http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwqKqYACVA

As the title states, is this one guitar or two? The delay makes it impossible for me to tell. It sounds like it could be just one guitar, but there are certain parts that sound like they would be extremely difficult to do with just one guitar.

I've been listening to this song for over three years now and still don't know if it's one or two guitar(s). Someone please enlighten me.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
2 i think
lp345: It's a virus
rage6945: i went on a little bit torrent spree and got Jay-z's black album
nebno6:Maybe it's god punishing you for having a bad music taste.
nowa90:UGNED!!
Quote by nebno6
2 i think

Big help, bro.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
Could be one. The delay does complicate it, but the difficult parts could be tapping. You never know until you see it done live.
its sounds to me like just 1, i couldn't find anything that clearly has 2 guitars
Gibson les Paul studio
Schecter hellraiser C-1 FR 2008
Guitar Rig - Rig Kontrol
Quote by walruscore
Could be one. The delay does complicate it, but the difficult parts could be tapping. You never know until you see it done live.

Well, seeing as how they never play this song live, I may never know. I know there is one part that is most definitely tapping (harmonics around 30 seconds).

At first listen, it sounds very possible to be done with one guitar. After listening to the song for years, though, I've started questioning myself. If you listen very closely, there are parts that sound as though there is a hand sliding down/up to a chord while there is some type of melody going on.

I guess this was a somewhat idiotic question since the answer can only be attained from one of the members of BTBAM. Thanks anyway.

Quote by z4twenny
It's 1 guitar with a delay.

There's a catch though, it's post processing delay.

Some parts are just slap back delayed.

They put the track through a send, then the delay is put on the send, then routed back through the master after editing.

See the send (delay) track as a separate guitar track, where you can cut parts out.

That's how you can make some notes just delay once or twice, and others multiple times.

EDIT;
It's also the reason why he can play a melody without clashing with the chords, because you can basically loop every part as much as you want.

You hear this on vocal tracks too, where often the lines are sung normal, but the last word or syllable is delayed, while the rest is not.

I don't know an example from the top of my head, but if I coincidentally hear one between now and tomorrow, I'll post it.

Studio magic; It owns.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx

They put the track through a send, then the delay is put on the send, then routed back through the master after editing.

See the send (delay) track as a separate guitar track, where you can cut parts out.

That's how you can make some notes just delay once or twice, and others multiple times.

Studio magic; It owns.

I love you.

+1

Quote by z4twenny
Quote by xxdarrenxx

EDIT;
It's also the reason why he can play a melody without clashing with the chords, because you can basically loop every part as much as you want.

You hear this on vocal tracks too, where often the lines are sung normal, but the last word or syllable is delayed, while the rest is not.

I don't know an example from the top of my head, but if I coincidentally hear one between now and tomorrow, I'll post it.

Studio magic; It owns.

Great explanation, very interesting.

As for an example - Us and Them by Pink Floyd makes use of this. ("And after all, we're only ordinary men (men... men... men)")
Terrible even.