With all the new video cards and mobos and processors and everything... how can one keep up? I'm about to purchase a new comp, and I've literally spent a week trying to find out what's good. Is there a good website that talks about all the new tech? I just need a good source on all the new tech.
Isn't it funny that we feel that technology has something to do with electrical appliances???
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
No, there really is no way to keep up. Once you buy something new it will probably be updated in a few weeks.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by rockstar mace
Isn't it funny that we feel that technology has something to do with electrical appliances???

All new technology pretty much does. Sorry if we aren't excited about your wooden club.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Tom's Hardware+Bjorn 3D+Browsing Newegg+Having Overclocker friends/family+Being sponsored by Intel and working for AMD.

It's fun.

Edit: In reality I have 30 different companies yelling at me to put my name on their shit. And no, I really don't want my name on any more mice.
Last edited by Grindar at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by Its So Easy
No, there really is no way to keep up. Once you buy something new it will probably be updated in a few weeks.

*looks at thread title*

*looks at username*

Your answer, TS.
have you tried CNET.com??
you can usually get reviews there and stuff
i usualy find it somewhat useful on new stuff that comes out
and for a new pc just make sure that it has plenty of storage in RAM and hard drive and fits yor needs
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
Well i do.

Did the romans use electricity? i don't think so.

But they did have technology.

EDIT: I can try and argue my concept but it wouldn't do anyone any good.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Last edited by rockstar mace at Jul 14, 2009,
Dunno man, tbh once you've caught up once, you're pretty much there. You say you've spent the past while doing your research etc, you should have an idea now of what's good and what's good. Say ATI/Nvidia put out 3 GPUs every couple of months, a low-end card, middle and high. Just check a forum every so often and you'll usually hear a lot about upcoming cards. Doesn't matter if you don't understand the tech, if you're talking to people in the loop there's often a general consensus on what's good and what isn't.
You have two options.

The first is buy a laptop every two years or so.

The second is to buy a desktop that is so powerful it will last you as many years to make up to price difference. I have a desktop that I bought two years ago, it cost me around 2500 and it has a quad core. It will still be top of the line and play the best video games for the next 2-4 years, which was an awesome investment. Considering that a laptop costs roughly 900$ for a decent one, I saved my money big time and I can play every video game out there, whereas the laptops would have been sluggish.

My cpu even overheated at college because the dorm rooms are hot as ****, which would have cost me an extra 900, but intel was nice enough to let me get a second one for frizeee.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by angusfan16
I opened my eyes and found my mother standing next to me with my sheets in one hand and the other hand over her eyes. She said, "Why are you naked!" and i quickly tried to come up with an answer, but all i could get out was, "Feels good man."
Quote by ScottElwood
You have two options.

The second is to buy a desktop that is so powerful it will last you as many years to make up to price difference. I have a desktop that I bought two years ago, it cost me around 2500 and it has a quad core. It will still be top of the line and play the best video games for the next 2-4 years, which was an awesome investment. Considering that a laptop costs roughly 900$ for a decent one, I saved my money big time and I can play every video game out there, whereas the laptops would have been sluggish.

My cpu even overheated at college because the dorm rooms are hot as ****, which would have cost me an extra 900, but intel was nice enough to let me get a second one for frizeee.

Therefore, you don't have a high end PC. Nice try though.
Build your own computer. Its cheaper to upgrade once you do because your only upgrading certain parts instead of the whole thing.
JAMC
If u are looking for gaming, you cant realy buy a comp for that anymore, at least in like Best Buy or Wal mart. Maybe the internet.
Quote by ScottElwood
You have two options.

Says who?

The GPU is likely already lying in the region of mid-range. What is it, a 9800/3870 or something? No offense intended, I just doubt a two year old card is on par with current top-of-the-line cards.
Quote by yellowlizard
Says who?

The GPU is likely already lying in the region of mid-range. What is it, a 9800/3870 or something? No offense intended, I just doubt a two year old card is on par with current top-of-the-line cards.

Iirc 9800s weren't even out 2 years ago.
Quote by yellowlizard
Says who?

Wasn't meant to imply that it was still top of the line, but when I first bought it the cpu couldn't have been any newer. I mean it's impossible to have THE top of the line, even if you bought your computer today. What I mean is that, if you bought top of the line today, then you most likely won't have to buy a new computer for the next 6 years.

From what I can gather, I would say dual cores are just now becoming standard, if not have been for the past 6 months. It's still going to take several years for quad-cores to become standard, of which then my computer is no longer a beast.

I have a QX6700 btw
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
No matter what you buy, it'll be old news in 2-5 years, so it's best to buy some mid-grade technology for a reasonable price then to buy the biggest and best thing out there only for it to be ordinary in a few years. Buying brand-new technology is a waste of money, IMO.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by ScottElwood
What I mean is that, if you bought top of the line today, then you most likely won't have to buy a new computer for the next 6 years.

Not even close for games. My 4.2ghz P4EE from right before the first dual core was released can't run Crysis on the lowest settings.

Quote by ScottElwood
From what I can gather, I would say dual cores are just now becoming standard, if not have been for the past 6 months. It's still going to take several years for quad-cores to become standard, of which then my computer is no longer a beast.

Nope. Every new PC had a dual core installed a year and a half ago.

Edit: TS just PM me if you need help with this.
Last edited by Grindar at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by Grindar
Not even close for games. My 4.2ghz P4EE from right before the first dual core was released can't run Crysis on the lowest settings.

Nope. Every new PC had a dual core installed a year and a half ago.

Dude come on. You are using a p4 processor to play a game that was released LAST YEAR.

And you are saying that like you are expecting something from it. If you bought a p4 right when dual-cores were coming out then you were not buying top of the line, you were buying the model that was just getting kicked out of the market, of course you aren't going to be able to play a 2008 game at minimal settings.

Lots of other things matter too, like video card... and ram I have an 8800 gtx which has suited me fine. I also have 4 gb of ram so I can run many multiple applications at the same time. I have NEVER had lag between switching windows unless a program was corrupted. I can run an HD movie on a second monitor without hurting performance of a video game on the first monitor.

And if what you are saying is true, that you bought a p4 right before dual cores came out, that means that you bought a p4 about two and a half years ago, the same time I got this quad core. That means you were two waves behind the new tech.
Last edited by ScottElwood at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by rockstar mace
Well i do.

Did the romans use electricity? i don't think so.

But they did have technology.

EDIT: I can try and argue my concept but it wouldn't do anyone any good.
tru dat.

those of us who are already aware that the biggest leaps forward are in chemistry, biochem, and mechanics won't learn anything new. the rest won't be swayed.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by ScottElwood
Dude come on. You are using a p4 processor to play a game that was released LAST YEAR.

And you are saying that like you are expecting something from it. If you bought a p4 right when dual-cores were coming out then you were not buying top of the line, you were buying the model that was just getting kicked out of the market, of course you aren't going to be able to play a 2008 game at minimal settings.

Lots of other things matter too, like video card... and ram I have an 8800 gtx which has suited me fine. I also have 4 gb of ram so I can run many multiple applications at the same time. I have NEVER had lag between switching windows unless a program was corrupted. I can run an HD movie on a second monitor without hurting performance of a video game on the first monitor.

And if what you are saying is true, that you bought a p4 right before dual cores came out, that means that you bought a p4 about two and a half years ago, the same time I got this quad core. That means you were two waves behind the new tech.

Are you fucking retarded or something?

You told me that a 6 year old PC would run fine today.

I said that the HIGHEST POSSIBLE END PC could not run a game released 3 years after it was built.

My P4 came out BEFORE the first Dual Core, not after, not at the same time, and therefore it was the HIGEST END.

BTW, stop talking about your 8800 and stuff, that doesn't matter, it has no relevance to ANYTHING I WAS TALKING ABOUT WHATSOEVER.

Oh, and Quad Cores didn't come out at the same time as Dual Cores, they came out MUCH, MUCH later. I don't know what the fuck you're on, but stop trying to argue with me.

Either you're the most ignorant and stupid person I've ever met, or you're purposely trying to argue with me.
Quote by Grindar
Are you fucking retarded or something?

You told me that a 6 year old PC would run fine today.

I said that the HIGHEST POSSIBLE END PC could not run a game released 3 years after it was built.

My P4 came out BEFORE the first Dual Core, not after, not at the same time, and therefore it was the HIGEST END.

BTW, stop talking about your 8800 and stuff, that doesn't matter, it has no relevance to ANYTHING I WAS TALKING ABOUT WHATSOEVER.

Oh, and Quad Cores didn't come out at the same time as Dual Cores, they came out MUCH, MUCH later. I don't know what the fuck you're on, but stop trying to argue with me.

Either you're the most ignorant and stupid person I've ever met, or you're purposely trying to argue with me.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying that you didn't "technically" buy the best at the time. Pentium 4 was introduced in the year 2000. That means that it can play games up to 6 years from the introduction date. Doom 3 came out in the beginning of 2007 and you can play that game on a p4 quite well. If you bought the p4 several years after 2000 then you are starting to buy dated technology.

Also, dual cores started coming out in 2001, in 2004 it was easier to start getting them. That means it took 4 years for the dual cores to go from initiation to standard hardware (in 2008). If the trend is the same then Quad Cores, which came out in 2006 with more models in 2007, will be standard come the winter/spring of 2010/11. This gives me 4 1/2 years of playing games at pretty high quality, then another 2-3 of medium to lower quality. In total I will have the computer for 6-7 years. In that time you could have bought 3 laptops for 700-900 each, which comes out to the same price.
Um...it's not that hard. Just check www.newegg.com or computer news sites on a regular basis.

By the way, the latest computer consumer components is Intel i7 processor and nVidia GTX000 series graphic cards.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Grindar
Iirc 9800s weren't even out 2 years ago.

8800 then, I was being generous I guess
Quote by Xiaoxi
Um...it's not that hard. Just check www.newegg.com or computer news sites on a regular basis.

By the way, the latest computer consumer components is Intel i7 processor and nVidia GTX000 series graphic cards.

the i7 is overkill though especially if you are going to build an i7 rig because all the mobos (that i am aware of) that support the i7 need ddr3 RAM which is expensive and the board itself is expensive. Quadcore is even overkill (although i love mine) for most games and programs since barely any utilize all four cores.

keeping up with technology isn't really necessary for the time being because this generation of technology is pretty much for scientists who need to simulate some sort of disease or something more intense than playing Crysis on ultra high (which can be done with dual core technology and the last generation of nvidia cards it just requires a bit of overclocking)
Quote by ironman1478
the i7 is overkill though especially if you are going to build an i7 rig because all the mobos (that i am aware of) that support the i7 need ddr3 RAM which is expensive and the board itself is expensive. Quadcore is even overkill (although i love mine) for most games and programs since barely any utilize all four cores.

I didn't say it was necessary to buy right now, just that it's the newest.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
There's a lot of BS floating around this thread. Go on the tech forums, and just read around there. You will soon understand what is good and not.
Make friends with the kids in the IT department. My roommate is the Development manager for my the College of Fine Arts at BU's computer lab, so he is pretty much all over this kind of ****.

Whenever I decided to build my new computer I'm going to call him, tell him what I am looking for and give him a budget. He will handle the rest.

But anyway, according to Moore's Law the development of processing power (and many other markers of technological advancement both inside and outside of IT) follow an exponential curve. Moore's law itself states that processing power doubles every 16 months. This pretty much means that a few months after purchasing your brand, spanking new computer it will be obsolete.

Interestingly enough, Moore's Law will only hold for the next 5 or 10 years. After that, a new law will have to be developed in order to measure progress.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
I know what you mean, Im trying to find a laptop for college but I dont know where to find the best deal
Quote by ScottElwood
I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying that you didn't "technically" buy the best at the time. Pentium 4 was introduced in the year 2000. That means that it can play games up to 6 years from the introduction date. Doom 3 came out in the beginning of 2007 and you can play that game on a p4 quite well. If you bought the p4 several years after 2000 then you are starting to buy dated technology.

Also, dual cores started coming out in 2001, in 2004 it was easier to start getting them. That means it took 4 years for the dual cores to go from initiation to standard hardware (in 2008). If the trend is the same then Quad Cores, which came out in 2006 with more models in 2007, will be standard come the winter/spring of 2010/11. This gives me 4 1/2 years of playing games at pretty high quality, then another 2-3 of medium to lower quality. In total I will have the computer for 6-7 years. In that time you could have bought 3 laptops for 700-900 each, which comes out to the same price.

Sorry for thinking you were arguing

Anyways, I don't see why TS is having a hard time, seriously, my job is organizing and administrating the Secret Service's computers, just PM me and I'll give you a hand.