Probably a Japanese made Soloist, or a high-end Dinky. Here's an SL-3 Super Lightweight. Great guitar. Very sleek and sounds good.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SLS3-Soloist-Super-Lightweight-Electric-Guitar?sku=500863

But what kind of music do you play? Do you want a heavy sound (EMG's and such) or versatile? And neck-thru or bolt? Floyd or Fixed bridge?
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Go down to your nearest GC and see what used Soloists they have. The one near me has two right now and the one in Raleigh I use to go to all the time usually had at least one.

If I may though, Charvel now has the SoCal and (forget other models) that are $899 I think. Made in the US and come with Seymour Duncans or DiMarzio's. Really a great deal for an American built guitar with quality pickups and a great neck. I think they may even have OFR's but I'd have to double check.
Yeah, a Charvel would be great, and ^ you're thinking of the San Dimas models. They're USA made, and play amazingly. They are bolt-on though, but the SoCal has a Tone Zone bridge and Evolution neck to get just about any sound, and it's great for any soloist styles like Steve Vai in particular. The neck is smooth and comfortable, and it has an Original Floyd Rose.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

any jackson above $500 is gonna be great in my opinion. i found a used sl3 soloist at the local sam ash for $650 and i talked the guy down to $600. its got real seymour duncans, a real floyd rose and a set neck. i paid less than half what i would have new. definately look around used and you can find a great guitar for a great price.
PS if you look on guitar centers website they have a feature that lists all the used gear in all their stores so you can look and even order something from guitar centers used selection.
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
hmm would you guys prefer jackson over ibanez you think...I was think about getting a charvel also but I cant find any..

Edit: wow that soloist is very nice
Quote by CaparisonCore
Probably a Japanese made Soloist, or a high-end Dinky. Here's an SL-3 Super Lightweight. Great guitar. Very sleek and sounds good.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SLS3-Soloist-Super-Lightweight-Electric-Guitar?sku=500863

But what kind of music do you play? Do you want a heavy sound (EMG's and such) or versatile? And neck-thru or bolt? Floyd or Fixed bridge?

answer this guy's questions and we can help you further. IMO the headstock on that soloist is ugly, but everyone has diff tastes.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I think the Soloist is a nice guitar in that price range. Warriors are cool too.
Musicians I Want To See Live

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Quote by CaparisonCore

I play everything but my primary is metal (i want dimarzio's I'll prolly just install them in if it doesnt have them) ..and I dont want a Floyd Rose so that guitar is awesome (love the headstock too)
Last edited by TrustMeWhenISay at Jul 14, 2009,
although I am a bassplayer by trade and have a dozen Charvel basses. I have played many Charvel guitars, even down to the crappy Charvette series.

All the 80's Jap "cheaper" stuff is excellent. And the newer USA stuff is top notch. Sometimes it is hard to get around the point-haters, but not for me. I'll take the Jackson pointy anytime
Yeah, the soloists and the charvels san dimas/so-cal are your best bet. Go for a SLS3 if you want a hardtail, or a SL3 if you want a floyd.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl