I'm working on modes right now and I'm kind of stuck. So lets say there is a chord progression Cmaj7, Em7, and Dm7. When the Cmaj7 chord is playing, do I only have to stay in C Ionian and solo or can I move it around and go up to different positions? Same with the Em7 and the Dm7, do I have to stay with that mode or can I play another mode over it?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550DY
Vox AD100VT-XL
Roland Cube 15x
Ibanez V70CE
Are you talking about modes or scale positions?

You can use C Major over that whole progression, and you can play it anywhere on the neck that the notes of C Major appear.
So I can play different positions of the C Major for the whole progression? Wouldn't I have to play that certain mode for that certain chord?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550DY
Vox AD100VT-XL
Roland Cube 15x
Ibanez V70CE
Its relatively unusual to get a progression where you have to change modes. If a chord progression stays in key - and yours is in C Maj - then you generally pick a single scale based on where it resolves to. And you can play that scale in any position, anywhere on the neck.

If your progression resolves to C Major, just use C Major or C Major pentatonic. You can play C Major anywhere you can find the notes C D E F G A B and if you are playing over a C Major progression, you will be playing C Major.

A lot of books and websites name different positions of the major scale after modes, depending on what note you happen to start on in that position. I think this is confusing - you are not playing modes, you are just playing the major scale in a different position. If this is what you're doing, I'd rename the positions - just call them position1 or positions 2 etc of the major scale.
So then I've been doing it wrong this whole time?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550DY
Vox AD100VT-XL
Roland Cube 15x
Ibanez V70CE
Nope - I think you've just been using different positions of the scale, which is fine. I think you've been making life more difficult for yourself by feeling like you have to change positions with every chord change though. Calling the positions by modal names isn't exactly wrong either - just confusing.
So I don't have to change positions every time the chord changes?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550DY
Vox AD100VT-XL
Roland Cube 15x
Ibanez V70CE
Nope. You can stay in the same position for the whole progression. Or you can change positions during the same chord. Its up to you.