hey guys,

my rig as it stands

mesa singe recto, maxon 808 and isp decimator no fx.

i want to start using fx..
1. i dont want to tap dance
2. i definatley dont want to lose any of my dry tne when the fx are on.

i want my signal as close to amp as possible.

i was thinkin..

single rectifier with a voodoo lab gcx! run the g major through the gcx into the recto fx loop then i would have no tone suckage when ive set up a floor midi controller and amp switcher right?

it would true bypass the g major when i just want amp, noise reduction and tube screamer right?

also i want the floor switcher to change amp channel aswell. is this at all possible?

finally, i know i would need to mod the single recto to series loop, what will i lose on my rectifier?

if anyone can help with this that would be great. i know there is alot of knowledge on this board.
own;
peavey 6505
marshall 1960av cab
esp ltd ec1000 18V M0D
schecter black hawk
prs standard 24 platinum grey
ibanez aeg10e acoustic

want;
dual rectifier 3 channel head
prs custom 24
tremonti se (duncan p/ups)
schecter tempest (red)
Quote by marshall_01

finally, i know i would need to mod the single recto to series loop, what will i lose on my rectifier?

I've heard that the series loop mod can disable the boost control on some amps, but my rectoverb is series and everything is the same as it was parallel. the mix control doesnt work, tho i am sure there would be a way to wire it as volume control for the loop.
My Stuffs
Whammy->DL4->Holy Grail->MXR 108->Mesa Rectoverb
OCD->Sun Face->Big Muff->535Q->DL4->Orange TT
Actually when you do the series mod your amp should sound better!(It will sound closer to when you have the loop hard bypassed)

And you are correct with all your other questions.
But like Kino said you will lose your mix control. Which isn't a bad thing IMO because with a parallel loop and the mix control all the way up you are still only getting 90% of the signal.

Also, sometimes you will lose your solo boost. But there is a fix for that. I am going to attach pics of a Single Recto before and after pics so you can see how to do the series loop mod. I will also attach a pic of the footswitch mod needed "if you lose your solo boost.

Good luck you will be extremely happy at how much better the amp sounds with a series loop! And ask why didn't Mesa do this in the first place.

Here is a Single Rec chassis before the loop mod notice the red wires attached to the mix level control.

Here is a pic of a Single Rec after the series loop mod! again notice the Red wires. The wires to nowhere is just taped up on the end in case you should decide to undo the mod.

Here is a pic of the footswitch mod needed if you lose your solo boost.

If you decide to tackle this yourself you can see how simple of a job it is to do. Even with mediocre soldering abilities.

Good luck!

Dave-
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Last edited by boxcarmonument at Jul 15, 2009,
ok well thats sweeeeett!!!

thanks for taking the time to put the ppics up man!

any ideas on the voodoo lab gcx and the g major tone sucing?
should this stop that so that when the g major isnt engaged its truly bypassed making it as if it was just amp and guitar?
own;
peavey 6505
marshall 1960av cab
esp ltd ec1000 18V M0D
schecter black hawk
prs standard 24 platinum grey
ibanez aeg10e acoustic

want;
dual rectifier 3 channel head
prs custom 24
tremonti se (duncan p/ups)
schecter tempest (red)
I don't believe there is much tone suck with a G-major at all. It is highly recommended over at the boogie board. And yes bypassing it will make it just guitar>amp. I think the voodoo lab, G-major and Mesa together are an awesome combo! It doesn't get much better than that but I'm such a Mesa mark. I couldn't want anything other than that!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by marshall_01
ok well thats sweeeeett!!!

thanks for taking the time to put the ppics up man!

any ideas on the voodoo lab gcx and the g major tone sucing?
should this stop that so that when the g major isnt engaged its truly bypassed making it as if it was just amp and guitar?

Will this be for live or recording? Recording you should really use seperate pedals...but live there's no point.

G major is cool and its a very transpart multi effects unit. I don't think its a big deal that it isn't true bypas but you can easily make an a/b loop box to fix that. Grab that with a midi floorboard and you'll be set without tapdancing.

Depending on your budget you could also consider an Axe-FX instead of the G major.
WTLTL 2011