So, I was watching a video of Eddie Van Halen playing eruption in 94. there is this one point where he starts tapping the fretboard with his right hand (it looks like he is tapping with his pick...), but it sounds like he is doing harmonics. What is he doing, and how can I do it.

PS I can find the clip if you need a reference.
=====Signature Currently Under Construction=====
Quote by MopMaster
Tap or slap harmonics, I'll guess. Basically, you tap a harmonic node without fretting it such that you get the harmonic.

This is kind of the answer.

The full answer is more than the harmonic nodes can still be used if you're fretting a note, you just have to move the nodes accordingly so where ever you're fretting a note there will still be strong harmonics 5, 7 and 12 frets above that. What eddie is doing is tapping on the frets at those points above the fretted notes so that it produces the harmonics.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I just don't know if he is pressing down all the way (like normal tapping) or if he is just barely touching the string (more like a harmonic)
=====Signature Currently Under Construction=====
Tap harmonics, just like Spanish Fly
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by emag42
I just don't know if he is pressing down all the way (like normal tapping) or if he is just barely touching the string (more like a harmonic)

He is tapping the string right above the fret so it makes contact with it and removes his finger quickly so the harmonic rings out. So like normal but on the fret and when you pull off you don't flick the string like you would do with normal tapping.
its easy fret a note at the second fret play the note then tap the fourteenth fret as if you were playing a natural harmonic and youll get one.

SOunds great with a FR too
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.