my telecaster has served me well and I love it for all things bluesy/rock, but am looking for something that is a little bit more aggressive sounding (think metallica) that can also do more than just metal though (van halen?)
things I want in it:
Humbucker(s): at least one, HH, HSS or HSH or H would be fine
22+ frets: 24 would be good, but really, 22 is probably enough
I have not yet fully decided on whether or not I want a Floyd Rose tremolo. I would stay mostly in standard tuning, but don't want something that will just be a pain in my ass.
Thin neck: doesn't have to be a paper thin ibanez, but something less chunky than my telecaster would be great, thinner than a strat neck would be ideal.
NO POINTY GUITARS- I just want a superstrat shape.
I've really just begun my search because I just got a job (boo!) but would be able to afford one now. Budget is ~700 USD. Right now, I'm eyeing these pretty hard.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-ASM-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=516093 (seen priced for 630 new)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=520056
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S470DXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=519933

right now leaning towards the BC Rich (yes, I know that their low end stuff sucks, don't judge the nicer stuff based on that), please give insight on this.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
For shred, Ibanez always takes the cake.

Also, for true shred youmust have 24 frets and a floating tremelo of some type. Otherwise you are just playing fast.....not shredding.
If your thinkin' shred that ibanez is a decentchoice, I really can't tell you more cause I don't have one. Also you might want to check into ESP for the obvious reason many guitarists from metal bands have signature guitars. Although the reviews from the BC Rich make sound promising.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
the bc rich has the best specs and tbh its what id go for, and MOST low end bc richs suck, not all.
I'm going to get the Bc Rich gunslinger retro next and i was pretty prejudiced towards them till i saw that cheap bright OFR/Dimarzio piece of ass.

Edit: i mean piece of ass in a good way, seriously awesome value.
Ibanez just has great necks for playing fast, guitars aren't super heavy, and the one you linked has a great bridge.That thing will never come out of tune.

All i will say is play a BBC Rich before you buy. Might not feel like you would want for fast playing. I know I didn't like them.
Quote by srob7001
Ibanez just has great necks for playing fast, guitars aren't super heavy, and the one you linked has a great bridge.That thing will never come out of tune.

All i will say is play a BBC Rich before you buy. Might not feel like you would want for fast playing. I know I didn't like them.

Yeah, I can't find any specs on the neck of the BC Rich, guitar center doesn't have them in stock either, would have to be custom ordered. I definitely wouldn't want to buy blindly and end up with something that just doesnt feel right
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by srob7001

Also, for true shred youmust have 24 frets and a floating tremelo of some type. Otherwise you are just playing fast.....not shredding.

For the first part +1

But like 2 extra frets and floating tremole are gonna make you sound like shredding not just fast? Like Paul Gilbert almost never goes for those upper frets and he doesn't use the whammy too much either. The skills is in you not in the whammy or the high frets.
鋼の錬金術師
ESP M-II strat or ESP KH-2

EDIT: didnt notice your bugdet

disregard this
Last edited by fluffpuff999 at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by kokotpojebany
I will advise you to get Schecter guitars... I've got a superstrat that cost something below 300USD and it's a great guitar...

He said he wanted a thin neck, so Schecter is probably out of the question.

I'd definitely go with an Ibanez. For shred, I've not found much that could top them.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by srob7001

charvel. and jackson. as long as it has a compound radius neck, its meant for shred.
The PRS is a good guitar but the neck is a bit too thick for shred. Get a Ibanez your fingers will fly on it.
id say get a used jackson soloist or a charvel. these are the guitars shred was invented on so why not buy one. i love the feel of the jackson necks. thin enough to get your hand around and play fast, but heavy enough so you dont feel like youre gonna break it.

plus if you go used you can get a real floyd rose and seymour duncan (maybe EMG) pups.
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
charvels look amazing but seem well out of my price range. I love jacksons, but they are priced a bit high. This week I'm going to test out a bunch in my price range. Does anyone know if you can order a guitar from guitar center and just decide that you don't like it and not buy it?
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by jeffc313
charvels look amazing but seem well out of my price range. I love jacksons, but they are priced a bit high. This week I'm going to test out a bunch in my price range. Does anyone know if you can order a guitar from guitar center and just decide that you don't like it and not buy it?

They have a 30 day return policy. As far as special ordering something to the store you'd probably have to buy it then return it. They won't be too happy.
Quote by srob7001

Yes, because 2 frets and a tremelo suddenly turn you from a fast player into a shredder
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I actually play a Washburn x10. It works nicely for Metal. cheap too, about $189.00
That's a good deal on that Prestige and it comes with a hardshell case. Just beware, Wizard necks are very thin.
Quote by Punkismygod
For the first part +1

But like 2 extra frets and floating tremole are gonna make you sound like shredding not just fast? Like Paul Gilbert almost never goes for those upper frets and he doesn't use the whammy too much either. The skills is in you not in the whammy or the high frets.

I know guy...it was a joke.

But I do like the extra frets, even if you don't use the 23 or 24 it still makes getting to the 21 or 22 a little easier.
Quote by VanTheKraut
Yes, because 2 frets and a tremelo suddenly turn you from a fast player into a shredder

Man you guys are way to serious on this forum.

Yea, because I really thought extra frets and a whammy bar would make you play faster. Jeez!!!
Quote by srob7001

You sir...fail...very...very hard...shredding IS playing fast.
Ywnie has 22 frets, plays a strat, he doesnt use the tremolo, hell, he only has the standard one.
Ibanez and jackson are probly what you want to check out.

Edit: troll, and yes, we are serious on this fourm, its good to get away from idiots in the pit, so we come here for serious-ish things, not just the normal pit stuff.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Tango616
You sir...fail...very...very hard...shredding IS playing fast.
Ywnie has 22 frets, plays a strat, he doesnt use the tremolo, hell, he only has the standard one.
Ibanez and jackson are probly what you want to check out.

Wow, you abviously fail even harder because you didn't even read the entire thread to see that I already commented TWICE that I was joking.
Have a look at the new Charvel guitars

They absolutely **** on most Ibanez's I've played at similar pricings

Might be over budget though not sure what the go for in the US

EDIT: Wow, lot of Charvel love in this thread
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by Dopey_Trout at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Ippon

Go 7! You can snag Used ones in very good condition from $300 and up.

I've never played a 7-stringer, I'd prefer to stick with six. No hate on 7-string ones, but I feel that it would throw me off too much. From what I've seen, Charvels clock in at over $1000 USD, which is pretty far out of my price range. The one with the tele body looks _amazing_ though!
91 Heartfield Talon II-/