I would like to learn from tabs but when i learn from a tab i have the idea i'm not improving my composition knowledge. I'm only playing the numbers on screen but not learning how to create songs like it. Or am i wrong?
I think it only depends on basic --really basic-- musical theory. Things as knowing fourths, eights, sixteenths, etc. If you are playing using a tab one good technique is to figure out the tempo and therefore figure out the length of each note, so that you start familirizing yourself with the length of notes and how to use them. So then you can start doodling around and improvising and you will know what kind of notation to use when you want to write down something. So, studying from tabs, with a little tiny help, can help you improve your composition skills.
Quote by angusfan16

That penis guitar. Hell, i'd wank it.

UG's MEXICAN DRUMMER
Quote by BlackApparatus
I think it only depends on basic --really basic-- musical theory. Things as knowing fourths, eights, sixteenths, etc. If you are playing using a tab one good technique is to figure out the tempo and therefore figure out the length of each note, so that you start familirizing yourself with the length of notes and how to use them. So then you can start doodling around and improvising and you will know what kind of notation to use when you want to write down something. So, studying from tabs, with a little tiny help, can help you improve your composition skills.

But will it also help me write songs in the style of the song i learnt via tab? I probably need to then learn every scale, chord, and technique used in the tab, right?
Quote by robinlint
I would like to learn from tabs but when i learn from a tab i have the idea i'm not improving my composition knowledge. I'm only playing the numbers on screen but not learning how to create songs like it. Or am i wrong?

Well you don't plan on doing that for like your entire "career" or life do you?

I mean, tab's help a person that isn't skilled enough to learn something by ear and/or by reading. Use tab, while you need it, but make the effort to develop beyond that stage.

If you want to know how to create songs........ learn songs. I don't mean read the numbers off of a page (though that might get you started), I mean really LEARN songs. Know it aurally..... learn the theory if you're able. (If not, start with the basics and eventually your knowledge will catch up to your playing abilities).
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well you don't plan on doing that for like your entire "career" or life do you?

I mean, tab's help a person that isn't skilled enough to learn something by ear and/or by reading. Use tab, while you need it, but make the effort to develop beyond that stage.

There's nothing wrong with tab, it's just a matter of how you approach it.

No, indeed. I do not want to only play tabs and not have any knowledge on how to compose music.

I posted this reply just as you edited your post. Here follows my edit:

If you want to know how to create songs........ learn songs. I don't mean read the numbers off of a page (though that might get you started), I mean really LEARN songs. Know it aurally..... learn the theory if you're able. (If not, start with the basics and eventually your knowledge will catch up to your playing abilities).

How do i find out the theory behind a song? I'll take this one, Mary Lou by Sonata Arctica. Here are the chords.
Apart from the chords, what theory is behind that song? Obviously a scale, because there is also lead in that song. I've played that song many times, and played lead over it also, and i know it's the natural minor scale. But what other theory is in that song?
Last edited by robinlint at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by robinlint
No, indeed. I do not want to only play tabs and not have any knowledge on how to compose music.

Well there ya go
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well there ya go

Please look at my post again. I've edited it.
Just learning a song from a tab is no different to painting by numbers or teaching a parrot to talk - it's simple mimicry with no understanding required.

It's up to the individual to look beyond the tab to find out what's actually going on and understand it rather than simply looking to see where to put their fingers. Some players barely even listen to what they play, they just blindly follow the numbers. You need to look how songs are constructed, look at the chords they contain and the scales that are used over them and above all listen to how it all fits together.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Just learning a song from a tab is no different to painting by numbers or teaching a parrot to talk - it's simple mimicry with no understanding required.

It's up to the individual to look beyond the tab to find out what's actually going on and understand it rather than simply looking to see where to put their fingers. Some players barely even listen to what they play, they just blindly follow the numbers. You need to look how songs are constructed, look at the chords they contain and the scales that are used over them and above all listen to how it all fits together.

Thanks
Quote by robinlint

How do i find out the theory behind a song?

this.........

Quote by steven seagull
look how songs are constructed, look at the chords they contain and the scales that are used over them and above all listen to how it all fits together.

I'll just add that these are very useful things to be able to recognize:

1) what key or key's the song is in
2) what the chord progression/ chord progressions are
3) how each note of the melody relates to the chord
* understand chord tones VS non chord tones
4) how the melody is phrased (you should be able to identify each phrase)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 14, 2009,