Ok so I've potted the bridge humbucker on my epiphone les paul custom twice now, and its still producing that microphonic squealing ****, I know I've done it correctly both times, is there anything else I can do?
are your cavities properly shielded and have you made sure everything is properly grounded? having more than one grounding point is sometimes helpful. (i have no idea what your level of expertise is with this sort of thing so if i'm telling you stuff you already know, i'm sorry.)

also, i hear that aftermarket pots come w/ some kind of rust protection coating that will sometimes prevent a good electrical connection. i've been told it's wise to sand the pot before installation.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
^^^ To the bro in front of me ^^^ HE'S TALKING ABOUT WAX POTTING PICKUPS! Not POTS... lol not yelling just found it funny. And I have the same problem with the pick ups in my LP, going to just upgrade them to a Seymour Duncan or something, cause I know they come pre potted.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
ooohh... i know nothing of that... my bad. konfyouzd OUT...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I haven't taken a look at the grounding, all I did was sauder (sp?) the 2 wires back on, its not bad enough that i can hear my voice through it and none of the poles are broken. Whats the best way/best material to shield everything, like tin foil or what?

If all else fails I'm just gonna slap in a 57' classic in the bridge, I'm recording with the band next month so I gotta havea this taken care of before I get to the studio. I don't like having the noise gate cranked up enough to drown out the good feedback.

Thanks for the help so far
Last edited by mr.dave at Jul 15, 2009,
I used 80% paraffin wax, 20% bees wax for potting it, I put the humbucker in when the wax reached its melting point, I believe 150 degrees farenheit right? The coils were in the wax for about 20 minutes, until all of the air bubbles came out of the holes, and I let the humbuckers dry for like 45 minutes to an hour or so.

It did help a lot, but the high pitched squeal does rear its ugly head here and there.

The buckers have gold covers, but getting tighter springs would help it out? Like would it ground it more or keep **** from moving or what?