Is it okay to put WD40 on the fine tuners on my ibanez?
Some of them are pretty stiff, and im hoping that this will loosen them up.
Is there anything else that anyone recomends to loosen them up abit to make them easier to turn?
You should turn them looser when you restring, if you use a lubricant they'll slip both ways and it'll go out of tune easier.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

If you were to do this I would suggest not to spray it on directly. Get a cue-tip and cover it so that it is dripping and drip a drop into the tuners. It shouldn't hurt the metal pieces but I would be worried about the finish of the guitar.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
I would suggest getting new tuners.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by ScottElwood
If you were to do this I would suggest not to spray it on directly. Get a cue-tip and cover it so that it is dripping and drip a drop into the tuners.
I did this - just cleaned the female thread with a cotton bud soaked in wd40. Smells great too

Make sure they aren't cross threaded at all, other than that a tiny bit of lube won't hurt your bridge, and I doubt it would do your body finish any harm, although it might make it harder to refinish if you use a silicone based lube.
Quote by druggietoad2k5
You should turn them looser when you restring, if you use a lubricant they'll slip both ways and it'll go out of tune easier.

turn them looser?
What does that mean?
There is a small screw in the head of each tuner, just loosen it to make it turn easier.
No, its the fine tuners. not the tuners themselves.
The fine tuners = the ones on the bridge.
Quote by Grevious555
I dont like the sound of this, haha...
I think i'll just soldier on.

Wd40 will kill your trem...

Do you like the sound of that?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
mmmm wd40
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
Why will wd40 destroy your trem?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Why will wd40 destroy your trem?
It won't - it will just make it smell gorgeous! mmmmm wd40....
Quote by ibanezgod1973
NO...........it eats the finish (plating).

Doubt it, I use it all over my car and other machinery with nickel coatings and paint coats and it doesn't do anything bad.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Quote by Deep*Kick
Doubt it, I use it all over my car and other machinery with nickel coatings and paint coats and it doesn't do anything bad.

you start to get a pitting effect and guitars aren`t parts generally aren`t nickel. they`re mostly chrome or gold plated alloy.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
you start to get a pitting effect and guitars aren`t parts generally aren`t nickel. they`re mostly chrome or gold plated alloy.

I guess you're right. Nothing to do with cars is ever chrome plated.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Quote by Deep*Kick
I guess you're right. Nothing to do with cars is ever chrome plated.
Yup. My bike must be made of nickel too - obviously no chrome whatsoever
Well, i did also ask if there was anything else i can put on it...
I wasnt going to stick solely to WD40, i just assumed it'd be alright.
What else can i use?
Dont like the idea of taking it apart if im honest.
I wasnt going to stick solely to WD40, i just assumed it'd be alright.
What else can i use?
Dont like the idea of taking it apart if im honest.

Dude, you want to to take the trem block off the body because there is no way you can clean it without getting some of the cleaning agent in contact with the wood and whatever that agent is, that's a no-no.

Now, if some of the pieces of your trem are stuck, there's no problem using just a little WD40 to release them. Just keep in mind that WD40 seeps in every nook and cranny. So with the increased water vaporization it also causes, it is most damaging to wood, and it may force it's way, along with water, between a raw metal surface and paint, or a raw metal surface and an electrolytic surface smoothing plating varnish, a varnish used on metal surfaces before the plating process to ensure the plating metal is deposits itself regularly. This causes oxydization bubbles under the paint or plating, and pushes the paint or plating away from the steel, which causes the paint or plating to chip away.

Eventually you can dip the block in naphta (lighter fluid) and brush away, thoroughly dry with toilet paper, and then generously lube all metal-metal contacts with mineral oil (baby oil) or a lube formula of mineral oil and graphite, wiping any extra off again with toilet paper.

Just stay away from WD40 which was made for cleaning aluminium and is both a poor sealant and a poor lubricant.