Do locking tuners or 18:1 tuners affect playability at all? I read somewhere that they can make bends easier etc.
18:1 makes fine tuning easier, and better tuning stability.

Locking has pro's and con's: easier and faster string changes, but some people don't like the look, and they can add noticeable extra weight to the headstock.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
As for playability they really don't make any difference. However. They make tuning smoother, and will keep the instrument in tune better for a longer period of time.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by pigeonmafia
18:1 makes fine tuning easier, and better tuning stability.

Locking has pro's and con's: easier and faster string changes, but some people don't like the look, and they can add noticeable extra weight to the headstock.

Yea, I would have gone locking tuners had it not been for looks. Not that I buy everything for looks, but vintage style tuners just looked sexy on my strat, but they dont hold tune all so well, and really easy to mess up your headstock if you dont install them correctly. Im regretting not getting a real nice set of tuners.
ive got sperzels on my strat and i think they look better than the tuners it came with but maybe thats just me...

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Locking tuners make the strings stay in tune better when you bend (also when using tremolo).

I can see where someone might misunderstand that to mean bending is easier...

But technically, they do not make bending easier, it just makes the strings stay in tune better after bending.

With standard non locking tuners, when you bend the string, the tightness in the wraps around the tuning pegs can/do change ever so slightly causing the strings to go out of tune.
Locking tuners eliminates that.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear