Basically I'm on the far end of death metal most of the time, but lately I broke away and I'm digging rock bands. I'm really into Cornell and Morello's stuff, like Audioslave, Soundgarden and RATM, and I've just started learning their songs (INCREDIBLY EASIER THAN SLAYER AND MORBID ANGEL'S STUFF!! l0l) and I'm feeling ready for my first solos.
Can anyone recommend me challenging enough guitar solos from the 80s-90s bands?
...I've been playing for more than 1 and a half year.
Thanks.
Hard solos from 80's and 90's rock bands?

Dry County by Bon Jovi, almost anything by Whitesnake (just not the power ballads, they're pretty easy). I'll be surprised if you don't break your guitar in frustration.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Queensryche, Tesla, Ratt, Loudness etc. There's a ton of bands and solos. A fun solo is Ed Van Halen's solo on Michael Jacksons Beat It for example.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Well, I'm not very much into hair metal, but I'm looking for a harder sound.

And I would like some begginer/intermediate stuff for my first solos, just to get a hang of the higher frets.

Oh and please recommend songs, cuz I know the band names I'm just looking for the songs :P
it's metalcore but it's slightly hardish rock....gunslinger by a7x, and warmness on the soul.
other ones could be take it out on me - bfmv and say goodnight intro and main.
^^^ i know those aren't the genres you're looking for or the year, but they're pretty easy so they might be good for you
some rockish ones................................................i hear back in black solos pretty easy.................

sorry for being no help at all
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Last edited by padgea7x at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by padgea7x
it's metalcore but it's slightly hardish rock....gunslinger by a7x, and warmness on the soul.
other ones could be take it out on me - bfmv and say goodnight intro and main.
^^^ i know those aren't the genres you're looking for or the year, but they're pretty easy so they might be good for you
some rockish ones................................................i hear back in black solos pretty easy.................

sorry for being no help at all

Dude, I learnt Beast and the Harlot 3 months ago cuz I LIKED it. See who gives a **** about what others think.
Quote by ingames
Dude, I learnt Beast and the Harlot 3 months ago cuz I LIKED it. See who gives a **** about what others think.

try Bat Country then. some sweeping practice.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
try Bat Country then. some sweeping practice.

Hey I liked one song from the band, I ain't a metalcore emo :@

And I said Modern Rock songs. Alternative rock bands are nice too, but i can't seem to find any fast solos or anything.
Quote by ingames
Hey I liked one song from the band, I ain't a metalcore emo :@

And I said Modern Rock songs. Alternative rock bands are nice too, but i can't seem to find any fast solos or anything.

when were they metalcore/emo? I always generally classified them as Hard Rock. maybe their first album was metalcore. and their second was metal. but 3&4 are more like hard rock. and they're pretty far from emo too.

I was just doing as you said: giving a solo suggestion. but others i suggest are some EVH stuff, Runnin with the devil, Eruption, Could This Be Magic?(fun song).
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by ingames
Hey I liked one song from the band, I ain't a metalcore emo

Yeah a7x aren't really metalcore emo, they're hard rock now.
But synyster still makes cool and fun solo's.

You know what's actually a cool solo, is the one from Indestructible by Disturbed. Not a fan of the band, but it's quite fun to play. It actually reminds me of the beat it solo, just much easier.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
You know what's actually a cool solo, is the one from Indestructible by Disturbed. Not a fan of the band, but it's quite fun to play. It actually reminds me of the beat it solo, just much easier.

yeah that's a cool one, too. you should def try it

...I asked for Modern Rock solos and I get nu metal and metalcore stuff.
I'm not saying these bands ain't good, and I'm not being an ironic, snobby bastard or anything. I just want solos in the vein of Soundgarden, that 80s-90s sound. Obscure hard rock bands are welcome too, just make sure they play in standard tunings.
Oh and harder bands in the vein of Stone Sour aer welcome too.
thanks for the contribution so far guys.
Check out Spoonman by Soundgarden. maybe some Saving Abel, uh, Theory of a DeadMan.

Edit* I saw StoneSour, they dont play in Standard but you can pull off Bother or Through Glass (I know its not hard rock) In standard.
Last edited by nickdohle at Jul 15, 2009,
Learn these songs

Surfing With The Alien by Joe Satriani
Always With You Always With Me by Joe Satriani
For the Love of God by Steve Vai
Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci
Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson

If you don't want instrumentals, go for Guns n' Roses, they're my favorite hard rock band.

Sweet Child O Mine
Nightrain
Rocket Queen
November Rain
Try Knocking on Heavens doors by GNR (easy solos), and Sweet Child of Mine (Intermediate) too.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.