This seemed like a fine idea - hopefully the mods agree. (If not, feel free to delete or move this thread)

Post hints and tips about guitar techniques here. Things like how to make a pinch harmonic sound good, or pick techniques you discovered, tips on posture, and so on. Hints and tips you want to share with the world, but do not want to make a seperate thread for.

Or share a guitar technique that you have found out but not many people know of.
Pinch Harmonics can become easier when you find the guitar's sweet spot on your currently selected pup or hum
When tremolo picking keep a steady and light touch ,hitting harder makes things harder.
These are the two most valuable tips I've found
It does sound pretty good. I've been dabbling with a lot of harmonic ideas. Pinch harmonics, natural harmonincs, slap harmonics.

Pinch harmonics are kinda easy to figure out, so no use of really explaining them. There is the classical harmonics, that you tap a harmonic 12 frets from what you're fretting, pretty cool for any melodies you want to hear higher pitched.

Tap harmonics is kinda the same thing, however I usually use the technique with chords. Fret some chords, and tap them 12 frets above. Fun part about that, is you can create some really complex rhythms that you might not be able to achieve with your pick.

Then of course the famous "harp" harmonics that you hear some virtuosos (Namely Eric) use. The trick with that, is for instance (Taken from Eric himself) if you're looking at it in your normal guitar tuning (starting on the 12th fret) you'd pluck the D string, then tap the harmonic of the E string, so it'll be chromatically correct. Then you just go down the notes, really cool for chords and makes a real open airy sound. If you don't understand this, there is Eric's lesson from his Total Electric Guitar DVD on youtube where he talks about his harmonic techniques.

Also, if you want a warmer sound for jazzier stuff, strum chords or octaves with your thumb. It sounds smoother than with a pick.
Quote by The.new.guy
Normally, you would ask the mod first...Not a bad idea, though.

Why should i ask a mod if i may create a thread? Every thread i've started on nearly all forums here i've started without permission from a mod, mainly because i didn't HAVE to ask whether i may start a thread. And thank you for the compliment

---

To all the others, thank you for the contribution to the thread . Here's what I have to share:

When you play a melody/lead/solo, don't keep repeating the same pattern over and over and don't remain at the same place of the fretboard for the duration of the whole song.

When tremolo picking, make sure you are comfortable switching between strings while tremolo picking, otherwise you will get stuck tremolo picking on one string. (I still have trouble switching to different strings while tremolo picking)

If you have a guitar with a floyd rose, make sure when you tune it for the first time (or when the fine-tuning bolts have gone out of range) that the bolts used for fine-tuning are screwed all the way up, so that you have a greater range of pitch when you want to fine-tune.

Another floyd rose tip: Don't tune the guitar with Floyd Rose with the normal tuning method. Do the cross-tuning method, otherwise the Floyd Rose will get out of tune really fast. Here's how cross-tuning goes: First tune the low E string (6th string), then the high E string (First string), then the A string (5th string), then the B string (2nd string), then the D string (4th string), then the G string (3rd string).
Last edited by robinlint at Jul 15, 2009,
I actually find it easier to tune my floyde in the followin manner:

Low E
High E
G String
A string
B string
D string
Quote by srob7001

Low E
High E
G String
A string
B string
D string

I'll try that out the next time i have to tune my guitar. Thanks
Quote by srob7001

Low E
High E
G String
A string
B string
D string

Yeah, crossing over keeps it more even and less going back and forth .. sharp and flats.

I've never done it in this exact order but something along the line.
Just making sure this thread isn't falling behind, because without people to contribute to it, it won't contain any useful information. Because a bump would be against the rules in this forum without anything to add to it, i have this:
- Make sure you fret with the TIP of your pinky.
- Please, please, please, don't anchor. I still have to get rid of it, but i don't like it that i'm anchoring. It also makes me mute a lot of strings by accident.
- For sweep picking, learn to construct arpeggios