Page 1 of 2
Quote by BrickIsRed
They're fantastic guitars. I don't know why Fender discontinued them. Anyone know?

because a jaguar is better, and they have poor sustain. also cobain was not much of a guitarist, so nobody wants to emulate his playing?
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
because not everyone liked them i guess

Edit
Quote by jeffc313
because a jaguar is better, and they have poor sustain. also cobain was not much of a guitarist, so nobody wants to emulate his playing?

I think a lot of people want to sound like cobain he's one of the most popular guitarist ever so i don't think that's the reason
Last edited by Waffleguy at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by jeffc313

Well, Kurt Cobain aside, I think the JagStang by itself is a great guitar. If I had the cash I would have bought it right there. If you get an opportunity to play one, don't pass it up.
Anyone ever played an original Mustang bass? I don't understand why those were discontinued either
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by jeffc313
An opinion!

They play amazingly well ... and they don't have to sustain like a Gibson Les Paul to sound amazing ... my opinion.

I suspect at least 90% of UGers would give their left nut to reach his level of popularity/notoriety.

Quote by BrickIsRed
They're fantastic guitars. I don't know why Fender discontinued them. Anyone know?
Agreed!

They were great guitars and I'm glad I got the chance to play one at L&M a month or so ago. They dont sustain like an LP but they sound and feel great.

They should really put these out again.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Ugly looking thing. Was a massive Nirvana fan back in my teens so I've always wanted one though.
Looks kind of odd imo, but hey i've never played one so I can't comment on sound or feel
My Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavey Vypyr 75
Epiphone Hummingbird
dont care for the way it looks honestly. not to big of a nirvana/kurt cobain fan either.

and i guess im part of the 10% that WOULD NOT give their left nut to have Kurt Cobain's popularity/notoriety. i like having both my nuts.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
The neck is tiny, so those who prefer the '50s Les Paul baseball neck will probably not like it ... then there are some who aren't bothered by neck profiles, etc., and this may be ideal for those with short fingers.

The 2 PU on/off and in/out phase provides some interesting tones, specially with better PUs. An upgrade will be a vast improvement over the stock Fender PUs that sound puny.

It's obviously not for everyone, given that most have only "experienced" it through forums.

IpponEdit: ^ Good for you!

Last edited by Ippon at Jul 15, 2009,
I heard that even though they were made in Fender's fantastic Japanese factory, they had quality control issues, and were just unpopular. Just because an instrument has a famous name on it, doesn't mean everyone will like it.

Either way, I want the one in sonic blue.

/drool
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Jul 15, 2009,
But the mustang had the same flaw, and players dealt with it. Fender still makes the fender mustang, but the Jagstang is starting to become a footnote in fender history. The bridge cannot be the only issue with the jagstang.

I had heard that there were small issues quality control issues that the jagstang had. They weren't anything directly terrible, just a bunch of small defects. I would say that they were much like modern day gibson, only not anywhere near as bad and their necks did not vary as much as Gibson. I am not saying the guitar was unsuccessful due to QC issues, I am saying that the QC issues helped bring about its downfall.

Personally, I think they main reason the guitar did not sell was the looks. I think they look orgasmic, but I will admit the looks of the guitar are quite polarizing.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
didn't cobain use mustangs? and that he didn't really like/played the jagstang??

well, regardless, the jagstang is ugly, imo... it looks like the retarded one out of the fender bunch
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
^^ True! Quirks, whether in design, playability, etc. can be turn-offs and kill a product. But then, quirks can make them attractive to others plus the fact that it's discontinued. It's not even close to being my "go to" guitar, but I certainly enjoy it, which is all that matters, eh?

Quote by Ippon
^^ True! Quirks, whether in design, playability, etc. can be turn-offs and kill a product. But then, quirks can make them attractive to others plus the fact that it's discontinued. It's not even close to being my "go to" guitar, but I certainly enjoy it, which is all that matters, eh?

That is true. Some players even use them to their advantage.

Quote by Lekz
didn't cobain use mustangs? and that he didn't really like/played the jagstang??

well, regardless, the jagstang is ugly, imo... it looks like the retarded one out of the fender bunch

He did, and this guitar was his brainchild of sorts. He worked with Fender to design this guitar, but died before it ever came into production. Same thing happened with the SRV sig.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
I'd just go for a cyclone instead... Jags are alright but i can't stand the look of mustangs.

As for why they were discontinued, they probably just didn't sell enough.

I think it's safe to say that a majority of people today (or back then, even) would not want to play one. When that happens, companies tend to drop the design and focus on other things.
Despite Kurt's stellar popularity, which along with ulcer pain ultimately drove him to suicide, the JagStang is not an attractive guitar. It's a mash-up of two of Fender's less popular models.

Given that it was nearly 15 years ago that he died, I think that he's simply passed out of public awareness and JagStang sales probably weren't all that great.

Kurt needed to be out of the mainstream. If he had designed a Kurt Cobain signature Stratocaster, it wouldn't have been Kurt, but it might still be an available model. That's his mark on society and the guitar world...disdain for the mainstream but destined to be forgotten by it, like the JagStang.
Personally, even tho I dislike how the guitar looks, I'd definitely get one for my "guitar collection" if I ever get to start one
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
You all should be thankful that they're discontinued.
Atleast there arent creating a million different signature guitars and slamming his name on it. (dimebag)
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

i think fender were getting lots of negative feedback with the jag-stang so they issued the cyclone as an alternative for people who didn't actually like kurt cobain's specifications but still wanted to pretend to be him... then they ended up discontinuing them both.

people complained about the switching system, the scale length, the lack of body contours, the angled bridge humbucker, the mustang trem, and just about everything else the jag-stang had rather than take it for what it is - a replica of a guitar that was built for kurt cobain - people seemed to be surprised when the specs didn't meet up to their own personal requirements, when that's beside the point of the guitar!

so as an answer they ironed out these little quirks with the cyclone, giving it a more regular body shape with contours, putting the bridge humbucker in straight, giving it a strat trem and a 24.75" scale, and a simple 3-way toggle switch... and nobody cared because it wasn't teh kurdtz guitar anymore.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by guitar99099
You all should be thankful that they're discontinued.
Atleast there arent creating a million different signature guitars and slamming his name on it. (dimebag)

But you have to admit it is bad to see this guitar merely disappear. I understand your point about Dimebag (and I think the same amount of blame should be laid on Zack Wylde and Slash), but Fender has been fairly good at over-whoring their musicians. I could see how fender could ***** out SRV, but they haven't. I doubt Kurt Cobain would be subjected to a pimp if Fender took him up again.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
There were several things that I think lead to the Jag-Stang's failure, and this is coming from a guy who's #1 has been a mildly modified Jag-Stang for almost 10 years now as my primary "heavy rock" axe.

- Kurt did not use them enough. He only had ONE of those guitars, which was the one the production model is based upon. That one blue Jag-Stang was only ever used during the 1994 tour here and there, and seldom, if ever seen in photograph or video (at least those in common circulation).

- The design does not jive with enough people. The Mustang is a student guitar, so a lot of people are put off by the Mustang linneage. Kurt said the "Mustang trem was designed by a dork" and was noted to not like whammy bars, so there's slam #2. The switching is counter-intuitive to the norm, most people are used to a pickup selector, not 2 individual switches. There's no contours, the body is the same thickness as a Telecaster, which bugs some people, and the neck is too skinny for some people (which to me is one of the best parts of that model).

- The pickups on the stock Jag-Stangs are weak. Not anything like what Kurt was using, and therefore, to those with good ears, did not sound right.

- The price on those guitars brand new was $699, they were not carried in most stores brand new (you had to custom order one), and when they were in the store they seldom came with the Hardshell Case. The high price had a lot to do with it, most people did not want to spend $700 on a Japanese fender.

- Advertising was rather lacking. There were only ever 4-5 ads for the Jag-Stang ever actually posted up that I've seen, and most of those I've only seen years after they were produced. It also was not a "signature model" but rather a "Designed By" model. A few of those ads did not mention the "Kurt" element (the one with the guy with virtual reality glasses comes to mind).

As for my guitar, I've been playing this since 1999, it's been my main guitar through 4-5 bands now. It has EMG pickups, and I use the vibrato on it a ton, metal style.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Ippon
Not QC issues, more of a design flaw with the floating trem bridge. The most popular mod is to install some version of a Tune-O-Matic Bridge.

Jaguar and Jazzmaster both have a pretty similar floating trem bridge system, they're still made, and not that unpopular...

Maybe they discontinued it because Cobain himself didn't even like it, so why would anyone go through the trouble to buy one if he wouldn't play it...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

way to revive a dead thread
and im sure ur from jag-stang.com
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
I love Jagstangs
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83

As for my guitar, I've been playing this since 1999, it's been my main guitar through 4-5 bands now. It has EMG pickups, and I use the vibrato on it a ton, metal style.
That's awesome. Very nice, natural relic! What kind of EMGs?

Pic after being abused with bends:

More pics, for those who like the JagStang:

CIJ Jaguar:

As stated above this thing was just kinda put out after he died to grab the money from mourning fans....

They couldn't even add some features that his blue mustang had,like a seymour duncan jb in the bridge

I used to own one...it was decent...but still felt like a cheaper fender guitar, but I always liked his dimarzio loaded jaguar better....

The real challenge is finding a sunburst squier jagmaster(which is prolly the cloest in my opinion to his tone and look right out of the box)

Edit:and its sad after all these years and all the evidence and research theirs still people out there that think he killed himself.....congrats for believing what courtney wanted everyone to believe :p
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Last edited by rdobson2 at Sep 14, 2009,
I really want to pick one up when I've got a bit of money spare. They're great guitars and you don't see many of them knocking around, which is a big selling point to me. I get tired of seeing the same 10 guitars everywhere.

Also, Cobain was a great guitarist. I don't care what anyone says on that front. He had an ear for a good melody and knew how to write a good song. It's so popular to hate on Nirvana and Cobain and that kind of sickens me. You don't have to shred to be a good guitarist...the sooner people realise that the better.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
I really want to pick one up when I've got a bit of money spare. They're great guitars and you don't see many of them knocking around, which is a big selling point to me. I get tired of seeing the same 10 guitars everywhere.

Also, Cobain was a great guitarist. I don't care what anyone says on that front. He had an ear for a good melody and knew how to write a good song. It's so popular to hate on Nirvana and Cobain and that kind of sickens me. You don't have to shred to be a good guitarist...the sooner people realise that the better.

i might be selling one very soon
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Quote by steve!
i might be selling one very soon

Excellent, let me know when you do because if I have any cash knocking about I'll be interested.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Excellent, let me know when you do because if I have any cash knocking about I'll be interested.

infact im almost positive im selling it

to fund another sg
iv upgraded the pickups and electrics with better ones
but i do have the originals which i can send with it
its also bee professionally set up and had frets leveled
may be getting rid of in 2 weeks?
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

More of a fan of the jazzmaster, mind if i sidetrack a bit with some pictures?

..although i'd put a half decent trem in there. Damn surfer punks.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

That's awesome. Very nice, natural relic! What kind of EMGs?

An EMG SA in the neck, and an 81 in the bridge.

My other main guitars are a custom built Jazzmaster, a mildly modded Jaguar, and a 60's Mustang with a non-stock paintjob. I switch between them depending upon what sound I need at the moment.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
I'm not too big on Jagstang but I want a Mustang or a Jaguar sooo bad. I wish they made more affordable models. I'm really considering getting a Squier and just let my girlfriend use it since she has started to build up an odd group of guitars. She has a Squier SG and a Westone Spectrum DX. I had never even heard of Westone and it had been sitting in her living room the entire time and I never knew it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by ILuvPillows?
More of a fan of the jazzmaster, mind if i sidetrack a bit with some pictures?

..although i'd put a half decent trem in there. Damn surfer punks.

I've got one at home, and I don't have that much problems with it, it's a really good guitar and as long as you don't go wanking that bar like a prepubescent metalfan would, you won't have that much problems with it going out of tune...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by poipoi
I've got one at home, and I don't have that much problems with it, it's a really good guitar and as long as you don't go wanking that bar like a prepubescent metalfan would, you won't have that much problems with it going out of tune...

....HOW DID YOU KNOW!

But in all seriousness i am a manly guy

>.>

<.<
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Page 1 of 2