Hey!

I'm GAS-ing for a new guitar. It basicly has to cover instrumental rock (usual Satriani, Vai stuff) perfectly, but a little versatility would be nice (towards jazz-fusion, blues territory)
My budget is 2000€ max.

I've been leaning towards JS1200 but I am open to every suggestion.

Thanks!
I DON'T PLAY METAL!
There is no specific guitar for instrumental rock. Satriani and Vai use Ibanez because it feels better to them. Eric Johnson uses a strat and makes marvelous tunes.

Just find a guitar that you think you can play the music you want to play with, and go from there. Don't limit yourself to guitars that people in that genre play.
^ agreed.

However, most shredders tend to use superstrats, so you might as well look into a few of those too. I'm assuming you're in europe? Which country? (will affect prices and availability)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am from Slovenia... We have very poor choice here so if can't buy a guitar here I will go to Germany.
I DON'T PLAY METAL!
If youre playing inatrumental you should look at a seven string.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
The JS sounds to suit you (as you want it also heading in a bluesy kinda direction), but as you seem to be spending a large amount of money on this, take a look at Suhr, you'll probably have to up your price a bit if you want all the bells and whistles, but they are great guitars. (look up Guthrie Govan, he plays them, amazing.)
Vigier I think would be a great choice.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Well I do own a JS1200, and they are pretty damn amazing. Some people however, don't like the neck and the overall shape of the guitar... which is what I find to be the absolute best thing about it. It is SO damn comfortable. It is really quite a versatile guitar too, and the bridge is solid.
Just overall great guitar, if you have the money.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by DTay47
Well I do own a JS1200, and they are pretty damn amazing. Some people however, don't like the neck and the overall shape of the guitar... which is what I find to be the absolute best thing about it. It is SO damn comfortable. It is really quite a versatile guitar too, and the bridge is solid.

Really glad to hear that ! Wtf? :O It looks amazing :O is ut weel suited for fast picking? like pg stuff?
Quote by Satriani_is_God
Really glad to hear that ! Wtf? :O It looks amazing :O is ut weel suited for fast picking? like pg stuff?

I don't think a guitar is really well suited for tremolo picking stuff... thats just more technique. There are only 22 frets though, so upper fret access is not as good as if you had a 24 fret guitar, but if you're hands are big, and you don't have retarted technique, you will be fine.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Punk_Ninja
The JS sounds to suit you (as you want it also heading in a bluesy kinda direction), but as you seem to be spending a large amount of money on this, take a look at Suhr, you'll probably have to up your price a bit if you want all the bells and whistles, but they are great guitars. (look up Guthrie Govan, he plays them, amazing.)

Yes I've heard very good things about suhr but I can't find a dealer that has Guthries signature and Modern 24 in stock. Does anyone knows the base price for those models?

Quote by DTay47

I've tried it and I also think neck is awsome. It's got that Strat-ish feel that I really like.

Quote by Baby Joel

I am not familiar with that this company... Which model would you recommend?
I DON'T PLAY METAL!
Last edited by framusmayfield at Jul 14, 2009,
Ok... Suhr guitars seem to be way out of my price range (at least the models I've been looking at). I've just looked them up... So no Suhr for me ...

But I've also been looking at this. What do you think?

EDIT: Sorry for double post.
I DON'T PLAY METAL!
I'm not sure how that'd far with Satch and Vai. But it would be perfect for your jazz and blues stuff.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel

that's what i was going to suggest. Also Lag (the french-made ones- unfortunately i've only tried the cheaper chinese-made ones) and maybe even framus? Haven't tried any framuses, though.

Things like suhr, tyler, tom anderson etc. would be worth a look too, but they're not as good value in europe and might be over budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by framusmayfield
this. What do you think?

that might not work very well for the higher gain genres...
Fender 70s series Stratocaster
Vox V847A wah
Boss BF-3
Ibanez TS-9DX
I'm gonna recommend a Carvin. 24 frets (on some models), Trem or no trem, very good upper fret access, very fast necks. I play a ton of instrumental stuff on my Carvin DC-127 and it does it all very well.
Probably out of your price range, but maybe PRS? VERY versatile, and Guthrie Govan used to use them.
Guitars:
Prs Custom 24
Amps:
Various VSTs
Quote by DTay47
I don't think a guitar is really well suited for tremolo picking stuff... thats just more technique. There are only 22 frets though, so upper fret access is not as good as if you had a 24 fret guitar, but if you're hands are big, and you don't have retarted technique, you will be fine.

haha sounds nice! Ive got quite normal hands, yeah its probaly more the technique itself not the guitar!
If it were me, I would get either a fender USA Deluxe strat, and change the pickups out to those of your desire for your music, or not at all. However, I realize the genre, so a superstrat is also a great idea, I hear great things about the high end Ibanez's, high end ESP's(may be to heavy sounding), and pretty much all jacksons.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp