Hi
I play a lot of metal, sludge, post-rock, doom and that kind of stuff.
And someone want's to tradi his marshall plexi against my h&k.
I just love the sound of the marshall, but do you think it will do these kinds of music well.
I could cranck it up live and in rehearsels, but will I need an extra OD?
I see mastodon plays with there kind of amps live and they sound heavy!
Well, I also have a fender tele std and I would have reverb, delay and an EQ in the fx loop.

cheers
Hendrik
you could definitely get a plexi to do stuff like that. you would also definitely need an OD. My other guitar player plays a plexi clone, an ampeg b25 with a box of rock and it does your kind of metal very well. another band that uses plexis that you might like the tone of is the hope conspiracy. Lots of people will tell you "omg no plexi not for metal". but the plexi is an extremely thick and ballsy amp and if you get the right pedal you will be in heaven.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
you could definitely get a plexi to do stuff like that. you would also definitely need an OD. My other guitar player plays a plexi clone, an ampeg b25 with a box of rock and it does your kind of metal very well. another band that uses plexis that you might like the tone of is the hope conspiracy. Lots of people will tell you "omg no plexi not for metal". but the plexi is an extremely thick and ballsy amp and if you get the right pedal you will be in heaven.

/thread

this man wins.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by pmeg568c

So, what would you recommend as an OD?
I hope it will be balsy, but do you really think it will do the job?
And how will I get my clean sound?
Quote by henis
So, what would you recommend as an OD?
I hope it will be balsy, but do you really think it will do the job?
And how will I get my clean sound?

Anything from a Tubescreamer, to a Bad Monkey. Personally, I think that a Marshall Guv'nor is the best, but it's all personal here.

You'll get your cleans by rolling your volume back.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I've never personally played a Plexi, but I've heard that they are extremely loud. I know that you can crank it up during band rehearsal, but I would go with a MV model just to be safe.
Quote by Lil Macker
Anything from a Tubescreamer, to a Bad Monkey. Personally, I think that a Marshall Guv'nor is the best, but it's all personal here.

You'll get your cleans by rolling your volume back.

Ahn, well I have a ts7 tubescreamer, I don't really like it though.
Maybe I should go all the way and buy a fulltone OCD?
Well yes I thought about rolling the volume back.
Bill from Mastodon uses the Ibanez Tube King as a booster...I haven't tried one though.

But a Fulltone OCD would be a great OD as well as a Maxon.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by nightraven
i'd rather have a great clean amp for post rock to be honest...

This. The Plexi will be good for distorted stuff, but it would be better to have an amp with at least a dedicated clean channel if youre going to play post rock
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
i would also stay away from an OCD. the ocd isn't really a tight high gain pedal. it gets lots of gain but its not really for metal stuff. i would again personally recommend a box of rock or a box of metal. or an MI audio crunch box or radial tonebone british
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
i would also stay away from an OCD. the ocd isn't really a tight high gain pedal. it gets lots of gain but its not really for metal stuff. i would again personally recommend a box of rock or a box of metal. or an MI audio crunch box or radial tonebone british

agreed. my amp is supposed to a modded plexi clone and i push it with an ocd and a ts9. the ocd works best as a clean boost and doesnt sound very great for metal, only just to give me more edge with a lead tone, i use my ts-9 for all my heavier tones

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Hmm, I do play a lot of post-rock, but it stays fairly distorted all the way.
At every part of a song I have one or more distortions or OD's switched on.

So you can use a box of rock as a boost?

How far do you think I will have to cranck it up to get a good isis, mastodon, tool kind of tone?
the box of rock itself has tons of boost on it. to give you an idea, my other guitarist plays his amp on 3, with the box of rock boosting and he can easily be louder than me with my amp on 10 boosted with just a boss sd-1. both 60 watt tube amps.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by timzee117
agreed. my amp is supposed to a modded plexi clone and i push it with an ocd and a ts9. the ocd works best as a clean boost and doesnt sound very great for metal, only just to give me more edge with a lead tone, i use my ts-9 for all my heavier tones

So do you have to turn up your gain a lot and then boost? Or does it have some headroom?