn good price for a JCM 900, isn't it?

Since you gig, buy it!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I think I shall!

It's just been serviced as well and I get to try it for 48 hours to see if I like it and if not I can take it back. I'm in by myself most of the time at the moment so I'll get it in and crank it a bit see what this bastard can do

Is there any danger of broken glass or anything when cranking an amp? This is gunna be much louder than anything I've ever tried so I have no idea what will happen.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Awesome man. Good choice =) at least if you like it =P
And nope, no dangers of broken glass or anything.. it won't have to blow your head off to sound really good.. but still will be a good deal loud..
Now I just need to get to pick it up.. I think I'll take the train and a couple of taxis, might even be able to get it tomorrow
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Have an architect come inspect your house before turning it past 4...

Quote by SimplyBen
Now I just need to get to pick it up.. I think I'll take the train and a couple of taxis, might even be able to get it tomorrow

How far do you have to go?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by SimplyBen
Is there any danger of broken glass or anything when cranking an amp? This is gunna be much louder than anything I've ever tried so I have no idea what will happen.

I'd be more worried about breaking my ears. Get some ear plugs or even construction headphones if you're going to be putting it up loud enough to break glass.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
I've got to go to about 20 miles or so. But I'm having trouble lifting stuff at the moment since I'm just recovering from tendinitis so I'll have to get a taxi from the station and back and then a taxi from my station to my house. If that makes sense

Oh well, I'm too tired for logical thought now.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

when you do get it: pics or its an mg
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
for 300 buy it. and then sell it if you dont want it
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by AC/DC4EVA
when you do get it: pics or its an mg

Keep an eye out for an epic NAD, I have something very nice planned for you lovely people in GG&A
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

For most of the genres the 900 excels in, you don't really need power tube distortion (IMO) so playing it at bedroom volumes wouldn't be as terrible a difference as, say, an old Traynor YBA-1 or my 800 head.

Something to think about.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well I was thinking, is there a way I could run say two of the DIY attenuators that I think I posted earlier, and by using them together turn the amp down more or would that just completley suck the tone out of it?

Well I think running it at bedroom volumes wouldn't be too bad really I mean, it'll be an improvement on what I'm used to and thats what I'm looking for really.
It would just tone suck unless you reamped it.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Whats reamping mean?

From what I think it means would I have to boost the signal to lower the volume again?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
Whats reamping mean?

From what I think it means would I have to boost the signal to lower the volume again?

You use an attenuator to lower the signal to line level (same as a guitar output signal, basically) and then run that into a separate power amp to drive the cab.

You get all the tone you would have had at high volumes, but now you can just dial in whatever volume you want because of the second power amp.

Ahh that'd be cool but then I have to shell out for a power amp
I think I'll just go with getting the tone I want using pedals much easier for the bedroom and I have a decent enough range of pedals to get what I want out of it.

I'm going for this tomorrow so keep an eye out for my NAD guys!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
I think I'll just go with getting the tone I want using pedals much easier for the bedroom and I have a decent enough range of pedals to get what I want out of it.

A Crate PowerBlock solid state (you're using it for power, not for tone) power amp goes for around $100-200 used and won't recolour the tone.

Talk to Kevin Saale or Riffhog about it.

Quote by SimplyBen
Keep an eye out for an epic NAD, I have something very nice planned for you lovely people in GG&A

I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
Also, links to the DIY attenuators you posted.

I love building/restoring my own stuff.

Quote by SimplyBen

don't use pedal distortion with this amp. maybe, if you want more gain, it would be wise to use a light OD/boost pedal and use that on top of the amp's distortion, but a full on distortion pedal would be pretty wasteful since the amp has great distortion
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.