Hi all

Ive only been playing about a year but im really into it. The only thing that does my head in is trying to get the right tones.

I have a line 6 spider 3 amp, and have got some good tones but somthing still isnt right.

Ive been to shops and not really sure how to discribe what is wrong.

basically im in to kings of leon and oasis and ACDC , cant seem to get the solo tones right and the chords are a bit muffled and not crisp.

Ive been told to get some seymor duncan pick ups , alternitive 8 ones or 59s or somet, oh and also a digitech pedal with loads of settings on it.

Im a bit confused

As you can see im all new to this and need some help, so lamens terms thanks.

I would really appreciate any help or addvice

thanks james
what guitar do you have?
the easiest way that you will get a better sound is to change your amp i would recomend a roland cube or a vox valvetronix.
Well I the problem you keep hearing is that the Line 6 Spider makes your guitar sound rather digital. This hampers the ability for you to get that biting classic rock tone that Angus has. As far as people telling you to buy pickups and pedals, it won't make a difference until you get a better amp. Hopefully that clears up some conclusion.

Edit: Confusion not conclusion
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Last edited by Its So Easy at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by furnthehoff
I have a line 6 spider 3 amp, and have got some good tones but somthing still isnt right.

There's your problem
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I love all the Trash talking on Line 6...

Line 6 amps are fine for piddling around bedroom jamming.

But I agree, when you start wanting to do some serious tone chasing....time for a Tube Amp.

Fender Blues Jr comes to mind as a great starter tube amp.
Or the Peavey Classic 30 (which is my current amp, very happy with the tone).

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Line 6 spider.......... too many of these threads.
Always Rock!
Quote by Koshman32
There's your problem

Yup...

I hate how every beginner guitar player seems to have that amp!

Probably because it's only $100 and their parents think it's a good deal.

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
Ya I think we've all been there, if u want to get serious and really get the tones u want u NEED to get sum sort of tube amp
Or if you're on a short budget,

Epiphone Valve Jr.

Excellent small tube amp, low price. You can get the combo for probaly $160...

By the way, I started with a Line 6 Spider II 75 Watt.
I then went to the Valve Jr.

Same amount of volume plus better tone.
Throw in a Delay and a good Overdrive pedal like a TubeScreamer....
HEAVENLY tones...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by killerscorpion
Yup...

I hate how every beginner guitar player seems to have that amp!

Probably because it's only $100 and their parents think it's a good deal.

sorry mate got it of my own back, got talked in to it haha , poor me .

but ask for parents , i live on my own mate! and it takes one to know one dosent it you t i t .
Pickups aren't going to help, a pedal might but it's not really very cost effective.

Use the lower gain models, keep the bass lowish, the midrange high and keep the gain backed off too and turn the volume up instead. All the bands you've mentioned don't use a lot of distortion, apart from Oasis who often have that "wall of noise" thing going on...if you've got as far as the metal setting on the amp then you've gone too far.

You can try using a cheap overdrive pedal on the clean channel but there's no guarantees it'll sound any better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Spiders aren't great, but before spending more money I'd make sure its not just your technique thats stopping your chords sound how you want them. Either have a play with a friends amp and see if it fixes the problem, or analyse your technique and make sure all the notes you want to play ring out clearly and any strings you don't want to play are muted effectively.

I've been playing about the same amount of time as you, and I've got a Spider too, and I know for a fact most of my tone problems are me not my amp. I can comfortably make a really good tube amp sound just as crappy as my spider