I'm really excited!

But also nervous. I m not going to go into the fact that I've been wondering about what to play at the shop for 2 days, even though I have :P.

I'm going to go to a guy who makes his own guitars and sells them next to selling normal guitars. The thing about this is that it will probably be one on one salesmanship.
I have no idea what kind of guitars I should be looking into, what to look for in a guitar,....

So onto the reason for my posting here is to win some advice from people who aren't trying to make a profit on me first.
I am a new player (3-4 months), I can play basic chord songs easily, some bar chords and a few picking pieces (intro to sweet home alabama, and some belgian songs). I am teaching myself because I can't take classes this year as I m going on an exchange program in london for a big part of the year. I am planning on touching on blues, rock and maybe a tiny bit of metal.

Some examples as to what I like: Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Lynnyrd Skynyrd, Wolfmother, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin and a touch of metallica

I'm looking for advice on wich guitars are good ones for my price range (I have a budget of about 500€ for guitar and an amp if it would be wise to get one since I only have a small Vox plugin amp for headphones), what I should pay attention to, what I should stay away from and any other things you thing would be useful to know.

Cheers!
Don't buy a guitar tomorrow.
Just try them out, see which ones you like, then take time to make a decision.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
First of all just tell him you are new and don't act like you are amazing, when you try out the guitar play it standing up and siting down, look at every part of the guitar for blemishes and use all of the tone controls when you play, set the amp to a nice clean setting with everything flat and listen to the pickups.
Quote by DTay47
Don't buy a guitar tomorrow.
Just try them out, see which ones you like, then take time to make a decision.

Sounds like a good plan, but what guitars should I try? I can't just ask him to show me everything in my range, and hook them up to an amp one by one, try them, and not buy anything, can I?
Quote by maikelv
Sounds like a good plan, but what guitars should I try? I can't just ask him to show me everything in my range, and hook them up to an amp one by one, try them, and not buy anything, can I?

Yeah you can. He will understand if you have to go home and think about it, since you have just tried them out. Just say you will be back later to hopefully buy one of their guitars. You will be fine don't worry.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
given the bands listed, Fender Stratocaster (Mexican made for your budget) or Epiphone Les Paul.

Those are 2 very different guitars, but either should fit well for those styles of music.
These are like the Chevy and Ford of guitars.
Most people only like one or the other, very few people like both.
so try a couple of each. till you figure out which one you like best.

But, don't limit yourself to just those 2, it's just my opinion....

Also, in that price range, you probably want to spend more on your amp, then on your guitar. I would recommend the Fender blues Jr.

Fender Blues Jr + Mexican Fender Stratocaster = $1000 +/- US, not sure what that is in Euros...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
given the bands listed, Fender Stratocaster (Mexican made for your budget) or Epiphone Les Paul.

Those are 2 very different guitars, but either should fit well for those styles of music.
These are like the Chevy and Ford of guitars.
Most people only like one or the other, very few people like both.
so try a couple of each. till you figure out which one you like best.

But, don't limit yourself to just those 2, it's just my opinion....

Also, in that price range, you probably want to spend more on your amp, then on your guitar. I would recommend the Fender blues Jr.

Fender Blues Jr + Mexican Fender Stratocaster = $1000 +/- US, not sure what that is in Euros...

Thanks for the advice, however my budget is not as high as $1000, but it is probably a good idea to buy the guitar first, and than save up for the amp instead of buying 2 things of inferiour quality to fit my budget at the moment.

I appreciate you giving me some direction as to wich guitars would be suitable.
I would say wait. If you've only been playing for 3-4 months, it's very likely that you won't be able to tell the differences between guitars. Your music tastes will also likely change due to discovering new music. What you want in a guitar will likely change after the first year. Don't rush into it. I would recommend getting an amp though.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I would say wait. If you've only been playing for 3-4 months, it's very likely that you won't be able to tell the differences between guitars. Your music tastes will also likely change due to discovering new music. What you want in a guitar will likely change after the first year. Don't rush into it. I would recommend getting an amp though.

hmmm, what would I use an amp for if I dont have an electric guitar? :P
look at yamaha pacifica guitars while they're not as great as MIM fender's if you do quit later on you won't lose as much money but the fender is worth it to motivate yourself.