hi i know there is probably a thread about this but w/e

so my question is what are the sound differences between EMG active pickups and EMG passive pickups?

btw I'm planning on getting 2 single coils and one humbucker for my guitar build using my old peavey raptor exp plus. any recommendations would be awesome

the kind of music I'm looking to play mostly rock, punk, and a little bit of metal

EDIT:
i have another question would i have to use the pots and output jacks that come with the emg active pickups or would i be able to do all my own wiring?
Last edited by Demonic82 at Jul 14, 2009,
Well you really cant awnser that without trying it yourself, but active EMG's are more made to overdrive a tube amp, and as for passives.. I heard there great. I heard the suck donkey balls, I heard your grandma has I set in her kitchen... Its all on the persons preference. Like my problem is IDK if I want a set of EMG's (Active ones, 81/85) or do I want some seymour duncans (Passive) SO yeah its all on what you want to try. I have heard that Active EMG's are super versatile, others say there not. But it would really help, well if we knew what you played (Guitar and music style) I assume 2 singles and a humbucker your playing a strat or strat copy of some sorts. So yeah more info helps.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Well you really cant awnser that without trying it yourself, but active EMG's are more made to overdrive a tube amp, and as for passives.. I heard there great. I heard the suck donkey balls, I heard your grandma has I set in her kitchen... Its all on the persons preference. Like my problem is IDK if I want a set of EMG's (Active ones, 81/85) or do I want some seymour duncans (Passive) SO yeah its all on what you want to try. I have heard that Active EMG's are super versatile, others say there not. But it would really help, well if we knew what you played (Guitar and music style) I assume 2 singles and a humbucker your playing a strat or strat copy of some sorts. So yeah more info helps.

if it helps at all ive added more more information
emg actives own the hell out of emg passives. The H4 is modeled after the actives and the actives own it. EMG's imo are pretty damn versatile, although people say they aren't. The EMG singles kinda suck, but that's just me. The active emg's are great for all kinds of rock and metal and the 85 is good for blues in the neck.

and actives use a 9volt battery that pretty much takes a helluva long time to die.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I always thought of the EMG HZs as being EMG's low-end deal... but maybe not. It just seems like getting passive EMGs is like buying a solidstate Marshall stack.... it kinda defeats the purpose.