Page 1 of 2
Im trying to find a good sound out of my line 6, ****ty amp i know. The clean settings are fine, But im looking for a good distortion sound that still sounds clean (impossible on this amp?). Anything besides the stock insane'crunch' settings they got. thanks
You could just go get a stand alone distortion pedal. Other than that you're stuck with that processed sounding distortion...
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
use the 'metal' model,

crank the bass, cut some mid, increase the high a touch

gets a pretty nice distorted sound, and doesnt do the fuzzy multiple note thing

EDIT: and keep the gain at around 7-8 ish
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
yea i got a overdrive pedal, but it still has that processed sound throu the amp, maybe time to start saving $$
The best way to find a sound is to be turning the knobs yourself. But getting a Pedal is also a good choice.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by MickAlmighty
use the 'metal' model,

crank the bass, cut some mid, increase the high a touch

gets a pretty nice distorted sound, and doesnt do the fuzzy multiple note thing

EDIT: and keep the gain at around 7-8 ish

what "o'clock" are we talkin on each if its not too much to ask
The best sound you can get out of that is the crunch after you've dropped it a couple of stories.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Rydin1
what "o'clock" are we talkin on each if its not too much to ask

eeerm, i cant really remember what i set it too haha.

educated guess would be:

Drive: 2-3 o'clock
Bass: 3-5 o'clock
Mid: 10-12 o'clock
Treb: 12-2 o'clock

thats approx how i set it and it gets me a really nice tone (which kinda got me loving the amp haha)
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
"off" is the best sounding setting on it. Honestly, if I remember from when I had mine, the only somewhat usable channel was metal. Crunch was really compressed and insane was over the top

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
yeah im looking into new amps now, i just need something for my bedroom, but with a good clean setting and a nice crunchy disortion thats crisp
see now i dont get most people on here,

someone opens a thread like this asking an honest question, then everyone comes and starts being dicks saying **** like 'get a new amp' 'off is the best setting' 'throw it out a moviong car whilst at a safari park' and whit like that.

it doesnt help the guy out in ANY way. if the amp he's got is a spider 3 then give him some help that doesnt include destroying/selling the amp or whatever
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Quote by MickAlmighty

educated guess would be:

thats approx how i set it and it gets me a really nice tone (which kinda got me loving the amp haha)

That probably wouldn't sound so bad even for a Spider.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by MickAlmighty

educated guess would be:

Yep that's how I had it when I used mine for metal, maybe the drive a little back and the mid right in the middle as on the red metal channel 12oclock mid is the "dual rectifier" mode, the mid knob doesnt function as an EQ IIRC
Quote by BladeSlinger
That probably wouldn't sound so bad even for a Spider.

like i said, thats more or less the setting thats got me appreciating my spider II. which, in my opinion, is better than the 3... thus, decent amp... for now

EDIT: forgot to say, i use the green metal channel.

havnt really tried that out on the red, might have to give it a bash
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Last edited by MickAlmighty at Jul 14, 2009,
Spider III's are 'GOOD' amps.

You need to spend time tinkering with the settings though, you'll get your own like-able sound out of it that way.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by MickAlmighty
see now i dont get most people on here,

someone opens a thread like this asking an honest question, then everyone comes and starts being dicks saying **** like 'get a new amp' 'off is the best setting' 'throw it out a moviong car whilst at a safari park' and whit like that.

it doesnt help the guy out in ANY way. if the amp he's got is a spider 3 then give him some help that doesnt include destroying/selling the amp or whatever

haha thanks man - I agree, i dont get most people either, just gotta learn to accept this world is full of some real assholes who get off ****tin on other people, w/e, it is what it is, haha. Also why I put in the Original post that i know its a ****ty amp, tryin to work with it tho.
Quote by REV3LATI0N
"off" is the best sounding setting on it. Honestly, if I remember from when I had mine, the only somewhat usable channel was metal. Crunch was really compressed and insane was over the top

This +1

For now, do what was mentioned earlier with the Metal setting. Buy a new amp. (And not a Marshall MG >.> That's really the best...the only solution
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by Rydin1
haha thanks man - I agree, i dont get most people either, just gotta learn to accept this world is full of some real assholes who get off ****tin on other people, w/e, it is what it is, haha. Also why I put in the Original post that i know its a ****ty amp, tryin to work with it tho.

i bet half the guys that rag on MGs or Spiders have never played through one, or if they have, they havnt spend some decent time to get a nice sound from it.

either that... or there just ****ty and make everything sound bad :P
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
either way, haha, ive spent about a month and half, ive been playing acoustic for 6 months, electric now for about two, and this amp has already been "outgrown" or ive just gotten tired of the crappy quality sound, haha
For a mild overdrive tone I set it to the Metal (red not green) mode. To me the green is too thick.

Drive: 7 or 8
Bass: 6
Mids: 4-6 depending on tone
Treble: 7

I usually add a little reverb too.

My definition of mild may be different from someone elses. My heaviest setting is the Insane channel like this:

Drive: 8
Bass: 4-6
Mids: 6
Treble: 5-8

I think the bass on the insane setting is too muddy to go past 6. I keep mine right under 5. Treble is really up to you, I find past 7 or 8 becomes really squeaky an you just can't solo with it.

The red metal channel covers a lot of the 80's music I like (Boston, Styx, Asia, etc) and the Insane mode is the closest I can get to a Mesa Rectifier.
Last edited by MarcoWasRight at Jul 14, 2009,
sounds interesting.

i never venture into the insane zone.

find it too blurry for me tbh

might try out a few of your sets later/tomorrow
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Start by backing off the drive so it's closer in line with the Metal mode. I think somewhere around 6 or 7 is good. Sometimes I turn the drive all the way up and it's just ridiculous but manageable if you keep the bass down.
THe best thing available on that amp is the noise gate. Use it and it will clear up a lot of unwanted noise on any channel.

Hold tap button and rotate reverb knob clockwise until you see red light come on. The moer you turn it to the right the more it shuts the gate.
Quote by MickAlmighty
i bet half the guys that rag on MGs or Spiders have never played through one, or if they have, they havnt spend some decent time to get a nice sound from it.

either that... or there just ****ty and make everything sound bad :P

If someone says a Spider sounds amazing and they're starting out, no big deal. It sounds ok to an extent and can be dialed in to sound good. I've heard one MG that sounded good. One. I plugged in a Guitar Center with a Jackson Kelly and it sounded terrible. At first I was like WTF is with this guitar then I looked up....To see an MG. I quickly relocated to a Spider since they're the only non tube amps on the floor and all the tube amps don't provide the gain I want.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My current settings are at:

Drive: 8
Bass: 6 (12 o clock)
Mid: 8
Treble: 6 (12 o clock again)
with the reverb at around 1/3

the sound is alright it was one of the best tones i was able to get on a 15w spider

Edit: on the insane setting
Last edited by Fardarkcrow at Jul 14, 2009,
The Spider III's are fine amps. I personally believe the presets already included suck monkey, but if you play with the settings you will find something you like.

I mainly use:

Red Insane
Drive 4-5 o'clock
Bass 3-4 o'clock
Mid 7-9 o'clock
Treb 4-5 o'clock

Red Metal
Drive 3-4 o'clock
Bass 3-4 o'clock
Mid 10-12 o'clock (or higher depending on what im playing)
Treb 4-5 o'clock

EDIT: btw isnt this in the wrong forum? XD
Last edited by siverstorm at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by srob7001
THe best thing available on that amp is the noise gate. Use it and it will clear up a lot of unwanted noise on any channel.

Hold tap button and rotate reverb knob clockwise until you see red light come on. The moer you turn it to the right the more it shuts the gate.

i did this and my amp seemed to freek out, lolnothing turned red either
Quote by Rydin1

I did it and the light on the D button lights up when you turn it to the right.
When you turn to the left you get this hideous feedback.
On my 15w Spider III, I use the Insane channel with the gain on about 9 o'clockish, bass and middle at 12 o'clock, and treble at 3 o'clock. Halfway decent sound good enough for bedroom practice, for me anyway.
Keep on all 10's but put the gain all the way then put it on the Insane setting
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by vinnie-watt5
Keep on all 10's but put the gain all the way then put it on the Insane setting

He's trying to get a good sound out of it, not attract wild animals.
Hey man.. My personal favorite channel is the Insane "red". If you turn all the knobs to 12 then after you do that screw aroudn with the tone. I usually have everything set around half and the bass just a lill over for those chuggin riffs. Also like others have said. The Metal "red" channel is another good one for solo'ing and stuff
I just got done putting a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge of my Jackson and a '59 in the neck and I must say, I'm going to have to change all my settings (even though my Spider is going bye bye real soon).

These settings are just a general guideline, your pickups will have a fair amount of effect on the sound too. Like the guy above me said, put everything on 5 and then start by cranking the gain to your desired level. Then go about tweaking the EQ little by little. Move the bass up one or two (or down) and then move to the mids and then to the treble. Start all over again so you know what you're getting into instead of just turning the knobs to your "desired" sound right away. A slight increase in bass can really change how you want to set your treble.
Quote by Rydin1

Well I have the Spider II amp, maybe it doesn't work the same way on the Spider III's.

Just check the manual it came with, it will tell you how to do it.
With the most settings (especially the two i posted previously) for an awesome 'solo' sound you can use the delay with the TAP beat going really fast (sorry i don't know the correct terms :P) and reverb cranked up.

I typically do it at 3/4 up the delay and 3o'clock with reverb.

I think it sounds really cool XD
the 30W and Below Spider III's suck man. The sound you get off of em is pretty ****ty. The 75Watt and above are really good though. I play a lot of Metalcore and use the Killswitch Engage Deepfriedriff preset for rhythm, the Ginger +S/C for leads and the Metallica Enter CleanMan for Cleans.
Try em out. They sound really good. And the Meshuggah preset sounds great as well if your guitar uses Active Pickups. My Spider III sounds amazing for what I play (150Watt btw)

Check out my videos if you want- I recently bought a new Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX and its amazing through this amp, Much better than the Fender mexican Strat im using right now. The sound on the video is a bit trebly coz of the guitar on higher volumes but the Schecter sounds absolutely amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/insanityaditya
Quote by Aditya_ram
the 30W and Below Spider III's suck man. The sound you get off of em is pretty ****ty. The 75Watt and above are really good though. I play a lot of Metalcore and use the Killswitch Engage Deepfriedriff preset for rhythm, the Ginger +S/C for leads and the Metallica Enter CleanMan for Cleans.
Try em out. They sound really good. And the Meshuggah preset sounds great as well if your guitar uses Active Pickups. My Spider III sounds amazing for what I play (150Watt btw)

Check out my videos if you want- I recently bought a new Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX and its amazing through this amp, Much better than the Fender mexican Strat im using right now. The sound on the video is a bit trebly coz of the guitar on higher volumes but the Schecter sounds absolutely amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/insanityaditya

This is all opinion but does the wattage even really matter as far as tone? I thought SS amps sound better at low volumes because turning them up isn't like a tube amp where you are pushing the tubes.

I own a Spider II and I'd have to say the III offers nothing I desire. I think most of the presets are ok at best. There's a few I didn't mind when I tried it but why not just create your own tone? I guess if you really don't know how to adjust the EQ then having a starting position isn't bad for beginners.

Also, your guitar has the SD Blackouts and if they are like EMG's (both active so I'm assuming same principle here) then they'll really come through with their true tone on a tube amp.
Page 1 of 2