If I mod my Epiphone Galaxie to take EL34's instead of 6L6's, will the 10 watts rating of the amp change?

I obviously don't know much about this stuff, that's why I'm taking my amp to a tech for the mod.
Quote by mountain2012
If I mod my Epiphone Galaxie to take EL34's instead of 6L6's, will the 10 watts rating of the amp change?

I obviously don't know much about this stuff, that's why I'm taking my amp to a tech for the mod.
1 - Use your eyes. Look inside. There is only ONE 6L6.
2 - Probably less power, if any change at all. The primary impedance of the OT is determined by the turns ratio and the load. You can't really change that. And you might not be at the optimum impedance for extracting the most power from an EL84 at that specific plate voltage.
3 - You may hear a bit of difference tonally, especially if you crank it.
4 - Probably not worth the bucks, if you have to pay someone to do it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^ Thanks for your insight. I'm starting to see modding as being like plastic surgery. It might look better in some people's eyes, but when you look at it long enough, something ain't right.

Modding seems to warp the soul of the original instrument. Not good vibes in my opinion.
Quote by mountain2012
^ Thanks for your insight. I'm starting to see modding as being like plastic surgery. It might look better in some people's eyes, but when you look at it long enough, something ain't right.

Modding seems to warp the soul of the original instrument. Not good vibes in my opinion.
Not a bad analogy. Nothing wrong with a little touch-up. tweaking the right resistor or cap values can make a vast improvement in the character of an amp. Grafting on someone else's nose, on the other hand...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.