Hey - I noticed on the forum a lot of people seemed to reccomend smaller companies for cabs such as Vader, Avatar , Lopo etc but when I checked around, availability of these was pretty limited outside of the US, but I stumbled upon this London based company: http://www.zillacabs.com/

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with them they would like to share? they seem to be decent quality to me but...thats based on a few pages of a website!

If it helps I'm thinking of getting a closed back 2x12 to use with a Bugera 333 120W; supposedly similar to an XXX/Triple Rec
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
I've never heard of them, but they look good quality. Not sure about some of the horrible finishing options, but they have black and orange tolex
I'd wanna know how many plys and of what wood they use. But other than that, they look good.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I'd wanna know how many plys and of what wood they use. But other than that, they look good.

hey dude - says

"The Small Vintage is a relatively compact 2x12
cab, made using the highest quality, hand
selected 12mm baltic ply and 12mm finger
joints"

Which pretty much flies straight above my head but...if you have a take on it...
Gear
120W Bugera 333 Amp

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
i've heard of them, but i haven't tried them. I think a few people on another forum (bareknuckle forum? musicradar? can't remember) have some, but I'm not sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
pretty much seems like this company, Zilla. Found a scottish one called Flynn Amps but they were pretty expensive
Gear
120W Bugera 333 Amp

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
By the way, if you want a closed back 2x12 with Celestion Vintage 30's, check out the Harley Benton G212V on www.thomann.de . It's only £160 or something.

Those Zilla cabs are nice but if you're on a budget then it may be better.
cheers for that man - thats exactly what I'm looking for!
Gear
120W Bugera 333 Amp

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
there are a bunch of companies. The problem is i haven't tried avatar, so don't know what avatar's quality is. I haven't tried the ones I'm going to list either, this is solely "I've heard of them"...

Matamp make cabs with your choice of speakers.
Ditto MJW/Martamp.
Zilla, as already mentioned.
Custom Cab Company? Something like that. I thought i bookmarked them, but i can't find them.

if you're willing to go further afield, there's also tube town in germany.

I have a really bad feeling that there's somebody really obvious whom I've missed, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
matamp is so desirable. they make supreme stuff

"The Small Vintage is a relatively compact 2x12
cab, made using the highest quality, hand
selected 12mm baltic ply and 12mm finger
joints"

marine grade baltic birch is a ply wood, evidently it is pretty dense, which is why they use it on closed back cabs, the resonance is richer with the baltic birch. evidently baltic birch ply is not as rugged as pine though, but pine lacks the resonance. the thicker the ply of birch, the more resonance? either way i notice the thicker the ply the darker the sound. they either measure the thickness of baltic birch ply in either a 'ply' unit or in mm or both(orange uses a 13 ply/18mm baltic birch for comparison). as far as finger joints go, that is one way of doing it. you'll basically want to see someone using some kinda fancy joint(like finger joints or dovetail joint) because it means they are not just screwing the pieces of ply together, screws are very bad
Ive seen the zilla cabs on ebay unloaded around £200 which is quite pricey if you ask me. They probably are well made but when you put speaker purchase on top of that its a lot of money.
i thought pine cabs were very resonant?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Best value to get an unloaded, then buy speakers. I dunno about Greenbacks, but you can save £40 by buying 2 V30s from Hotroxuk.com instead of through then, you just have to install them.
Quote by greggybhoy
By the way, if you want a closed back 2x12 with Celestion Vintage 30's, check out the Harley Benton G212V on www.thomann.de . It's only £160 or something.

Those Zilla cabs are nice but if you're on a budget then it may be better.

Has anyone had any experience with these Harley Bentons? Seems ***ing cheap but I can't see anything immediately wrong with it:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
Gear
120W Bugera 333 Amp

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Quote by PuppetMaster91
Has anyone had any experience with these Harley Bentons? Seems ***ing cheap but I can't see anything immediately wrong with it:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Possibly poor construction and materials.

I remember when I was looking at them, I kept hearing about how they fell apart easily.

Plus, V30s aren't anything special IIRC.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Simsimius, Vintage 30's are so widely used for a reason...

Its because they're very good.

EDIT: I sound like a tool, let me rephrase that. V30's are very good speakers. They are used in many high end cabs, and are probably the most popular/recommended speaker on UG.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Last edited by DiizZ at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by DiizZ
Simsimius, Vintage 30's are so widely used for a reason...

Its because they're very good.

EDIT: I sound like a tool, let me rephrase that. V30's are very good speakers. They are used in many high end cabs, and are probably the most popular/recommended speaker on UG.

I know, but I've heard many say they aren't the best. Probably because they are modern sounding.
So...
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought pine cabs were very resonant?

pine cabs are resonant, just not as resonant as birch ply, hence why you see [almost] everyone using birch for closed back cabs. my understanding is birch is more expensive than pine, hence why they use pine for open back cabinets, it is cheaper and more durable.
i thought it was the opposite?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^i'll concede it may be opposite, cuz this is something to be interpreted by the end user really, but i don't see why they would use mainly pine on open back cabs and baltic birch in closed back cabs if that was the case...
i'm just going by what my ears told me with the few pine cabs i've tried, and also what i've read.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
actually, you are right. i was kinda getting 2 things confused and have been misusing the term 'resonance'. that is kinda embarassing all that bad advice i gave though, but there is a warning in my sig.

"Baltic Birch is a particular type of plywood that comes from the Baltic regions (Russia). It is exceptionally smooth, void free, resonance free and strong. It is a premium wood that comes at a premium price. Baltic Birch is a low loss wood, so more of the power put into the speakers will turn into SOUND and less will be used to shake and rattle, or Resonate the cabinet."

i had the thought process right, but i was using very wrong terms for what i thought they meant. i was thinking resonance was the property of transfering power from speakers into sound, not the loss of power from the speaker in 'rattling' the cab. i apologize dave mc.

btw:
http://www.zinky.com/construction.html
is an insanely good resource
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 15, 2009,
ah, no worries, no need to apologise. yeah, that's kinda what i mean. Birch ply is probably a "tighter" sound, better for metal and the like, while pine (and presumably other solid woods too?) has a more organic, interactive type of tone. Almost where the cabinet is part of the musical instrument in addition to the guitar and amp.

That was a nice link, by the way.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you should sig the 'actually you were right... i apologize dave mc', total creds

-ae
hehe, i don't really like to sig stuff like that, i don't want to appear big-headed. Plus i don't think i can find a funnier sig than the one i already have
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nods

-ae