I know this is a trick you can do with a guitar, but what about with a bass? Obviously, your gain is going to need to be cranked up HIGH. You'll need some hot pickups (active?). Your treble will need to be turned up pretty high on your bass and your amp, and you might even need a pedal like a tube screamer or some other high distortion pedal to cut your lows a bit.

With ALL that, could you pull it off? I honestly love the effect. It sounds so freaking trippy and different.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Yes, it would take some serious EQ-ing/gain/etc., but I don't see why it wouldn't.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Freakin A. :]
-Edgar Degas
I do not have a tubed amp, active pickups, or a tube screamer or eq pedal... and I don't think Guitar Center would appreciate me screaming that much in their store.
-Edgar Degas
I'm confused about what you mean. Do you mean something like a pinch harmonic?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Tone Deaf
I do not have a tubed amp, active pickups, or a tube screamer or eq pedal... and I don't think Guitar Center would appreciate me screaming that much in their store.

LMAO

Do it. Post the vid.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nope. You literally scream into the pickup.

ah...

I've talked through mine a bit
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
It works. But if you think nobody cares about/hears the bass player when you're playing normally...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
It works. But if you think nobody cares about/hears the bass player when you're playing normally...

As tragic as this is, in most cases it's true.
Still, I say scream until you can scream no more...
Preferably at Guitar Center...
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
You know what. I just might >->

Thanks for the help though. At least now I know it will work. I'll probably practice a bit with someone else's stuff before I decide to change my shopping list to reflect it any.
-Edgar Degas
Quote by thefitz

Well you gota make yourself heard, and alot of people start to ask what the guy with the oversized guitar thing is playing when they see me jumping around on stage
no sig for joo
Quote by Tone Deaf
You know what. I just might >->

I might try it too. I'm facinated by this thing. Just when I though I knew every guitar/bass technique out there... This is amazing. I'm speechless
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
As long as there's something metal (and ferromagnetic) to vibrate in sympathy with your shouting then it should work. I think in the Paul Gilbert Video he's making the string vibrate with his voice. I've also heard of people (sonic youth, I think) just shouting into a guitar pickup with a metal cover which did the same thing.
Hrm. I wonder if your voice would be enough to vibrate the strings on a bass in an understandable manner >.> Course, guess I could do the same thing by making or getting a metal cover for my pickup.

EDIT: The inspiration for this came from watching Jon Foreman do it. I don't have the concert DVD on me, so I can't see exactly how he's doing it, but it sounded and looked epic. He had some of his effects on. Had a really mysterious sound.
-Edgar Degas
Last edited by Tone Deaf at Jul 15, 2009,
Step one : get a high gain pedal
Step two : scream into pick ups

You can use a megaphone if you'd like, it sounds good.

To emulate this without literally screaming into your pickups, use a Harmonica mic and a tube amp and a lot of overdrive, but do NOT scream into the mic, your ears will die (you only have to whisper with a Harmonica mic).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
Step one : get a high gain pedal
Step two : scream into pick ups

You can use a megaphone if you'd like, it sounds good.

And this will work with any pickups? passive or active or whatever? (has a squier Jazz bass)
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
And this will work with any pickups? passive or active or whatever? (has a squier Jazz bass)

Yes. The hotter the pups, the less gain is needed. I can't scream into my J pickup, but I can into my P. My pickups are very bad though, so it is impractical because I need to turn the gain up heaps and use a lot of high gain pedals, etc.

A guitar that makes a lot of feedback is good as well.

Most of the time I see screaming into Jazzmasters and Jags; I'm not sure what basses would be quite like that.

anyway, yeah, it can be done on any guitar, but you just need to help passive guitars out a little.
Now say his name.....
Right. So, for a bass, I'll need probably some active pickups. That, or a tubed amp. I'm working on the high-gain pedal part. Just not sure what one to get for a bass.
-Edgar Degas
a guitar pedal might be nice because of the more highs. The better your instrument is at harmonics, the better it will be at this (so make sure to boost your high mids too)
Now say his name.....
So, a Tube Screamer would work good?

(is eyeballing that Delta-labs version for only 50 bucks)
-Edgar Degas
It works alot better with a badly potted pickup. This'd lead me to assume you would be better with passive rather than active pickups. I think I read somewhere you can, like, un-pot a pickup and remove some wax to get more microphonic properties - however, be aware of the -ve's that come with having badly potted pickups -> feedback, lots of popping&crackling etc.
Well, jim, they are better for different reasons. Protected passive pickups are probably the worst thing to use (though you can if you have enough gain and harmonic). Unprotected and active pickups are both good (in my example I mention Jazzmasters, which are active and unprotected if I remember correctly).

I wouldn't mod your bass just to be able to do this.

I can't help you much besides this, just saying what I know (which is nothing technical). If you honestly cannot get it to work (or it is too faint to hear over yourself screaming (so yeah, you need your amp LOUD)). You can try a phone if you're feeling adventurous. First try something simple like putting your phone against your pups and listening to a ringtone. I once used my amp as a listening monitor with my phone on speaker (and used a phone mic for voice), it was funny.
Now say his name.....
Hrm. I will try it out with just my stuff then, but I have been looking to mod my bass anyways.
-Edgar Degas
Is there anything you can use as a substitute for gain? I have a Fender Bassman and I want to try this, but i has no gain options and i have a pedalboard without a gain pedal in it. Is there any EQing that may work.

Also, how can this really be used for helpful purposes I'm very intrigued by this technique, but i don't know what good it can do.
Try adding more delay.
megaphone? It just sounds sweet. A megaphone should produce the right effect, though it will add extra distortion.,
Now say his name.....
Quote by telecastrmastr
Is there anything you can use as a substitute for gain? I have a Fender Bassman and I want to try this, but i has no gain options and i have a pedalboard without a gain pedal in it. Is there any EQing that may work.

Also, how can this really be used for helpful purposes I'm very intrigued by this technique, but i don't know what good it can do.

Sadly, I don't think you can do it without gain. I tweaked the EQ every way possible trying to do the thing with the phone, and it didn't work until I turned on my grunge pedal.

And I guess it would be used as a part in songs, I never got the purpose either
It sounds and looks amazing during shows.
Now say his name.....
Especially when playing weird trippy songs

*tries to think of a way to cram it into Comfortably Numb*
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
Especially when playing weird trippy songs

*tries to think of a way to cram it into Comfortably Numb*

''There'll be no more AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGHHHHHHH''
o_o

Brilliant!

But how to go quickly from singing and playing to screaming into pickups? >__>
-Edgar Degas
Last edited by Tone Deaf at Jul 19, 2009,
So it's just your voice vibrating the strings?
I'm having trouble grasping how this is achieved without your words being made of metal.

When I first opened the thread I though TS was just being a tosser, but it seems he is bang on.
I've never seen or heard anything about people doing this before, it's quite a revelation, so thank you for that.

*Goes to investigate.*