I need help...

Okay, my teacher has me learning arpeggios. Theyre coming to me pretty easy. Now, arpeggios are neat and really fun to play, especiialy with a dash of delay.

My problem however is this, he (my teacher), said that when you play a note of the arpeggio, try to take your finger off it the second you play it. Almost like your trying to beat the clock and deaden the attack. I've been trying to do that, and it just comes off as pull-offs. I've also tried muting the string with my left hand, or finger rather. Palm muting its hard for me to time it right.

Any suggestions?
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
SLOW DOWN. seriously, practice this one note at a time. Fret the note, pick the note, and slowly lift your finger you are fretting with. Try to make it as controlled as possible, and lift your finger until the string is back in its normal position. Then slowly take your finger off so you don't do a pulloff. Do this again, and again, and again slow. Eventually, start to speed it up. Have fun with that...(actually, that sounds like a good exercise...might try that tonight...).
=====Signature Currently Under Construction=====
Quote by emag42
SLOW DOWN. seriously, practice this one note at a time. Fret the note, pick the note, and slowly lift your finger you are fretting with. Try to make it as controlled as possible, and lift your finger until the string is back in its normal position. Then slowly take your finger off so you don't do a pulloff. Do this again, and again, and again slow. Eventually, start to speed it up. Have fun with that...(actually, that sounds like a good exercise...might try that tonight...).

I never said I was trying to play it fast. At best, I'm around 80-85 BPM. Just guessing.

Its funny you mention exercise. My teacher said that if you dont like em, just use em as warm-ups if nothing else.

also thanks for the good tip.

We love you. God Bless.
Don't take your finger right off the string straight away - just relax it so it mutes the string. Then when you release it completely to use that finger somewhere else it can't turn into a pull-off
Quote by zhilla
Don't take your finger right off the string straight away - just relax it so it mutes the string. Then when you release it completely to use that finger somewhere else it can't turn into a pull-off

Bingo! I think you just hit right on the head.

We love you. God Bless.